• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nuclear options for someone like me

LieutLanz

Hey all,

I am just trying to see what there might be in the Navy for someone in my situation, and this board was recommended to me as a great source of information, so I wanted to reach out. Thanks in advance for any information or advice that you might have.

So, here's my story. I am 26. Up until the end of last December, I was working on a doctorate in chemical engineering, but I was not much of a researcher, and I decided to leave the program with a master's instead. Since then, I have been looking for jobs, but with the price of oil as low as it is, the market for chemical engineers is tough, and I think that I have a special disadvantage because of my age (why should a company hire a 26 year old with a master's when they can hire a cheaper 22 year old with a bachelor's). Because of this, I am starting to explore potential alternate careers, and I am considering the military. I would like to put my engineering education to use if possible. I have been reading about becoming a nuclear officer on a carrier or a submarine, but I am not sure if that is even a possibility for me, since I am not in school anymore and cannot go through NUPOC (if I understand the process correctly).

Is there a way for me to become a nuclear officer at this point, or is it too late? Are there any other programs that might be good for someone like me? If it helps, my bachelor's GPA was 3.75 (from Rutgers), and my master's GPA was 3.32 (from Michigan).