• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Highest time Apache pilot retires

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LCOL to Warrant. So you can go to war. At a mature age. That is heroic in itself.

I wonder though how common it is to go Army commissioned to Army Warrant. We have all heard of Navy helo bubas taking warrant in the Guard. In fact, I am meeting next week with a former SH-60 guy now CWO3 who is flying a Hawk into one of our Cobra events. I'll ask him.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Can't imagine anyone in their right mind would leave the Navy flying Seahawks to fly Blackhawks as a warrant in the Army/Guard. FWIW, I'll be into my 50s for my next deployment.

Last edited:

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
LCOL to Warrant. So you can go to war. At a mature age. That is heroic in itself.

I wonder though how common it is to go Army commissioned to Army Warrant. We have all heard of Navy helo bubas taking warrant in the Guard. In fact, I am meeting next week with a former SH-60 guy now CWO3 who is flying a Hawk into one of our Cobra events. I'll ask him.
One of my TPS classmates was a West Point grad who switched to CWO (at the Cpt. point, I think). If you love flying, the Army career path is less than optimum.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
One of my TPS classmates was a West Point grad who switched to CWO (at the Cpt. point, I think). If you love flying, the Army commissioned officer career path is less than optimum.
Fixed it for you.

Reactions: IKE

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
G model Cobras? Jesus. That's like starting your career out in an F-4 then going to the F/A-18 for you jet dude types. 10,000 hours is insane. I think you know you've arrived when your accepted callsign is "Jedi."

Awesome story.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
How was the transition from Navy to Army? Is there is a similar program like the Coast Guard's program has for Aviators?
Program? LOL! No program what so ever. Show up for drill, hope you have your uniform on right. The beret was a real puzzle.

I had to go through the UH-60A AQC to learn to fly a 60 (again). Then I went to the MTP course even though I was an FCP in the Navy. Being an MTP is quite a bit more involved than being an FCP. Later I went through the instructor course even though also been an instructor in the Navy.

It's probably slightly easier flying but in a much more austere environment. Any of you guys complaining about shipboard amenities should try living in a tent on a FOB in Indian country. LOL

BleedGreen

pilot
Program? LOL! No program what so ever. Show up for drill, hope you have your uniform on right. The beret was a real puzzle.

I had to go through the UH-60A AQC to learn to fly a 60 (again). Then I went to the MTP course even though I was an FCP in the Navy. Being an MTP is quite a bit more involved than being an FCP. Later I went through the instructor course even though also been an instructor in the Navy.

It's probably slightly easier flying but in a much more austere environment. Any of you guys complaining about shipboard amenities should try living in a tent on a FOB in Indian country. LOL

Interesting stuff. How long did the transition end up taking would you say?

jtmedli

pilot

How is MTP more involved than FCP?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I joined in September of 2007. Went to maintenance manager and maintenance leader course the next spring. Didn't get to fly until the AQC in Nov/Dec of 2008. Everything else was back to back with only a few weeks off in between. By June 2009 I had completed the 60M transition and MTP course and started a full time gig as a technician at Cecil Field. I got to deliver most of our new HH-60Ms and many other new aircraft for the Army. Fun stuff.

Really, the "transition" was the UH-60A AQC and the 60M transition course. Everything else were additional qualifications. Now days they have a specific 60M AQC.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
FCP is a qual. MTP is a job.

Not that FCP doesn't usually go along with a job, but MTP is a career path. As such, there are about ten weeks of school just to get you on the basic track. Then there is RL progression and a lot of mentoring before you are set loose.