• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

ChopChick

A couple of updates, leading to more questions:

The NKO course of questionable point value was finally credited (7-8 months after I submitted the cert) at 3 points, not the 12 that was on the points list at the time I took the course. Is there any process for appeal of point credit?

I did complete a couple of NRTC courses (Equal Opportunity and Navy Instructional Theory) in December for the additional 9 points I needed. My record now shows 35 points for courses plus 15 membership points for a total of 50, but I have not been credited with a good year, even though the year has been closed out. Any idea why? Is there someone I should talk to about this?

Has anyone received points credit for the newly-reinstated NRTC courses? I have to do some courses in hurry and want to make sure I'm getting points that count.

Back in July I completed an NKO course that was listed on the (then-current) points list as worth 12 points. My completion certificate showed it was only 15 instructional hours (even though in reality is was MUCH longer than that. This was a true 12-point course), so I was concerned I might only be awarded 3 points. Figured I'd wait until I got the point credit to see if I needed more courses. Four months later, I still don't have credit (I called NPC and they did receive my cert). The new points list has this course at only 3 points, so I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get my 12.

Now I need to earn 9 more points in a hurry (my anniversary is in three weeks) just-in-case. In my experience NRTC courses (even de-valued at one point per four instructional hours instead of three) are the most expeditious way to do so, but I want to verify they will really count!

Duncan Idaho

I like cheese.
None

The NKO course of questionable point value was finally credited (7-8 months after I submitted the cert) at 3 points, not the 12 that was on the points list at the time I took the course. Is there any process for appeal of point credit?

I did complete a couple of NRTC courses (Equal Opportunity and Navy Instructional Theory) in December for the additional 9 points I needed. My record now shows 35 points for courses plus 15 membership points for a total of 50, but I have not been credited with a good year, even though the year has been closed out. Any idea why? Is there someone I should talk to about this?

I have nothing to suggest but I'm curious what you learn. I'm still trying to get classes from LAST anniversary year credited and THIS anniversary year ends this month.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Just talked to PERS-912 today - they are running 6 months behind on correspondence courses. That said, they had received and updated some of my courses - and noted that others had been received but not processed. As a reminder, maximum "inactive" points per year is 130, minimum is 50 points for a good year.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

Did you just send the certificate to the course? If it is any help, I send the certificate, a copy of the spreadsheet with the relevant courses, course number and retirement points highlighted as well as a cover letter with the same info on it. This makes it easy for the people at PERS-912. Have never had any problems with the points not matching what was stated - so far.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I just finished chaplains history 2. Holy $h!t Ba!!s. Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong does not begin to describe these courses. I've got 2 more in que...I don't know if I can muster the courage to do them.

In other news, check out NRTC courses Tools and Public Affairs...better ROI regarding time.

Back doing The Chaplain's Course - Chapter 2 (of 5). The horror. The horror. Use only as a last resort. As Sam said, Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong.

N4Life

...not the 12 that was on the points list at the time I took the course. Is there any process for appeal of point credit?

I've resubmitted a courses to Pers-912, with a copy of the course list at the time of completion and explanation of why I felt it should be corrected. It worked for that course, although it took just under a year.

ChopChick

Did you just send the certificate to the course? If it is any help, I send the certificate, a copy of the spreadsheet with the relevant courses, course number and retirement points highlighted as well as a cover letter with the same info on it. This makes it easy for the people at PERS-912. Have never had any problems with the points not matching what was stated - so far.

I send the certificates and a cover letter with the relevant courses, course number and retirement points listed.

I've resubmitted a courses to Pers-912, with a copy of the course list at the time of completion and explanation of why I felt it should be corrected. It worked for that course, although it took just under a year.

I'm glad to hear this worked for you. Thanks, I will try it.

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
Note that if one of the JKO courses give you trouble, just email their help desk. A couple of times I completed a section but it wouldn't "complete" on the section tab - an email to them (24/7) and it is usually taken care of in short order.

Also a lot of the JKO courses just require time to click through them. If you are in that particular warfare area often you know the information already, you just have to gut through it.

Good luck and honestly, 35 pts shouldn't be too hard to get, add your 15 pts for good standing and bam, you are at a good year.

As with any $hit sandwich, I prefer small bites over time to finish.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Note that if one of the JKO courses give you trouble, just email their help desk. A couple of times I completed a section but it wouldn't "complete" on the section tab - an email to them (24/7) and it is usually taken care of in short order.

Also a lot of the JKO courses just require time to click through them. If you are in that particular warfare area often you know the information already, you just have to gut through it.

Good luck and honestly, 35 pts shouldn't be too hard to get, add your 15 pts for good standing and bam, you are at a good year.

As with any $hit sandwich, I prefer small bites over time to finish.

I would suggest pushing through and maxing the 130 inactive points available in the reserves vice just doing the minimum 50 - it will make a huge difference in your retirement check with minimal pain. If you spend roughly 20 years in the reserves (SelRes or IRR), that is a ballpark difference of 1500 points. Over time, it will add up.

You may want to call PERS-912 and update your point capture every year once your anniversary year closes - they are very good about getting that to you. Just got confirmation in the mail that I was credited with all 130 points last year; for this year 93 points complete and 37 to go for another max year.

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
For a primarily reserve career, it certainly will make a difference and I try to do more than 50, but got into the "just get 50" a couple years ago when they seemed to be trying to strangle off all the points for IRR. In fact I waited to complete some courses to get them onto the proper year for good year purposes after my anniversary.

I have a considerable amount of AD time so the added points won't have as big an impact, but yes if you have time / means / sanity to click boxes, go for it.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
For a primarily reserve career, it certainly will make a difference and I try to do more than 50, but got into the "just get 50" a couple years ago when they seemed to be trying to strangle off all the points for IRR. In fact I waited to complete some courses to get them onto the proper year for good year purposes after my anniversary.

I have a considerable amount of AD time so the added points won't have as big an impact, but yes if you have time / means / sanity to click boxes, go for it.

As you stated, the most important part is getting the 50 points to count as a good year. If you are SelRes, you will have a much easier time getting 130 inactive points (i.e., drills and AFTP's). Once you go IRR, it is certainly more difficult to get 130 points but it can be done - speaking of which I recently finished all 5 of the chaplain courses. I would suggest saving those as a last resort although all 5 of them together is worth 36 points - when combined with your 15 anniversary points is enough for good year.

For those starting their retirement planning, an O-4 retirement is roughly $6.19 per point (annual retirement), an O-5 is $7.40 per point and an O-6 is $9.25 per point.

Don't forget to get survivor's benefits (you will have that option once you have 20 qualifying years. Your wife and/or children will receive 55% of what your pension would be.)

As you stated, the most important part is getting the 50 points to count as a good year. If you are SelRes, you will have a much easier time getting 130 inactive points (i.e., drills and AFTP's). Once you go IRR, it is certainly more difficult to get 130 points but it can be done - speaking of which I recently finished all 5 of the chaplain courses. I would suggest saving those as a last resort although all 5 of them together is worth 36 points - when combined with your 15 anniversary points is enough for good year.

For those starting their retirement planning, an O-4 retirement is roughly $6.19 per point (annual retirement), an O-5 is $7.40 per point and an O-6 is $9.25 per point.

Don't forget to get survivor's benefits (you will have that option once you have 20 qualifying years. Your wife and/or children will receive 55% of what your pension would be.)

Those numbers are per year though, right? I like your numbers better, since my $0.50/pt/month makes me less likely to go through the effort of submitting stuff...even though I know it all adds up.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Those numbers are per year though, right? I like your numbers better, since my $0.50/pt/month makes me less likely to go through the effort of submitting stuff...even though I know it all adds up.

Correct. If you expound upon this for a decade or two, it adds up. Slow and steady wins the race says the tortoise.

KevinIRR

Correct. Here are the minimum and maximum numbers to provide motivation to power through for 130.

O-4 retirement per year: 50 pts will earn $309.50 --- 130 pts will earn $ 804.70
O-5 retirement per year: 50 pts will earn $370.00 --- 130 pts will earn $ 962.00
O-6 retirement per year: 50 pts will earn $462.50 --- 130 pts will earn $1202.50

Now expound upon this for a decade or two. Slow and steady wins the race says the tortoise.

The correct way to look at this is net present value of each point. I'll show that each retirement point for mid-30s E-6 is worth about $75. Not bad if you can crank them out quickly.

Each point you earn, by completing a course, entitles you to a life annuity beginning from when you turn age 60 until the day you die. I'll show a simple example below for a 38 year old E-6 in the IRR. Let's ignore the survivor benefit, because that complicates things (it reduces the payout to the retiree in exchange for a potentially longer payout to the spouse).

Payment is adjusted for inflation, so no discounting of future payments is necessary (If I promised you $100 every year for the next 20 years, the fair value now would be less than $2,000, but if we adjusted the $100 payment for inflation, the fair value now may be about $2,000).

Life expectancy now of healthy non-smoking 38yo = 84yrs; this means we assume 24 years of payment for point earned today.

Base monthly pay for E-6 (2015 table) = $3,724
Monthly retirement pay for one point ($3,724 / 360 x 0.025) = $0.26
Net value of point earned today (24 yrs x 12 months x $0.26) = About $75