• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

LuckyMcFly

I've already decided on the three careers that I want to apply for after MEPS --pilot, NFO, and SWO (in that order). From my scores, GPA, and major, what do my chances look like? Are they good? I imagine that, since my FOFAR score was the 7 and the other two were 6, I will have a higher chance of getting NFO over a pilot career. Is that correct? I'd be happy with either, but I do want pilot or NFO over SWO.

To get an idea of your competitiveness, you should look at this thread. That being said there is a lot more to a candidate than their scores, degrees, and numbers. My understanding is that they will look at the whole person and the whole package. Work on writing a well worded Personal Statement that accurately encapsulates why the Board should select you to be a Naval Officer.

Spectre

To get an idea of your competitiveness, you should look at this thread. That being said there is a lot more to a candidate than their scores, degrees, and numbers. My understanding is that they will look at the whole person and the whole package. Work on writing a well worded Personal Statement that accurately encapsulates why the Board should select you to be a Naval Officer.

This was very helpful. Thank you.

exNavyOffRec

"Whole person" is what is often talked about but when it comes down to it they take a hard look at specific things for each designator, for instance aviation looks hard at ASTB, Supply wants business oriented degree and math background, IW wants tech degree and high GPA's. There have been many on this site that didn't have the best GPA or the best ASTB but had all the "other things" that made them a well rounded candidate and they weren't picked up.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Took it this morning (20160503) - OAR: 61 / AQR: 8 / PFAR: 8 / FOFAR: 8

Should I retake this in an attempt for a higher OAR, or just leave it where it is?

Staythurst

Leave that where it is. That score is better than most I went to OCS with. If you've got a solid application elsewhere you'll be fine.

koliver

Hey everyone, I am retaking the ASTB on Thursday. I just want to ask because I have heard different opinions. Is it more important to answer the questions correctly and run out of time or is it more important to get more questions answered at risk of making educated guesses? Please let me know! Thanks.

Starsfan93

pilot
Hey everyone, I am retaking the ASTB on Thursday. I just want to ask because I have heard different opinions. Is it more important to answer the questions correctly and run out of time or is it more important to get more questions answered at risk of making educated guesses? Please let me know! Thanks.

Worry about answering the questions correctly. I ran out of time on one section and I ended up fine.

Hi everyone. I just took the OAR for the first time and got a 47. I was hoping for at least a 55 so I will be taking it again. Thank you to everyone who has posted study materials they were super helpful! Overall the Math and reading were fairly easy for me it was the mechanical section that really threw me off which is probably what affected my score. I used all of the study guides on here and the Barons book to study for that section and it was just not enough. My brother just got done taking physics 101 so I had him send me his lecture slides so hopefully that will help some. Does anyone have any other recommendations to help study for the mechanical section?

Hello, My first ASTB attempt I got 46-3/4/4 and Im retesting by late May, Im trying to read all the threads possible to catch any good insight but are more than 200, any help in the Mechanical Topic will be greatly appreciated. Also any tip on how to to "trick" the throttle and joystick to mach the crosshairs?

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Ouch.

I used Barron's study guide to study for the OAR. I've had a peek at the Accepted study guide, and one of my siblings has an Accepted ASVAB study guide - all three have sufficient gouge for the MCT. If you've never had a physics class in high school or college, that can be challenging.

My Gouge for PBM: For the PBM, I recommend you buy Micrsoft FSX (or any of its variants), and a joystick and throttle. Program the joystick and throttle buttons to cover all of the major functions, and to contain the "ATC interaction buttons." This will familiarize you with the HOTAS concept that the PBM hopes to convey, plus it will force you to press buttons in response to what you hear, also a PBM concept. Practice maintaining a precise airspeed, precise altitude, and precise heading, for all phases of flight. That will familiarize you with monitoring and adjusting several things at once, as well as adjusting the throttle and joystick simultaneously. Through all phases of flight, follow checklists! This will at least help your brain prepare for the emergency procedures portion.

If you're pinched for cash, use the Google Earth flight simulator instead, with a mouse if need be. Again, practice holding precise heading, altitude, and airspeed. YouTube "random ATC chatter," and tell yourself "whenever I hear (specific thing of choice), I will [respond in this way with the aircraft]." The important thing there is that you are responding in a particular way to what you hear.

The OAR is a souped-up ASVAB (not a fan of standardized testing myself), but the ASTB is full of analogies to real-world situations in aviation. In all honesty, the above isn't what I did. But in hindsight, this would be how I would've prepared for it.