• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any advice for transitioning to the Air National Guard?

pdx

HSM Pilot
After 11.5 years on active duty, I'm getting out soon.

Has anyone made the transition to Air National Guard? I'm a helo pilot (HSM), and I am specifically looking at the 129th Rescue Wing near San Francisco.

I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of how to transition to the Navy Reserve, but the ANG is unknown territory. Even among the FW pilots in my air wing, I don't personally know anyone who has made that transition. I have heard second hand accounts that it can be done, but that's about it.

I started reaching out to people on baseops.net, but I would be grateful for any stories or contacts that anyone has around here

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
As a Naval Officer it will take at least a year to get switched over. I'm looking into the NCANG myself and what I'm hearing is that you have to get a full-on MEPS physical and the AF medical process is complicated and convoluted at best. Get hired and get started making the transition right away. There are plenty of Navy/Marine Officers that have done it, so it's not uncharted territory. The unit's officer recruiter should be able to guide you through it.

pdx

HSM Pilot
Thanks,

I'm contacting the recruiter now. It doesn't surprise me at all that the medical/administrative process is convoluted.

When you say "get hired," is possible to start working for a unit before you are actually cleared to fly? I would have assumed that you would have to be selected as a pilot in order to affiliate with the unit.

Buffalo

pilot
It is possible. Be prepared for a long road if you are serious about it. It took me 2 years from start to finish to transition over. Just be proactive and if the squadron likes you, they will hire you.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Just to be clear, joining the ANG or ARNG does NOT mean you will get a full time job with them. You may need to get another job while you wait to get a full time gig. That might be what jollygreen was alluding to.

I got a full time position about a year after joining the ARNG. That is unusual. Some pilots have taken over 7 years to get a full time position. Performance and timing both play significant parts on when and if you get a full time position. BTW, the medical process took about a year before I was able to join, so there was a two year period from the time I started the process and when I had a full time job in the ARNG. My job in IT paid the bills during that time.

In my case, the timing was significant. One MTP went med down and the other got a job somewhere else right as I finished my Army transition flight training. They needed an MTP badly, a position opened up, and I had a qualifying resume (because I had just finished the Army MTP course).

So yeah, definitely look for another job to pay the bills while the process runs its course.

Edit: Clearly the long process can be a benefit to the unit. Think of it as a 1 to 7 year job interview.

Last edited:

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I just moved to the same area, and while the 129th may not the right move for me & Mrs Beans right now, it might be in the future, so I'll be watching. Good luck!