• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Here you go - brand new UH-60 M. Will these same ferry tanks fit on a Navy Sierra?
View attachment 16124
Would they? Sure.
Will NAVAIR procure/test/fund them...of course not.

In all seriousness, I don't they they would work with -S because Navy only bought single pylon bat wings and it's appears there would be some clearance issues with the fuel tank and stub wing on the inner pylon.

hscs

pilot
Would they? Sure.
Will NAVAIR procure/test/fund them...of course not.

In all seriousness, I don't they they would work with -S because Navy only bought single pylon bat wings and it's appears there would be some clearance issues with the fuel tank and stub wing on the inner pylon.
Was told the main reason was that those tanks didn't meet the shipboard crashworthy test requirements, so rather than develop tanks that meet the shipboard requirements we stuck with the internal tanks.

Besides, who wants to carry an extra 2k of gas on top of the internals for PG?

Renegade One

None
Not a CAG bird, but a color bird nonetheless. VFA-101 is the FRS though so I don't think they'll ever have 'fleet' birds.
Looks pretty sharp...
No fleet squadron is going to have CAG birds for those things. Rhinos are getting rid of their CAG birds now. Times are changing
You meant to say that the pendulum is just swinging in that direction now, yes? We were never going to have CAG birds on TPS birds either…until we did. Some squadrons went full retard:
420225-bigthumbnail.jpg

Renegade One

None
What squadron were these two in?
At the time of their record-setting flight in 1961 (55 years ago TODAY, as luck would have it), I would have thought Lieutenants Huntington "Hunt" Hardisty (pilot) and Earl Henry "Duke" DeEsch (RIO) were assigned to some test squadron or test center (I don't recognize the patches) but all images for the aircraft itself show it marked as assigned to VF-101 DET A:
01.jpg

600x400xMcDonnell-F4H-1F-Phantom-II-Bu.-No.-145307-Sageburner-28-Aug-1961.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ubR4DJ47eM.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I figured they'd get test guys to do that kind of stuff, so can I imagine that today? Yup.

Pags

N/A
pilot
What squadron were these two in?
Wikipedia page on Hunter Hardistry says he was a Test Pilot when he few the Sageburner flight. which would make sense because taking prototype aircraft (it was a YF4H-1) and doing outside the envelope stuff was still test pilot stuff even back then.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Looks pretty sharp...

You meant to say that the pendulum is just swinging in that direction now, yes? We were never going to have CAG birds on TPS birds either…until we did. Some squadrons went full retard:
420225-bigthumbnail.jpg

I meant to say the direction is no more CAG birds or you fail MPA / AMI. Waivers will no longer be granted. At least for Rhinos that is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.