• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran Detains 10 U.S. Navy Personnel

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Again - please do not approach the troll enclosure or attempt to feed the trolls. I will change the subject now back to little boats in a small body of water. Thank you to
http://icanhas.cheezburger.com/

h30F5FE95

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

P3 F0

None
Did the whole CRS Ops/OIC gig as my twilight tour. I believe my squadron was what was relieved by -3 at some point after I retired.

I don't want to say we did it right, but we sure did it better than these guys. I'm surprised by the lack of mission tracking (I mean... with a CRS TOC and a MOC (not to mention the CTF watchfloor), how could that even happen?) and complete bufoonery of the boat crews, but not at all surprised at the bufoonery coming from 56.

@Flash... did not see the earlier exchanges about the Hainan incident. To kick the already beaten dead horse... You are 1000% correct on all counts.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I realize technology cannot overcome stupidity. However, sometimes it can limit the consequences of stupidity.

LT Nartker has two (bad) excuses:
  1. He doesn't know how he got off course... other than he knew they were leaving later than expected (and maybe tried to cut nautical corners to shave time)
  2. He didn't want to shoot an Iranian with his M4 and, in his words, "start a war"

Hence, surrender?
I realize that good leadership & common sense is cheaper, better, faster than tech gizmos that turn sailors into machine-tenders instead of critical-thinkers. There is no substitute for sound judgment. That said, maybe we need some better technology for the riverine/ brown water Navy:
  1. Autopilot/autonavigation safety alerts for ships (and small craft) en route at sea - so they can't veer off a set course without a horn honking or something
  2. Less-lethal deterrence/defeat options for CQB/VBSS situations - so you can "deter" some Iranian sailor if you're that unwilling to shoot him with your M4

Hence, steer clear of maritime no-go zones in the first place. If you do encounter trouble, make your adversaries shit their pants. Literally. Or figuratively.

Last edited:

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I mean, he should've done the right thing and written a book about it instead:
51MZCC9FQ8L.jpg

That guy probably should have been awarded NJP instead of medals for landing his collection platform in the country he was collecting on... we probably would have gotten that book either way.

At least Nartker acknowledges that he embarrassed the Navy... He's probably talking to a publicist as we speak.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That guy probably should have been awarded NJP instead of medals for landing his collection platform in the country he was collecting on... we probably would have gotten that book either way.

Yeah.....NO.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah.....NO.

Yes, it has the novelty of never having been tried before...that and politics provided his saving grace.

Had his actions been such a good idea and an acceptable practice, a litany of policy guidance wouldn't have come down forbidding similar actions in future circumstances.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, it has the novelty of never having been tried before...that and politics provided his saving grace.

Had his actions been such a good idea and an acceptable practice, a litany of policy guidance wouldn't have come down forbidding similar actions in future circumstances.

It was acceptable at the time even when it was a known possible scenario, one that was thought out many times by aircrew and leadership, and it was a decision that the vast majority of my VQ brethren and I still vehemently agree with (you can ask @P3 F0 ).

At the end of the day he and his crew walked away unscathed and that was the most important thing at the end of the day, a credit to Shane and the flight crew no matter what you think of him personally.