• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran Detains 10 U.S. Navy Personnel

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Holy crap these guys all have cool gear. I'd be in gear heaven with all these toys.
Of course all these guys need a shave - especially cheesy mustaches. None of them are getting laid anytime soon.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Recognize the LT don't you? I think he prefers this press.

Redux

I guess it's non PC for sailors to know or give a Hawaiian good luck sign anymore in today's navy. :( Tears OTOH are authorized.
Pubelo+Crew+giving+the+finger+to+Norks.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Makes you wonder if the current warming of relations with Iran has anything to do with Saudi's difficulties.

Preparing for the Collapse of the Saudi Kingdom
It can’t last. The U.S. better get ready.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/02/saudi-arabia-collapse/463212/

Hmm, an interesting read. And there's apparently been some interesting regime changes happening within their military. That said, while we may be warming up to Iran, we're also allowing the Saudis to buy our stuff...and they've been eager.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of course all these guys need a shave - especially cheesy mustaches. None of them are getting laid anytime soon.
They're on cruise . . . where you're probably not getting laid anyway, and cheesy mustaches are highly encouraged.

Renegade One

None
The Arnheiter Affair investigation didn't take this long…we ever going to get a report from the Navy? Maybe I missed something.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks like CTF-56 is getting relieved over this whole affair.

Quote from the article, though . . .
Second, the chain of command was not well defined on the two boats. While a young lieutenant was the highest-ranking individual on either of the two 50-foot boats, when the order was given to evade the Iranian forces, the helmsman refused the order.
WTFO?? First, how the F is there confusion about who the SOPA is when there are two boats, and maybe 1-2 commissioned officers in the formation? Lineal numbers are not rocket science. And how is the helmsman "refusing an order" now "confusion," and not a violation of UCMJ Article 90?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
This article is extraordinary! It just shows the impact on bad leadership and how corrosive it is. How could there not be a clear chain of command on and U.S. Navy seagoing vessel? Where were the grown-ups? Heck, where were the commissioned officers who are in command? And if said enlisted helmsman did refuse an order I hope they throw his ass in Leavenworth for many many years . Enlisted people refusing orders is a toxic virus that cannot even happen once.

that helmsman should have been relieved, physically restrained.

BigRed389

None
Looks like CTF-56 is getting relieved over this whole affair.

Quote from the article, though . . .

WTFO?? First, how the F is there confusion about who the SOPA is when there are two boats, and maybe 1-2 commissioned officers in the formation? Lineal numbers are not rocket science. And how is the helmsman "refusing an order" now "confusion," and not a violation of UCMJ Article 90?

Yeah, that seriously pissed me off.

There's zero confusion if they were IAW SOP:
One Patrol Officer (only commissioned O) is in charge of the whole patrol.
Each boat has its own boat captain (E-6/7), but the boats fall under the patrol's chain of command.
Coxswains work for their boat captains.

The ONLY good reason I can think of for the coxswain to refuse an order to "evade" is if the PO ordered him to leave the boat and crew with the propulsion casualty behind. And that opens up an even worse problem that I'd hope would never happen.

The general sloppiness in all respects with this unit really gets me bent out of shape. You don't give cool toys to untrained personnel expecting good results.

Redux

Lets be real, he laughs his ass off at the leadership at the top. Baghdad Kirby, the Bastard, Kerry, Carter you pick em, so many choices.

unclevolodya6.jpg