• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY17 STA-21 Applicants

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
Question for everyone:

WRT items that would be grouped together such as awards, LOA's or LOR's, do you rcmd making each citation an enclosure (X) - (Z) and stamping each citation as encl (X), encl (Y), encl (Z) or just grouping all grouped items as enclosure (X) and stamping each citation as such?

nicken

Does anyone know about this new PRT grading system? I got excellent on my most recent one but my CFL told me PRIMS is currently updating so we had to use the paper form from sta-21 website but we are currently struggling with being more specific or not because the website specifically says it has to be GOOD LOW or above but our PRT calculator only shows excellent. Since I got excellent, I am just gussing it doesn't really matter.

HDND

Dare Mighty Things
Last PRT done, got what I needed. Just need these damn SAT scores back and I can do my external. Getting down to crunch time. One check mark at at time...

Anyone else send their package off already? Any last minute stuff y'all are waiting on?
Just drove from San Diego to LeMoore to finish my external board with VFA-147, great interviews with a great bunch of officers. Just need to get everything stamped certified to be a true copy and mail it next week. Hope yours and everyone else's package is coming a long. Have a good Memorial Day.

HDND

Dare Mighty Things
Does anyone know about this new PRT grading system? I got excellent on my most recent one but my CFL told me PRIMS is currently updating so we had to use the paper form from sta-21 website but we are currently struggling with being more specific or not because the website specifically says it has to be GOOD LOW or above but our PRT calculator only shows excellent. Since I got excellent, I am just gussing it doesn't really matter.
I would think hat since you got an excellent you are good but you can alway reach out to the STA-21 guys and they would be happy to answer you question.

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate

The PRT calculator can be found on the PRIMS site. PRIMS is still up and running but I, like you had to use the form because Cycle I-2016 is not currently able to be entered into the site. They are updating the site for the new BCA standards. According to the NAVADMIN on NPC, it should be good to go by the beginning of Cycle II. I am not tracking any changes to the PFA other than the new BCA standards. There is another site, http://www.navy-prt.com where you can hand-calculate your score based on your numbers this last cycle.

The formula is push up points + sit up points + run points / 3 = ??

Max = 100 pts
Outstanding = 90
Excellent = 75
Good = 60
Sat = 45
Fail = <45

Hope this helps!

zarevich

Well finally it seems that I will be able to apply, could not apply for the past 4 years due to dual citizenship...
Here is what I got so far:
RATE/RANK: MM2
APPLYING FOR: PILOT/CORES
EVALS: EP, EP, EP, EP, NOB(school), MP(new command)
SMART: I think over 70+ credits
COLLEGE: Currently attending ODU for Mechanical Engineering, completed Pre-Calc, Physics, Overall GPA 3.1
HIGH SCHOOL: 87%
LEADERSHIP: Previous command: WCS, lead VBSS engineer, few more, and currently I am LCAC Engineer who is basically translated to EOOW/XO/MPA/CHENG, I am also a SAPR VA, Divisional CC, Training PO.
AWARDS: 1NAM, MOVSM, The President's Volunteer Service Award
TIS: 5.5 years
ACT: 21 English and 25 Math
ASTB: 48 5/6/5
WARFARE QUALS: ESWS
PRT: Waived(whole command due to underway), Excellent, Good
LORs: 2 High school teachers, CMC, Top Mustang.
INT BOARD: 2xLCDR and 1 LT and the board is tomorrow! so nervous...
EXT BOARD: TBD, trying to get at least 1 Blue Angel pilot and 2 other CAPTs.
MISC: USMAP in Hydroelectical maintenance mechanic, Russian/Spanish spoken languages.

My ACT/ASTB/GPA are low I would say, but because I have been so busy at my current command trying to get my quals and getting my name out there I want see where this takes me and retake everything if not selected to have a much better package next year. I got to say, I am just happy to be able to finally apply!
Let me know what you all think and good luck to everyone applying this year!

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
Congrats on having your perseverance pay off. Great to see that you saw your goal through to the end. Best of luck this cycle!

SAR2NFO

SAR2SWO
Well, here's what im working with this year. Slightly better than last year's application.

RATE/RANK:
AWR1(NAC/AW/SW)
APPLYING FOR: SWO(ED)
EVALS:
MP, P, EP, #1 EP,#1 EP (Recent-Oldest)
SMART/JST: lots
COLLEGE: 23 credits, currently enrolled at San Diego Community College
HIGH SCHOOL: 2.605 GPA
ASTB-E: 5/6/5 OAR:49
LEADERSHIP: Enlisted Leader of the year FY 2015,CAT II LPO, OPS LPO, NCEA Program manager, SARPO, Lead Crewman for 2 Detachments, Instructor Aircrewman, ALSS CDQAR/Progam manager
AWARDS: Nam (7), HSL-49 Aircrewman of the year (2012),HSM Wing Aircrewman of the year (2012), JSOQ 2012, FLOC (2), BZ in Mech magazine and Navy aviation magazine
VOLUNTEER: Minuscule amount
TIS: 9.5 years
SAT: 600 (Reading), 550 (Math)
WARFARE QUALS: NAC/AW/SW/MTS
PRT: Excellent, Good, Excellent
Officer Interview/Nomination Board(Internal) LCDRx4, (External) TBD
LORs: Executive officer of HT-8, CDR, College Professor
MISC: 2000 flight hours, fully mission qualified in the MH60R, USMAP: Computer Operator Certification

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
Thanks man! It will actually be a little different this year because of all the updates to PRIMS for the new BCA instructions. How is college treating you and how was NSI? Also how should I prep for the boards? Do you know what areas I should focus on?

To be honest, college is pretty rough so far. I'm studying electrical engineering over the summer. Hard work will pay off I hope! NSI is what you make of it. They only host it once per year, so if you are selected please try to remember that fact. Make sure and study hard and don't spend your weekends out of town partying. Spend your time studying for mid-term and final exams.

As for the boards....be yourself. Speak honestly and with clear intent. KNOW YOUR PROSPECTIVE DESIGNATOR. Too many people don't know the career path and milestones of the designator in which they are applying. Know what you're getting into. Know why you want to be an Officer and clearly state what you plan do accomplish with your commission. Be confident. My 2 cents. It worked for me.

Good luck in your submission!

Zachary Wagoner

FY-17 Nuclear Selectee
RATE/RANK: EMN3(SS) just made EMN2
APPLYING FOR: Nuclear/core
EVALS: P, P, P, MP (first three are as a student)
SMART: bunch
COLLEGE: Middle TN state university - 26 credits. Trident technical college - 4 credits for calc 1.
HIGH SCHOOL: 3.67
LEADERSHIP: Don't get much opportunity as a third class.
AWARDS: 1x LOC, 2x BJOQ with FLOC's
TIS: 4 years
ACT: 28 (53 combined math/english
WARFARE QUALS: Submarines
PRT: good, excellent, excellent
LORs: none
MISC:

I don't think I saw anyone on here applying for nuke but not many people applying period. This is the first year they are letting sea duty nukes apply for nuke. Hopefully that puts the odds in my favor.

HDND

Dare Mighty Things
RATE/RANK: EMN3(SS) just made EMN2
APPLYING FOR: Nuclear/core
EVALS: P, P, P, MP (first three are as a student)
SMART: bunch
COLLEGE: Middle TN state university - 26 credits. Trident technical college - 4 credits for calc 1.
HIGH SCHOOL: 3.67
LEADERSHIP: Don't get much opportunity as a third class.
AWARDS: 1x LOC, 2x BJOQ with FLOC's
TIS: 4 years
ACT: 28 (53 combined math/english
WARFARE QUALS: Submarines
PRT: good, excellent, excellent
LORs: none
MISC:

I don't think I saw anyone on here applying for nuke but not many people applying period. This is the first year they are letting sea duty nukes apply for nuke. Hopefully that puts the odds in my favor.
Zach,
Good luck but the odds are always in a nukes favor. But seriously good luck this year keep applying and you will get selected.

Nathan

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
Agree. If you're a nuke, odds are you have a much better shot of getting pick up than the rest of us.

As far as leadership goes at the junior level, there's some opportunities out there. I hope that your CoC would be supportive of these.

A few options I can think of off the top of my head include:
- Putting together, leading a department/command volunteer event.
- Mentoring by way of coaching sports, scouts, etc.
- CSADD (If your command doesn't have one, start one up--all the better)
- Sitting on warfare boards (if able)
- Command Assessment Team
- Guiding junior sailors through their own quals

Now that you're an E5, you should start concerning yourself with and gearing your evals toward the accomplishments of those under you by way of your leadership. Start training your replacement as they say.

Hope this helps, and good luck this year.

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
Since this forum isn't very active, I figured maybe I could jumpstart the conversation. Fun question for the FY17 Applicants:

What three NROTC schools did you list on your initial (online) application and what majors will you be looking to do if you are selected?

For me, I went with--
1) Oregon State: Climate Science. I'm already attending online classes here for Natural Resource Management. However, the Climate Science degree isn't offered online. I would switch my major if accepted.
2) ODU: Geology/Oceanography. Read through the curriculum and thought it sounded very interesting. Liked Virginia when I was stationed there. Wouldn't mind returning.
3)Ohio State: Atmospheric Science. Fallback school that's close to home. My dad would be thrilled.

How about you guys?

exNavyOffRec

Agree. If you're a nuke, odds are you have a much better shot of getting pick up than the rest of us.

As far as leadership goes at the junior level, there's some opportunities out there. I hope that your CoC would be supportive of these.

A few options I can think of off the top of my head include:
- Putting together, leading a department/command volunteer event.
- Mentoring by way of coaching sports, scouts, etc.
- CSADD (If your command doesn't have one, start one up--all the better)
- Sitting on warfare boards (if able)
- Command Assessment Team
- Guiding junior sailors through their own quals

Now that you're an E5, you should start concerning yourself with and gearing your evals toward the accomplishments of those under you by way of your leadership. Start training your replacement as they say.

Hope this helps, and good luck this year.

He is a nuke, if he was like me he is lucky to get 5 hours sleep a night on the surface until you get to about E-6, on the CVN we were 5 on watch 10 off watch with full work days, and god help you if you are trying to do anything extra until you have qualified all of your watches.