• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First move and many more

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
The conventional wisdom used to be that 3 Navy moves was equivalent to a house fire. Maybe things are better now, but when I was in you could pretty much bank on stuff getting trashed or lost/stolen by the movers on any given PCS move. The only variable was how bad it was going to be. If you really value something, move it yourself.

For the ex-mechs in the string, you should be able to claim up to 2000 lbs. of your tools as "professional gear", which won't get counted against your weight limit. If you have an FAA A&P certificate, your tools are necessary for doing your job and should qualify. Flight gear and uniform items also count as "professional gear" if you're close to the weight limit and need to shave off a few pounds.

Villanelle is right as usual...Japanese packers rock. I had a bunch of Murex shells I picked up on the beach in Thailand, and they arrived back in the states without a broken spine. Big contrast to the felons we got on our first CONUS move.

R/

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I used it on my last move last year. Not sure when it was implemented. However, I still had to log on with my complex password with my SS# and birthday to 'link' the certificates with my move.mil account.

The password policy for things like pay stubs and move.mil is ass-retarded. I can never remember which iteration of my revolving, obnoxiously long password with multiple special characters that can't be repeated I am on between multiple sites, and when you fail x3 you just enter your SS# and birthday. If that's the case then why can't that just be the login verification to begin with? Thankfully all these sites are now CAC-enabled, yet another reason to fork over $8 for a USB smart card reader.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The conventional wisdom used to be that 3 Navy moves was equivalent to a house fire. Maybe things are better now, but when I was in you could pretty much bank on stuff getting trashed or lost/stolen by the movers on any given PCS move. The only variable was how bad it was going to be. If you really value something, move it yourself.
If they jack up your stuff, just file the claim. I've never collected less than $700 when moving due to damages once I learned not to put up with their b.s.

Don't wait for it to look terrible. Don't 'let it go' for 'just a scratch,' because after your 5th move the cumulative damage will make you say 'crap, now I need a new xxx' and they will deny the claim the next time due to 'previous damage.' I learned this with the first coffee table/end table set I have that now looks like someone took bat to it.

The reimbursement cost to re-finish a wood surface for furniture is in the realm of $200-400 per item, but you won't get that if you wait past the first time there is evidence of damage from a move.

Last edited:

SoopurHero816

Anyone have an experience with moving and having a dog? I have a rescued pitbull certified therapy dog (different from a service dog) who is well behaved. Where I live now it is nearly impossible to find housing that takes in Staffordshire Terrior breeds. Anyone have any experience with moving to flight school with a dog, more precisely a pitbull? The dog would be taken care of by my partner, I just want to make sure that moving with a dog is permitted in the Navy.

Thanks in advance.

Pags

N/A
pilot
It's your responsibility to move your pet to include cost, execution, and finding housing that will allow that particular breed.

I also have a part pit rescue and moved with him but only did rental homes as opposed to apartments.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Anyone have an experience with moving and having a dog? I have a rescued pitbull certified therapy dog (different from a service dog) who is well behaved. Where I live now it is nearly impossible to find housing that takes in Staffordshire Terrior breeds. Anyone have any experience with moving to flight school with a dog, more precisely a pitbull? The dog would be taken care of by my partner, I just want to make sure that moving with a dog is permitted in the Navy.

Thanks in advance.

You'll want to be aware that some military housing does have breed restrictions, and Ive heard through the rumor mill that some countries have breed restrictions as well so if you are sent OCONUS, it may create an issue. But in general, for just owning the dog the only difficulty will be making sure you can find a rental that allows a pit, if/when housing isn't an option (either because it isn't available, won't take a pit, or isn't your preference).

SoopurHero816

It's your responsibility to move your pet to include cost, execution, and finding housing that will allow that particular breed.

I also have a part pit rescue and moved with him but only did rental homes as opposed to apartments.

That is typically the only type of residence I have had luck with in the current state I live it.

You'll want to be aware that some military housing does have breed restrictions, and Ive heard through the rumor mill that some countries have breed restrictions as well so if you are sent OCONUS, it may create an issue. But in general, for just owning the dog the only difficulty will be making sure you can find a rental that allows a pit, if/when housing isn't an option (either because it isn't available, won't take a pit, or isn't your preference).

Duly noted. Sorry, I am still slowly learning all the military acronyms, what is OCONUS, and how long is that typically? Reading between the lines, I am assuming that is being stationed somewhere overseas for a few years or something to that effect?

Thanks for all the information everyone!

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Sorry; OCONUS is overseas. (Technically, it is Outside the Continental United States, so it includes Alaska and Hawaii). It would last as long as any regular tour lasts, because it is a regular tour, just located in Japan or Guam or where ever instead of CA or FL or somewhere in the US. If you are applying for pilot or NFO, I think they only overseas locations for your first tour would be Japan and Guam (and Hawaii), but I wouldn't swear to that.

sickboy

pilot
It's important to note that OCS to Pensacola isn't a PCS move if you're single (therefore 100% out of pocket). Obviously OP doesn't have this problem, but for others reading this, paying to move all your crap down south can get spendy quick. I came from Oregon so it cost me about $2000 to move just the basics + my car, and another $1500 for a bed, cheap kitchenware, and furniture once I got here.

For me, my move to Primary was out of pocket too, as they just wrote me an ORDMOD to Corpus. (i.e. called API an enroute school after I was complete). Don't know if that's normal or just some shady millington budget cuts. Something to be aware of.

Mitcherd

I hate to piggy back this thread, but I have a question in regards to a PCS move that my recruiter can't answer and I think it's too little to warrant its own thread:
I live in Hawaii, single, with no family on island (so I can't ditch the microwave/beach chairs/random shit that's there when moving out. There's always random shit left over that you don't want when you move).
Do I get a PCS move off island? I don't need my stuff in Rhode Island, but will it ship to API?
Because I have no family on island, I will not return to Hawaii between OCS and API. I forget what it's called when you work in a recruiting station between OCS and API, but if I have to do that it would probably be in my home state since that's where all my family lives and I have a temporarily free place to live.
My recruiter (and everyone I've asked in his office) don't know if I get a free move, since they've always worked with guys that grew up in Hawaii and went to the mainland with nothing and then started accumulating shit, which when they finished API was moved on the Navy's dime. They didn't need (or want) a move, just a plane ticket to Rhode Island to start their new life. A coworker that moved to Hawaii at the military's expense said to do a DIY move, but weigh my stuff, sell it, and then pocket the money both from selling it and that the Navy gives me in order to buy whatever it was on the mainland. I don't know anything about DIY moves so I really had nothing to say besides "I'll look into that..."
If I was moving from my home state, it would be easy to pack all my stuff in my parent's barn and after OCS move it to wherever I'm going. But, having half the Pacific Ocean between here and there means I can't just load up the truck and drive on over. We're really not talking about a lot of stuff, just a bed, desk, futon, chair, piddly-ass beach stuff, clothes, and a kitchen's worth of shit. Nothing close to this 12,000 pound number I've seen float around as the amount an ensign can ship, but because I haven't started OCS I'm not even an ensign yet. Also, to make things easier, I wouldn't move my car. It's a three speed automatic with a top speed of 55; great on an island where the highest speed limit is 55 but not very practical (and wasn't even sold in this package in the US) on the mainland. It's not worth shipping, and honestly not even worth me picking it up at the docks.

Nothing like giving every intricate detail of a potential move, but any insight would be greatly appreciated so I can stop thinking about it.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@Mitcherd You basically have a couple of options, some of which you already discussed.

1. Sell all your stuff.

2. Put it in storage at your expense and claim it later under a DITY move.

3. When you have orders in hand (it's been too long since I joined the military, when do you all get your orders, prior to leaving for OCS?), setup a move where you place your belongings in NTS (non temporary storage) while you go through training. After OCS and you know where you are going next, then move the belongings from NTS to the temporary duty station (TDY). I have moved from Hawaii a couple times (did three tours there), and I used the NTS option a couple times. NTS depending on time frame is either stored short term on island, or longer term in California (cheaper for the government). Basically your orders should have the entitlement option for NTS written in them.

Here is the link to the JTR which covers all the entitlements, this is the source that has the authorizations on what you are and aren't entitled to. This is a very handy thing to reference when you are moving, since I encountered over my career multiple instances where I was originally not given my entitlements for a move and had them adjusted based on a reference to the JTR.

https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/perdiem/JTR.pdf

Best of luck in OCS,

John

PS, this advice just cost you 12 Leonard's Malasadas, just send them FEDEX to me please! :) jk

5280 ENTRANCE INTO THE SERVICE

A. Initial Reporting. A commissioned, reinstated or warrant officer appointed/reappointed in a regular service, and

a person enlisted from civil life or an RC is authorized HHG transportation from the HOR or PLEAD to the first

PDS
IAW par. 5280-B.

F. Commissioned or Appointed from the Ranks to Officer Status. For each officer commissioned/appointed from

the ranks (including An OCS graduate), HHG transportation is authorized from the home and/or the last PDS to the

new PDS, including the place at which the member is commissioned/appointed if such place is, in fact, the member's

first PDS as a commissioned/warrant officer.

5284 PCS WITH TDY EN ROUTE, PCS WHILE ON TDY, OR PCS FOLLOWING TDY PENDING

FURTHER ASSIGNMENT

A. PCS with TDY En Route or while on TDY.

1. A member, ordered to make a PCS:

a. With TDY en route, or

b. Without return to the old PDS, while on TDY,

is authorized HHG transportation to the new PDS.

2. The member may elect HHG transportation up to the TDY weight allowance to the new PDS via TDY

station(s) if HHG are necessary for the member's personal use.

3. Authorized TDY HHG transportation exists regardless of the par. 4505 provisions.

4. The member is also authorized NTS under par. 5232-D1, for the TDY.

5. SIT of any portion of the member's TDY HHG at the TDY station may be authorized/approved by the

member's commanding officer, the AO, the destination TO, or any other Service-designated official at the TDY

station, if necessary.

6. Upon TDY completion, the member's TDY HHG may be transported (including SIT under par. 5236) to

locations authorized under the basic order.

7. As an alternative, the HHG may be placed in NTS if such storage is an option under the member's basic

order.

OscarMyers

None
Thread revival.

We are about to PCS to Pt. Mugu from Pax River, but we are waiting on an opening in base housing. I've heard that the temporary lodging expense allowable days was extended due to the insane market, but I can't find any references. Only thing i could find was the JTR that references that it may be extended to 60 days if the area is listed in a chart in the JTR. The chart is blank.... I've never used TLE or TLA before so any personal experiences and pointers are much appreciate.

croakerfish

pilot
Thread revival.

We are about to PCS to Pt. Mugu from Pax River, but we are waiting on an opening in base housing. I've heard that the temporary lodging expense allowable days was extended due to the insane market, but I can't find any references. Only thing i could find was the JTR that references that it may be extended to 60 days if the area is listed in a chart in the JTR. The chart is blank.... I've never used TLE or TLA before so any personal experiences and pointers are much appreciate.

When I moved to Guam I got 60 days while waiting on our rental to finish construction. IIRC I got a letter from my admin authorizing it which I took to Housing.