• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just saw this pop on Vertical Reference....

I saw that on jsfirm the other day. 500 hours B206 time. Sad face...

I have to wonder how flexible that is. I wonder how many H-57/-67/-58 pilots there are versus how many are willing to do that work for whatever the pay is. I was also interested in seeing it's a 24/on job, or at least that's how it read on the listing I saw. I'm curious how that works out legally with the FARs.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think that just means the unit as a whole has to provide 24 hour coverage. Now, they don't have many pilots, so that is a shit-ton of duty time, whether at the airport or on recall. Having never worked standby, I don't know how being on an electronic tether works from an FAA standpoint.

I know that we have 8 pilots and 4 aircraft at BPD, and we don't advertise anything close to 24/7.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Life aboard a USNS ship. (as in your own stateroom with your own bathroom, tv and internet) No collateral duties or standing watch. No flying that day?-then sleep til noon. 2 gyms - that are almost always empty. Officer's mess. Ice cream bar - uh, back to the gym. Port calls in the Med and the Pacific. 6 weeks on and then 6 weeks completely off. Training somewhere nice: Stavanger, Paris, Joburg, Durbin. It is tough for married guys, but a dream job for some single guys.
So Randy - who is hiring in that space now? I'm genuinely interested...

Chuck

ChuckMK23

pilot
I think that just means the unit as a whole has to provide 24 hour coverage. Now, they don't have many pilots, so that is a shit-ton of duty time, whether at the airport or on recall. Having never worked standby, I don't know how being on an electronic tether works from an FAA standpoint.

I know that we have 8 pilots and 4 aircraft at BPD, and we don't advertise anything close to 24/7.
I know from my EMS experience you needed 4 pilots per aircraft for 24 hour coverage x 7 x 365.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
ChuckMk23,

The company is Erickson. The job is on one of the new hybrid Civ/USN operated supply ships, and the craft is a Puma. The basic requirements here are:

Overview:
  • Puma Pilot required in support of US Navy VERTREP Contract
  • Perform External Load and Passenger carrying Operations
  • Perform ground & flight responsibilities , authority and accountability IAW scope and nature of the FAA Part 135 Regulations, Rotor Craft Flight Manuals, and EHI Air Carrier Certificate General Operations Manual, EHI Training Manual, and EHI Safety Management System (SMS). Failures to comply with these regulatory requirements are grounds for disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.
  • FAA Commercial Pilots Certificate, Rotorcraft-Helicopter
  • FAA Instrument-Helicopter Rating
  • FAA Second Class Medical
  • Secret Clearance or the ability to gain one
  • 1500 Hours Turbine Rotorcraft
  • 50 Hours in Puma series in last 60 months; 10 in last 12months
  • 150 Hours External Load Operations for PIC positions
  • 100 Hours in last 12 months (up to 25 of those hours in sim)
  • 25 Hours Night Flight in last 60 months
  • 50 Hours Navy VERTREP or Offshore experience
  • Holds or will obtain a US passport for international travel
  • Desired Experience
  • Preferred ATP
    Minimum 3,000 hours PIC Helicopter
  • SA330/332 experience preferred
  • FAR 135 & 133 experience
  • Navy VERTREP operations
  • 250 Hours Offshore Experience
  • 500 Hours External Load Operations
  • Ship Board Fire Fighting
  • Helicopter Control Officer qualified
  • U.S. DoD Secret Clearance
Here is a link: https://careers-ericksonaviation.ic...edirect=false&jan1offset=-300&jun1offset=-240

ChuckMK23

pilot
So - my ask on advice - if you were me, 4,000 hours, ATP, current medical - but haven't flown a helicopter in almost 20 years - how do you break in to this kind of role?

It from the posting the goal it to simply hire someone already current is a Super Puma.

I haven't flown professionally since 1998 - since flying EMS in the BK-117.

But now have the flexibility in life, financial savings, and most importantly a clean FAA Second Class Medical.

I would sincerely appreciate advice on practical steps.

@mad dog - I'll need this if we are going to fly for Sheriff :)

Last edited:

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
ChuckMk23. Considering the skills required I think they might prefer rusty VertRep and shipboard experience over time-in-type. Looking over the list, they have a pretty steep set of wants and desired that are going to be very difficult to match with a Super Puma - especially since that person has to be a US citizen (notice way down the list where they note "SA330 experience Preferred") . The first question is this - Have you flown at all since '98? If not it might be a big reach, but even if you have Robinson piston time it could help.

See what better minds have to say, but I will note that an online application is free. If you get the hint of an interview you could look at making a few deals like less pay until you reach the 150 hour mark.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There's always getting your CFI and instructing in Robbies for a bit to get back in the game....

BTW...I got to help police apprehend a suspect in a footchase today. How many fixed wing guys get to do that?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
There's always getting your CFI and instructing in Robbies for a bit to get back in the game....

BTW...I got to help police apprehend a suspect in a footchase today. How many fixed wing guys get to do that?
My little fixed wing is so slow and draggy I might be able to knock a bad guy out with my prop...if he doesn't run too fast!

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
So - my ask on advice - if you were me, 4,000 hours, ATP, current medical - but haven't flown a helicopter in almost 20 years - how do you break in to this kind of role?

It from the posting the goal it to simply hire someone already current is a Super Puma.

But now have the flexibility in life, financial savings, and most importantly a clean FAA Second Class Medical.

Good news first: if you are single, some find it to be a fantastic job. We had a few guys in their 60's and one (I think) in their 70's - didn't need the money but loved the job. If I was suddenly single, I would go back to that job and stay and stay and stay until I could not pass the medical....especially if I was in the Med (Djibouti not so much...)

Bad news: your timing could not be worse. Oil prices are down. Bristow (Gulf of Mexico) has furloughed. CHC has gone bankrupt. The SuperPuma had a fatal crash a few months ago, is being pulled out of service and there are pilots with 332 type ratings looking for work. In other words, I am betting they have a list of applications of guys who are current and with time in model. (Vertrep flies the 330 Puma, it is the bigger 332 & 225 SuperPumas that are crashing.)

The genesis of civilian vertrep begins with the Navy wanting to save money by using civilian contractors - began with GeoSeis back in the 90's. The Navy does vertrep with two expensive Seahawks and 30+ people, we did it with 2 vintage Pumas and a detachment of 9 bubbas. The Pumas can pick up more, we can move stuff faster (not that it matters), and fewer people means a less crowded ship. The 2 companies that do the work are AAR and Erickson (formerly Evergreen before they went bankrupt and were purchased). There are a few chuckleheads (like anywhere else) but most are really good guys. Quite a variety of pilots: some civilian, some Army, quite a few Navy and Navy Reserve. The guys who have done longline in the past really have skills.

You will normally be on a T-AKE - the Lewis and Clark class. Brand spanking new. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_and_Clark-class_dry_cargo_ship Civilian mariners who really know their stuff and we hung out with all the time - whether having a beer at The Terror Club on base in Singapore or chowing down on Italian pasta at the Sigonella Inn (nice eyeball liberty as the outdoor restaurant is beside the pool where the Euro strippers lay out). We actually called the ships the "Friends" class because one of the new guys when we were aboard the USNS Matthew Perry remarked he couldn't believe they named a ship after the actor - after that, we all wanted to get transferred to USNS Jennifer Anniston.... :)

More than anything, the companies will want to see a type rating in a Puma. How you get that, well, you are going to have to find a company that flies them. This probably means Africa, Afghanistan, or some other less than desirable place. The other thing that might be in your favor is if Columbia ever bids for a contract using BV-107's. Not many helicopters have the medium to heavy lifting capability and are sea compatible. S-61's, Phrogs, Pumas (again, the SuperPuma seems on life support after the last crash.)

And as for that suggestion you are willing to work for less, don't ever go there......

1024px-USNS_Robert_E_Peary_T-AKE-5.jpg

100627-N-6604E-333-USNS%2BRobert%2BE.%2BPeary%2B%2528T-AKE%2B5%2529.jpg

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
There you go ChuckMk23, a true voice of experience from Randy.

Randy, are they flying Puma's on the US oil circuit? The job requires a secret clearance so that is going to block any foreign bubba no matter what his flight time. Also, where could one get Puma time in the US?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor

I just took a look at Erickson's webpage and they are also looking for RW pilots for fire operations. It might be a great way to get in the door, build some more time, and transition to the VertRep job.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
There you go ChuckMk23, a true voice of experience from Randy.

Randy, are they flying Puma's on the US oil circuit? The job requires a secret clearance so that is going to block any foreign bubba no matter what his flight time. Also, where could one get Puma time in the US?

I don't know if anyone in the US who flies Pumas or Super Pumas other than Los Angeles Sheriff's Department - they are not used in the oil fields (domestic) anymore. However, they were the workhorses of the North Sea as well as in South Africa (Starlite Aviation). I would look around www.jsfirm.com as well as www.pprune.org to see who might be flying them.

Doing the dance - above the refueling lines...
13834467_-_main.jpg

The Terror Club - on base at Singapore
IMG_1032.JPG

Sigonella Inn - also called the Mojito - right beside the base at Sigonella.
hotel-sigonella-inn-12.jpg

Ralph

Don't forget firefighting. I have a friend who is doing 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. After fire season he collects unemployment and travels. The same company also does contract work in Afghanistan doing month on month off and pays six figures for Pic's.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
After fire season he collects unemployment and travels.
So what you're saying is that your friend has no integrity and is dishonest.

Unemployment is supposed to provide for basic subsistence while you look for a new job, not to provide spending money while you travel.

Further, the law requires he look for employment while collecting unemployment compensation and certify to the appropriate agency administering the unemployment benefits that he is actively doing so.

You're friend is a liar, a criminal and a leech on society.