• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviator Number?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
But, but, if I'm not 29330, who am I?

You're #29330 in the NHA big book of unrestricted naval aviators. They started over again at 1 for helicopter pilots. Seriously. You can look yourself up. They have the physical book at NHA.

I don't know if they have a CD, microfiche, USB stick (or DAT tape, before you ask).

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You're #29330 in the NHA big book of unrestricted naval aviators. They started over again at 1 for helicopter pilots. Seriously. You can look yourself up. They have the physical book at NHA.

I don't know if they have a CD, microfiche, USB stick (or DAT tape, before you ask).
What about punch cards? Or a hand written log?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The little cards I got at winging gave me my NFO and AIC numbers. I think I still have them in a box somewhere. Of course, they could have told me I was #10002 or #133582 or #THX1138 and how the fuck would I know?

Supposedly being a 'card-carrying' AIC is a legal blessing required to close-control aircraft, similar to an FAA ATC cert, but I have no idea if anyone actually tracks it. Like, if there's a Big Book of AICs somewhere that a GS-5 inscribes with a quill. Since several entities qualify AICs, I doubt it.

Renegade One

None
Here's a terrific resource on the subject: "History of the Naval Aviator and Designations and Numbers".

It's the best single-source write up I've seen yet on the development and changes to Naval Aviator and NFO wings, and the "History of Naval Aviator Numbers".

I was always curious why my own number (G-6163) started with the letter G. Turns out:
The Bureau of Navigation (redesignated Bureau of Naval Personnel in 1942) continued to issue naval aviator numbers and was the sole source until 31 July 1942. In a SECNAV letter dated 31 July 1942, the old method of designating naval aviators through the assignment of numbers was discontinued. The following system was put in place:

• Commandant, Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Fla., is directed to commence a series of numbers for the foregoing designations as Naval Aviator (HTA) Number P1, P2, P3, etc.

• Commandant, Naval Air Station, Jacksonville, Fla., is directed to commence a similar series as Naval Aviator (HTA) Number J1, J2, J3, etc.

• Commandant, Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, Tex., is directed to commence a similar series as Naval Aviator (HTA) Number C1, C2, C3, etc.

• Commanding Officer, Naval Air Station, Miami, Fla., is directed to commence a similar series, as Naval Aviator (HTA) Number M1, M2, M3, etc.

• Commanding Officer, Naval Air Station, Norfolk, Va., is directed to commence a similar series, as Naval Aviator (HTA) Number N1, N2, N3, etc.

• Commanding Officer, Naval Air Station, Alameda, Calif., is directed to commence a similar series as Naval Aviator (HTA) Number A1, A2, A3, etc.

• Commanding Officer, Naval Air Station, Lakehurst, N.J., is directed to commence a similar series as Naval Aviator Number L1, L2, L3, etc.

• Commanding Officer, Naval Air Station, Moffett Field, Calif., is directed to commence a similar series as Naval Aviator (LTA) Number S1, S2, S3, etc.

This letter also stated: “The original letter of designation will be delivered directly to the individual without prior reference to the Navy Department for approval.” Copies of the letter of designation were to be forwarded to the Bureau of Personnel; Bureau of Aeronautics; Commandant, U.S. Marine Corps; and Bureau of Medicine and Surgery (in the case of flight surgeons). Because of the decentralization of this numbering system, a complete listing of naval aviators and their designation numbers has not been found for the WWII period even though the Bureau of Personnel was to receive a copy of all the letters of designation.

SO…while NAS Glynco is not stated in that early policy, it would seem apparent that the same "scheme" continued when NAS Glynco became a "winging source" for NFOs.

The attachment goes on to state:
The Chief of Naval Air Training quit issuing Naval Aviator Numbers sometime in the 1970s. Documentation has not been located that gives the date or provides reasons why the assignment of Naval Aviator numbers was discontinued. To date, no complete listing of all Naval Aviator numbers, including the letter-number designations, has been found. Moreover, it is highly unlikely a complete list exists because of the decentralization of the system during WWII. Bits and pieces of the listing for Naval Aviator numbers is held by the Naval Aviation History Office. However, the WWII and post-war period list is not organized in any alphabetical or chronological order, consequently, it is extremely difficult to find any individual’s number.

Renegade One

None
The lesson here is go helicopters.
Unless you want to be a CAG.

WHAT?!? Too soon? :p

60207703.jpg