• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18C down

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I saw this. My condolences go out to his family. I was surprised to read that the SAR bird is civilian.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Thoughts and prayers for the fallen, and and everyone affected by this tragedy.

I was surprised to read that the SAR bird is civilian.

It's more common than you might think, especially in inland areas such as TNP. Not sure who the normal SAR alert unit is, but there's a lot of square mileage to cover down there. Local PD or Sheriff's department can often get to a given spot more quickly, especially outside of "normal" working hours (e.g. 2230).

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Thoughts and prayers for the fallen, and and everyone affected by this tragedy.

It's more common than you might think, especially in inland areas such as TNP. Not sure who the normal SAR alert unit is, but there's a lot of square mileage to cover down there. Local PD or Sheriff's department can often get to a given spot more quickly, especially outside of "normal" working hours (e.g. 2230).
The only Marine SAR remaining is in Yuma, and that is supposed to shut down soon.

Thoughts and prayers for the pilot, family, and squadron.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
It's been a tough year for that squadron and the Marine Hornet community in general. Damn. :(