• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which AW personality would you most like to meet?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
9b29661baecc6b6b31934eba392cefe3.jpg
That placard looks familiar. :D

image.jpeg

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
It's still blowing my mind that you'd layover in ATL and go to fucking Hooters. W. T. F. O.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's still blowing my mind that you'd layover in ATL and go to fucking Hooters. W. T. F. O.
You have 12 hours, no car, narrow body FO salary and it is a short walk down the road from the hotel. Welcome to the glamorous life of an airline pilot.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
You have 12 hours, no car, narrow body FO salary and it is a short walk down the road from the hotel. Welcome to the glamorous life of an airline pilot.

Wait, I always thought it was about The Show?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor

Wait, I always thought it was about The Show?
It is about The Show. If you do your schedule right, you're home 16-18 nights a month with 15 or so days off completely. So a junior pilot gets a few layovers that suck. The rest of the time the QOL beats the shit out of anything the Navy provides. And if you're on a narrowbody after the first 2 years, it's by choice. But I bet you'd still be making more than your Navy pay.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is about The Show. If you do your schedule right, you're home 16-18 nights a month with 15 or so days off completely. So a junior pilot gets a few layovers that suck. The rest of the time the QOL beats the shit out of anything the Navy provides. And if you're on a narrowbody after the first 2 years, it's by choice. But I bet you'd still be making more than your Navy pay.
To recap re. QOL, that is 15 days at your neighborhood Hooters and DD. PER MONTH!!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And if you're on a narrowbody after the first 2 years, it's by choice.
I don't think I will have an opportunity to jump back to widebody until perhaps the 5 year mark. I keep watching the seniority on the junior 777 FO in the AA system and it is 2000 numbers senior to me. Our 76/75 fleet is rapidly shrinking, I still have friends flying it, but they keep losing lines. Will be awhile before I can jump to the 77, 78 or 350 (which we just pushed back our order by 18-22 months per bird, sigh!). It appears that the other majors have a better shot at going to wide body sooner, though a lot of my friends have switched to narrow body to improve QOL (become line holders, etc). All in all, with over a decade of stagnation, I can't complain how good life is! :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of course, everything is by choice in the airline biz. But you choose among the cards dealt ya, and considering your own situation. Some bases may not have wide body flying or so little it is crazy senior. So sure, at the 2.5 year mark you can bid to another base, commute 2 hours and sit in a crash pad because you are stuck on reserve for the next 3 -4 years. Or, like the case for some guys I flew with on the MD 80, the schedules on the 777 paid just a few hundred more a month than a top MD 80 line due to the effiency of the flying. So they stayed narrow body and didn't have to deal with flying to third world countries.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Only if you're Mad Dog
F**K yeah! :D

Some of the dudes on our masters road racing team took me to Dunkin' today during our road ride...good times! Just for the record...Dunkin' is one of our team sponsors. :D

image.jpeg

image.jpeg