• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS FY17 Budget Proposal to Cut CVW-14

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Not to rehash the old argument but technically the Navy doesn't 'reactivate' squadrons, once they are disestablished a squadron is gone for good officially unlike the other services.
Page 4

Attachments

• 5030_4g-2.pdf
    321.3 KB · Views: 35

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VAQ-134 has been an EXPED squadron since they started the Growler transition this past Summer. None of this stuff is a surprise, and they'll probably stand another CVW up once FORD is thrown into the mix.

I think I read a quote from one of the Powers That Be to the effect that since one boat was always going to be in RCOH or major mx avail, nine CAGs was all we needed for the foreseeable future, even once we've got 10 boats available again.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think I read a quote from one of the Powers That Be to the effect that since one boat was always going to be in RCOH or major mx avail, nine CAGs was all we needed for the foreseeable future, even once we've got 10 boats available again.
Wouldn't surprise me, time will tell.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
still have a few friends in -15……..sad to see my alma mater go away. I was thinking the other day, I wonder what happens to all the random shit from a ready room/squadron when they stand down? I know there is a lot of history in the cruise boxes laying around……..as PAO, I remember finding an old squadron logbook, with a crazy entry in the Lebanon airstrike timeframe "CAG shot down in 307, CSAR launched" or something. There was also the ADB from the jet Suge Wise died in during AWF. Lots of things that probably shouldn't end up in a dumpster.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
still have a few friends in -15……..sad to see my alma mater go away. I was thinking the other day, I wonder what happens to all the random shit from a ready room/squadron when they stand down? I know there is a lot of history in the cruise boxes laying around……..as PAO, I remember finding an old squadron logbook, with a crazy entry in the Lebanon airstrike timeframe "CAG shot down in 307, CSAR launched" or something. There was also the ADB from the jet Suge Wise died in during AWF. Lots of things that probably shouldn't end up in a dumpster.

306?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's sort of funny that VAW-112 is going away. It was always the Mystery Squadron...they were there of course, but it seemed like no one ever knew anyone who was from there or who had gone there. Nothing ever seems to happen with them - no hazreps or Battle E's, no mishaps or "you hear about that -112 guy?" stories.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Apparently there are conex boxes full of stuff like that, including the extra coffee grinder you guys never used on cruise. Fact is, no one knows the exact answer...I'm sure the archive doesn't want our beer die table.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."

Apparently there are conex boxes full of stuff like that, including the extra coffee grinder you guys never used on cruise. Fact is, no one knows the exact answer...I'm sure the archive doesn't want our beer die table.

I used to look through the PAO archive also. There were a lot of newspaper articles taped to paper that were from the Vietnam era. A lot of copies of photos from the McAir photo shoot when we first received Hornets. Is the big carnival looking lion still sitting in the ready room? I hope that all of that stuff isn't lost to the dumpster. Hell I'll take all of it and hold it until the "next" VFA-15 wants it. Too much history there to just let it go away.

I'll have to make sure to make it to the deactivation ceremony.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Consider getting in touch with National Museum of Naval Aviation or your local Officer's club. I'm sure there is a good home at one of those places for a lot of the memorabilia.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Consider getting in touch with National Museum of Naval Aviation or your local Officer's club. I'm sure there is a good home at one of those places for a lot of the memorabilia.

I was in a squadron that was disestablished and our Skipper worked with the Naval History and Heritage Command to preserve a few things, since they are the official history folks for the Navy that is who you need to start with and they should know what if anything they should get. If you can't find a point of contact I know someone who works there. Official records and other statutory stuff that pertained to official business went to the Wing.

Our mess fund was in the red as we were shutting down and we ended up 'auctioning' off some cruise plaques and other squadron memorabilia to squadron members to get us out of debt (MWR apparently reviews the mess fund when units are shut down), but that was all 'non-official' stuff. If your mess fund doesn't need the money the O' Club and Naval Aviation Museum are good places for non-official stuff/memorabilia like cruise plaques, models, etc to be sent. I am pretty sure the mess fund has to be zeroed out so have a big bash/Irish wake if you have funds left over. Our Skipper bought a tombstone for the squadron (the funeral home did it for us 'at cost') that should still be outside the Whidbey O' Club and I know one of the ES-3 squadrons had a funeral procession and a wake when they shut down.

ChuckM

pilot
Provided your Wardroom votes for it, you could always auction the stuff off (maybe on eBay?) as a fundraiser and then donate the cash to MWR.

I'm pretty sure the museum in Pensacola got most HSL-51's plaques, etc. when we transitioned to HSM-51. There are definitely outlets eager to take all the historically significant items that are laying around.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Provided your Wardroom votes for it, you could always auction the stuff off (maybe on eBay?) as a fundraiser and then donate the cash to MWR.

I'm pretty sure the museum in Pensacola got most HSL-51's plaques, etc. when we transitioned to HSM-51. There are definitely outlets eager to take all the historically significant items that are laying around.

We only 'auctioned' stuff off internally to folks who were in or who had been in the squadron, I am sure that stuff is proudly populating several man caves today. I would be wary about auctioning stuff off publicly, too much proud history to be sending out into the unknown to hang on a random wall when it could be appreciated by folks at the O' Club, a museum (USS Midway Museum, Naval Aviation Museum, etc)or a former squadron members wall at home.

Personally I would not fund MWR, there are several other more worthy organizations that could use the money like Tailhook's scholarship program, that goes to the dependents of Naval Aviators and Navy aviation personnel killed in the line of duty, as well as several other veteran charities. I had a few experiences with MWR that left a bad taste in my mouth.