• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Supply Chances and Selections

RaginCajun

To echo what the others have said, it's tough. REALLY tough to get in without graduate school and significant work experience.

Without getting too specific, here is a brief description of the set of people in my Supply class (most selected at the 2013 board)

-Product line CFO for major bank (had MBA, CFA)
-Owner of multi-million dollar self started company (had MBA) x 2
-Prior service Navy, multiple deployments, in supply and other ratings, all MBA, most management level or higher in current jobs
-Doctoral level candidates with significant work experience
-Level III DAWIA contactors
-Published author

Fresh of college described no one selected, at least in my group. It's a tough time to try and get in.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Thank you for the prompt feedback gentlemen, I was considering SWO but being that my degree is in Business Administration I figured Supply would better suit my background. I've also considered enlisting in the reserves and cross rating to supply to gain more experience and enhance my service record. Would this help me at all, or would I best be served working towards an MBA?
Why not go active duty/OCS?

RaginCajun

He probably has a better shot going AD, but that low GPA is going to be hard to overcome.

My GPA for undergrad was under 3.0. I don't remember exactly how low, maybe 2.6? But I did have grad and doctoral school in my packet.

I was told DCO wasn't for recent grads.

KCollen

Hello all,

Very long time lurker, first time poster. Lots of great info here.

Not sure how active this thread is but want to put my stats out there as a DCO Supply hopeful, and I appreciate any feedback. Based on the data and the conversations throughout this forum, I understand that this would be a very long road with very little chance of success, but I'm very interested in at least putting a package together.

Stats:

- 34yo male
- 10 years of work experience in various industries, currently Director
- 10 years of management experience (lead a team of 4 out of college with continuous progressive responsibility up to my current role with over 400 contract and permanent staff under my leadership)
- BA humanities from R1 school, 2006 (average GPA)
- MBA operations management from top regional northeastern school, 2016 (formal concentration is "business process improvement" i.e. stats, lean, six sigma, but a lot of coursework in supply chain, analytics, and operations research as well - average GPA, never been great academically)
- Have 3+ years contract management experience at the Director level (not primary job responsibility, however)
- Certified in my industry, pursuing CMQ/OE with ASQ currently
- Work experience includes inventory management (inventory manager), food service management (general manager of food service operation reports to me), retail management (general manager and multi-unit "district manager" type role)
- No prior service

Thanks for the time.

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
I think you're a great candidate for the following reasons:

1. experience in leadership with quantifiable numbers ... be sure your resume points that out.
2. Contracting: that's a BIG plus in our community
3. MBA
4. Still young with plenty of time to serve
5. non-prior service so no risk of punching out soon due to reaching retirement years of service

Icing on the cake? Make sure you interview with a Captain, reserve Supply officer. Even better? 2 of them.

Good luck!

Jones29681

I'll go ahead and jump in with my stats as well. I've been around the forum for a year or so doing my due diligence. Learned a lot and connected with a good group of folks that have provided a ton of valuable feedback already. Finally going to drop my kit for the board next summer.

- 34 year old. Male
- Bachelors in Business Admin, specializing in Operations Management. Overall GPA is meh, about 2.7
- MBA from top 40 program. GPA 3.88 Beta Gamma Sigma, Graduated top of the cohort
- 12 years professional experience, all in a management capacity
- For the last 9 years I've been the President of my family's manufacturing and importing business. Lots of experience in dealing with international logistics, inventory management, corporate financing and cash flow optimization, and general business management.
- 30 employees
- Non-prior
- Good extracurriculars with leadership roles (coaching, Past President of local alumni association)

Biggest concern I have is how to best explain the value my small business experience brings to the Navy. To be clear, I believe I bring valuable skills (accountability to goals/employees, decision making, leadership, etc), but unlike when I worked FOR a big company at the beginning of my career, I don't have a file of supervisor evals and certifications to provide a paper trail of my career. Also makes getting letters of recommendation a little complicated. For B school I used some key customers and suppliers/partners overseas for my LORs, but this is an area I'll need to get creative as I don't have a supervisor.

I appreciate any feedback you guys can offer. Thank you!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I think you're a great candidate for the following reasons:

1. experience in leadership with quantifiable numbers ... be sure your resume points that out.
2. Contracting: that's a BIG plus in our community
3. MBA
4. Still young with plenty of time to serve
5. non-prior service so no risk of punching out soon due to reaching retirement years of service

Icing on the cake? Make sure you interview with a Captain, reserve Supply officer. Even better? 2 of them.

Good luck!

Pretty sure you're this guy's recruiter

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
I'll go ahead and jump in with my stats as well. I've been around the forum for a year or so doing my due diligence. Learned a lot and connected with a good group of folks that have provided a ton of valuable feedback already. Finally going to drop my kit for the board next summer.

- 34 year old. Male
- Bachelors in Business Admin, specializing in Operations Management. Overall GPA is meh, about 2.7
- MBA from top 40 program. GPA 3.88 Beta Gamma Sigma, Graduated top of the cohort
- 12 years professional experience, all in a management capacity
- For the last 9 years I've been the President of my family's manufacturing and importing business. Lots of experience in dealing with international logistics, inventory management, corporate financing and cash flow optimization, and general business management.
- 30 employees
- Non-prior
- Good extracurriculars with leadership roles (coaching, Past President of local alumni association)

Biggest concern I have is how to best explain the value my small business experience brings to the Navy. To be clear, I believe I bring valuable skills (accountability to goals/employees, decision making, leadership, etc), but unlike when I worked FOR a big company at the beginning of my career, I don't have a file of supervisor evals and certifications to provide a paper trail of my career. Also makes getting letters of recommendation a little complicated. For B school I used some key customers and suppliers/partners overseas for my LORs, but this is an area I'll need to get creative as I don't have a supervisor.

I appreciate any feedback you guys can offer. Thank you!

I don't think a lot of your concerns are warranted. Many Supply Corps officers are small business owners and entrepreneurs. They get it. On your resume, just be sure to include quantifiable things like you mentioned here. What you manage...budget numbers, for example. People...how many and doing what? Letters of Recommendation won't be your concern as they are for active duty applicants...in-person interviews are the critical piece. YOUR impression you make in front of a Reserve Captain/Commander will have enormous weight at the board along with your credentials.

Gator Guard

always knife hands
We had a DCO in my BQC class. Awesome guy, prior QM, managed to get the 5.5 months off his gov. job in contracting to do the AD BQC. What suprised me was that he is just going out there to be a DISBO, maybe FSO. Makes it look like they are looking for people extremely over qualified. Am I missing something here, or do people really want to be a ENS DISBO at 35?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
We had a DCO in my BQC class. Awesome guy, prior QM, managed to get the 5.5 months off his gov. job in contracting to do the AD BQC. What suprised me was that he is just going out there to be a DISBO, maybe FSO. Makes it look like they are looking for people extremely over qualified. Am I missing something here, or do people really want to be a ENS DISBO at 35?
As someone who is non prior service trying to become a reserve ensign at 35 yrs old, the answer is yes: some of us are crazy enough to want to do it. Maybe it checks a bucket list item. Maybe it's for the benefits/retirement. Maybe it opens career doors (e.g. security clearance, networking with people you met in the wardroom). Maybe it's to get away from the spouse and kids one weekend a month. Who knows.