• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mental health waiver for USUHS/HPSP/FAP?

mushroom21

I am a sophomore in high school and I am very interested in the military. I would like to become a physician preferably through USUHS or the HPSP program. A few days ago out of shear curiosity, I looked up medical disqualifications for the military. I’m extremely scared now that I won’t be able to join because of a few past mental health problems. My father molested me when I was 12 and I became depressed and developed a slight eating disorder. I know at one point I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder. I was hospitalized 3 times for medicine adjustments and for supposed suicidal ideation (I told the doc that I was wondering what life would be like with out me. Kind of a normal query). I have been on only Zoloft since and in therapy but I will try to get off of them by my sixteenth birthday and today I arranged with my therapist to widen the time between appointments. I am completely psychiatrically stable and have been since I was 14 and 1/2. This was only for a three year period of my 12, 13, and 14 years of age. I feel it was an isolated incident and it ended concurrently with my father’s incarceration. I also did have a diagnosis of PTSD but never had flashbacks. That diagnosis has been dropped. I feel it would have been more disturbing for me not to react in this way to sexual abuse. Is there any compassion for victims/survivors? I’ve wanted this my whole life. My father took so much of my childhood and it makes me distressed to think he could grab hold of my future too. I understand I have some years down the road before I join, but I am worried sick. Is a waiver possible at this point? I understand also that the needs of the military come first. My experiences are what are driving me to become a physician. I'd like to become a flight surgeon. I will have been off of all medication and therapy for 4+ years by the time I can apply to medical school. Thank you

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
I'll give my opinion and really that's all it is, so take it for what it's worth...and I didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

First off, there is literally a waiver for everything, so don't sweat that.

Second, I was pursuing USUHS/HPSP before I decided to go the airline route and the number one thing that you need to do is keep those grades up and work towards obtaining your goal which is getting accepted to (once accepted, your goal is to finish) medical school. You may have been hearing about a physician shortage. That's true (just like the pilot shortage ironically), but there are no shortage of people applying to get into medical school. As a sophomore in highschool, you have plenty of time to get into a good undergraduate school where you can focus on a science based degree with pre-med requirements. Doing well in that will be your key to getting accepted into USUHS or a good medical school and being accepted to the HPSP program.

As far as your personal situation, I can't begin to comprehend what you have to deal with. I would say do whatever you need to do to get better before anything else. When applying to medical school, if you can show a board that you've fought and overcame something, especially a seemingly insurmountable challenge, you may even have a leg up on the guy with similar stats/grades. You seem like you're using your experience, no matter how negative, and making something good out of it and that will only result in you succeeding.

One more thing...if you haven't already signed up at the Student Doctor Network, do so. It's a wealth of knowledge and information that helped me prepare for the MCAT, applications, etc. Good luck!

lk39

I really respect ARAMP1’s advice. And you’re young with plenty of time to figure it all out.

About the only thing I’d add is that before you sign commissioning papers for either program make sure you read everything (seriously!!), think about it carefully, and find some active duty docs & a good career counselor who will really take the time to talk with you.

Be proud of what you’ve accomplished and seek out people/places who respect you for it.

My two cents: I’d take a deep breath, relax, take time to feel good about yourself, and give as much thought to whether YOU will want USUHS as to whether they will want you (more over at Student Doctor Network): http://www.businessinsider.com/r-ex...ew-of-doctors-macabre-ways-for-decades-2015-7

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Lots of sound advice. Don't get too far ahead of yourself. It's great to have a long-term plan, but applying to med school is 5 years down the line for you, and much can happen between now and then. Keep an eye on the horizon, but don't lose sight of other opportunities that may present themselves as you go through college.

I recommend you don't pursue ROTC or a service academy for college. Those programs make line officers, and it might not be possible to get out of your active duty commitment at graduation to if you still want to pursue medical school. I've known a few folks who have done it, but nobody can predict the odds at the time you'll be faced with that career branch point.

HPSP officer recruiters are Medical Service Corps officers, in my experience. They don't have all the details about medical programs, and the programs change from time to time. Getting tied in with a senior, active duty medical corps officer will be invaluable. He or she can guide you through the wickets you will need to traverse to be successful as a Navy physician.

As mentioned, waivers are possible for just about anything, but your first responsibility is to ensure you stay well. Don't shortchange your long-term health for anything.

R/