• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Hobblehob

Hey guys and gals! I had a question about OCS Facebook policy. I have searched this forum and have yet to see something on this topic. My brother went through marine OCS about 6 years ago and said that he had to delete his Facebook as his instructors would punish you for pretty trivial things on your page (like pics with facial hair). Just wanted to know if I should delete my account prior to OCS. There is nothing bad on my page just don't want to be rpt'd for something silly. Thanks!

Igloojam

pilot
Hey guys and gals! I had a question about OCS Facebook policy. I have searched this forum and have yet to see something on this topic. My brother went through marine OCS about 6 years ago and said that he had to delete his Facebook as his instructors would punish you for pretty trivial things on your page (like pics with facial hair). Just wanted to know if I should delete my account prior to OCS. There is nothing bad on my page just don't want to be rpt'd for something silly. Thanks!

1) your bro went to Marine OCS.. home of the Marines' best DIs and probably most savage 2) That was 6 years ago...

So to answer your question... No... you don't need to delete facebook... but quite honestly you may consider "cleaning it up"...

Any photos of you being a prior dumbass... drunk photos, drugs, black out... we get it you party... no need to show off to the world. Also any extreme political or religious status/photo that may reduce or negatively impact your ability to lead sailors/marines. This one is touchy as you are entitled to your own beliefs. However, ask yourself how your peers/leaders/subordinates are going to view you if there is a photo of you at a neo-nazi gathering when you were 15. Extreme example but you get the idea.

If you are getting RPTed for something on your facebook it's probably for your own good... Nothing was more funny when we found douchey pics of LT's. You're going to have Sailors who are going to find you on facebook. I guarantee it... Don't give them a reason to ridicule you. You getting RPTed for something on your facebook may seem "silly" or "trivial", but in essence the DIs may have saved you're ass from becoming the star of the next company meme. No one likes a douche so don't be one.

Hobblehob

1) your bro went to Marine OCS.. home of the Marines' best DIs and probably most savage 2) That was 6 years ago...

So to answer your question... No... you don't need to delete facebook... but quite honestly you may consider "cleaning it up"...

Any photos of you being a prior dumbass... drunk photos, drugs, black out... we get it you party... no need to show off to the world. Also any extreme political or religious status/photo that may reduce or negatively impact your ability to lead sailors/marines. This one is touchy as you are entitled to your own beliefs. However, ask yourself how your peers/leaders/subordinates are going to view you if there is a photo of you at a neo-nazi gathering when you were 15. Extreme example but you get the idea.

If you are getting RPTed for something on your facebook it's probably for your own good... Nothing was more funny when we found douchey pics of LT's. You're going to have Sailors who are going to find you on facebook. I guarantee it... Don't give them a reason to ridicule you. You getting RPTed for something on your facebook may seem "silly" or "trivial", but in essence the DIs may have saved you're ass from becoming the star of the next company meme. No one likes a douche so don't be one.
Alright thanks for the input. I work in public safety so I keep my Facebook pretty vanilla so I think I'll be good. I'll take a quick look to make sure though. Thanks again!

Stephen Hall

hallsc7
People care. Although it is not in the regs, it is a tradition and the Navy is very big in upholding traditions. You technically could wear them, but you also could set yourself a part in a very negative fashion as an Ensign.
I'm a LT and it's about time to buy some new shoes. I REALLY like the darker brown, glossy shoes I see some folks wearing. I am a Supply Officer and the unwritten rule is that you can wear the brown shoes IF you have a NASO pin (Naval Aviation Supply Officer). I want to wear brown shoes and I don't have a NASO, thoughts?

CWO_change

I'm a LT and it's about time to buy some new shoes. I REALLY like the darker brown, glossy shoes I see some folks wearing. I am a Supply Officer and the unwritten rule is that you can wear the brown shoes IF you have a NASO pin (Naval Aviation Supply Officer). I want to wear brown shoes and I don't have a NASO, thoughts?

LT, aren't brown shoes technically regulation wear for everyone? If so, I don't understand why some people get worked up if you're wearing brown shoes despite having no formal link to aviation. I could see people getting worked up about others being out of regulation, but this was always a head scratcher to me.

Armitage

Hey guys, so I'm studying up on Appendix B and I'm memorizing the rank structure and emblems. Beside the picture of each rank emblem they have a short description. Are we expected to memorize the wording of the description or is knowing what each looks like enough?

croakerfish

pilot
Hey guys, so I'm studying up on Appendix B and I'm memorizing the rank structure and emblems. Beside the picture of each rank emblem they have a short description. Are we expected to memorize the wording of the description or is knowing what each looks like enough?

Yes, you may be asked this on your last inspection.

Igloojam

pilot

bud at marine boot camp we had to memorize the structure verbatim... so it would be like this...

"Sir, the Enlisted rank structure.... E1... Private...No insignia... E2... private first class... One chevron... E3... Lance corporal... One chevron with crossed rifles in the center.... (etc etc etc etc)... E7... Gunnery sergeant... 3 chevrons on top, 2 rockers on bottom, crossed rifles in the center..." and so on.

The enlisted and Officer ranks were two seperate knowledges we had to regurgitate.

If I had to guess, we will most likely have to memorize the wording of the description, just like boot camp. Anyone confirm?

Sonog

pilot
bud at marine boot camp we had to memorize the structure verbatim... so it would be like this...

"Sir, the Enlisted rank structure.... E1... Private...No insignia... E2... private first class... One chevron... E3... Lance corporal... One chevron with crossed rifles in the center.... (etc etc etc etc)... E7... Gunnery sergeant... 3 chevrons on top, 2 rockers on bottom, crossed rifles in the center..." and so on.

The enlisted and Officer ranks were two seperate knowledges we had to regurgitate.

If I had to guess, we will most likely have to memorize the wording of the description, just like boot camp. Anyone confirm?

4 years ago it was every single word in that gouge packet they give you. There are different sections you need to focus on for each inspection, so its not all at once. Studying prior to going to OCS isn't necessary, as you spend so much time in between classes, drill, chow etc just standing there studying your gouge packs. Its not rocket science, easiest studying you'll do in the Navy. But if you don't have shit to do before you head to OCS, its some minor mitigation to future stress.

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot

Talking to a recent grad, yes, though the description can vary from class to class, so have them memorized in advance but don't nuke the verbiage itself since it might change slightly; you will need to have the edition for your class memorized verbatim. I say this because I've seen the description of the shoulder boards vary by year and publication (official PDFs for different classes on the OCS website). Same with Chain of Command.

Staythurst

In my experience, knowing what each looks like is enough, as long as you know the general description syntax. I can assure you that no one is going to know the difference between "a five pointed gold star" and "one gold five pointed star," but you would be wise to use the "below" and "outboard" descriptions.

My advice on collars, shoulders, and sleeves is to try to memorize the pattern visually and then practice that syntax.

CWO_change

In my experience, knowing what each looks like is enough, as long as you know the general description syntax. I can assure you that no one is going to know the difference between "a five pointed gold star" and "one gold five pointed star," but you would be wise to use the "below" and "outboard" descriptions.

My advice on collars, shoulders, and sleeves is to try to memorize the pattern visually and then practice that syntax.

Until you run into an LT or CPO who does know the difference. I know people get hit for that in my class, which put them under the passing score in some cases. The only reason why they were able to get the points back is because the OCR/Appendix B interchanged the terminology in multiple sections. Generally, I agree with you, though. Most of the class team inspectors aren't likely to catch or care about such differences.

Splonk

The standards didn't change. What did change is that they went back to the old system with subcategories of high, medium, and low. You need to achieve at least probationary in all categories for the IST. The updated charts are here: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/21st_Century_Sailor/physical/Documents/Guide 5- Physical Readiness Test 2016.pdf

I was wrong. Someone from med hold informed me on this, and I looked at the PFA logs. You need to aim for a satisfactory medium now (per the PDF I posted).