• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is API family accompanied? Is it worth it to move?

onlycraigdarlin

pilot
Reviving this thread to see if the current policy and typical flow is the same as it was 6 years ago.

Is it still expected that married SNA's will PCS to API with follow on orders to Whiting?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Reviving this thread to see if the current policy and typical flow is the same as it was 6 years ago.

Is it still expected that married SNA's will PCS to API with follow on orders to Whiting?

That's never been a concrete policy. You'll go where you're needed- married or not.

onlycraigdarlin

pilot
That's never been a concrete policy. You'll go where you're needed- married or not.

Needs of the Navy, yes. At which point after commissioning (or at OCS) would you know about follow on? It'd be good to get a general timeframe to expect so my wife and I can plan our upcoming leasing plan for the mean time.

I appreciate the feedback.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
As far as your lease, if you move out on orders, you should be able to break the lease with no penalty, as long as you give 30 days (IIRC) notice, thanks to the required military clause. Tossing that out there in case it helps.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Needs of the Navy, yes. At which point after commissioning (or at OCS) would you know about follow on? It'd be good to get a general timeframe to expect so my wife and I can plan our upcoming leasing plan for the mean time.

I appreciate the feedback.

You'll know where you're going for follow-on the day they tell you... It's been the day you class up for API or the day you complete academics previously. Be mentally prepared to move in as little as two weeks notice for each phase of flight school. Unfortunately many spouses find themselves along for the ride and under employed while their spouses are in flight training.

If you want to play it safe move near whiting and commute to API... 50/50 shot you'll move. If you move to the back gate to perdido, 100% chance you'll move as long as the property you live in is outside 35miles from whiting (double check Florida military clause).

onlycraigdarlin

pilot
You'll know where you're going for follow-on the day they tell you... It's been the day you class up for API or the day you complete academics previously. Be mentally prepared to move in as little as two weeks notice for each phase of flight school. Unfortunately many spouses find themselves along for the ride and under employed while their spouses are in flight training.

If you want to play it safe move near whiting and commute to API... 50/50 shot you'll move. If you move to the back gate to perdido, 100% chance you'll move as long as the property you live in is outside 35miles from whiting (double check Florida military clause).

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. One last question, is API considered a PCS if you have dependents or is it all contingent upon the follow on orders?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. One last question, is API considered a PCS if you have dependents or is it all contingent upon the follow on orders?

Someone can better answer this than I can, but I thought it counted from commissioning source: I don't believe anyone from USNA or NROTC was able to get it as a PCS whereas some OCS guys who knew they had follow on at Whiting were able to get it to count as a PCS? I may be wrong there...