• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

30-40 Kragaphiles, lets see the hardware!

Redux

Let me first say I have next to ZERO interest in AK/AR platforms even though I do have a Chicom SKS for a SHTF day >meh right<?
I LOVE stuff like my 03's, Garands, Levers, 70 Win and now plural Krags. Bought the one I was talking about earlier today, WILL test fire tomorrow. I only reload for 30 and 44 cal so plenty of powder and bullets in stock.......... brass for 30/40 is another story, never enough.
Anyway, if you have the San Juan Hill workhorses lets see em!

IMG_4551.JPG IMG_4552.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4553.JPG
    IMG_4553.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4558.JPG
    IMG_4558.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4559.JPG
    IMG_4559.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4560.JPG
    IMG_4560.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4561.JPG
    IMG_4561.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4563.JPG
    IMG_4563.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 17

A7Dave

pilot
Model 1899 Carbine. Most likely never shot and turned over to NRA/DCM in the late 1920s, then sporterized. Left side plate milled for original peep sight like Redux's gun. Military metal butt plate replaced with a correct period (1927) Jostam rubber butt pad. No rear leaf sight. Military front sight replaced with matt ramp brass bead. Perfect bore. Top extractor is nitre/fire blued. Cocking piece is correct milled down and checkered version. This was a well taken care of hunting rifle bought from a trapper in Alaska.
DSC_0066.JPG DSC_0072.JPG DSC_0075_2.JPG DSC_0079.JPG DSC_0083.JPG

Redux

Model 1899 Carbine. Most likely never shot and turned over to NRA/DCM in the late 1920s, then sporterized. Left side plate milled for original peep sight like Redux's gun. Military metal butt plate replaced with a correct period (1927) Jostam rubber butt pad. No rear leaf sight. Military front sight replaced with matt ramp brass bead. Perfect bore. Top extractor is nitre/fire blued. Cocking piece is correct milled down and checkered version. This was a well taken care of hunting rifle bought from a trapper in Alaska.
Awesomely cool! Not the strongest or most accurate BUT certainly one of the best looking. And if Mountie Lee or Sgt Schultz used it, it HAD to be cool!

attachment.php

tumblr_me4l1tdCY11rwjpnyo1_500.jpg

A7Dave

pilot
You don't see Krags too often, but one movie that caught my eye (particularly considering our interminable involvement in Afghanistan/Pakistan) was Gunga Din. Historically inaccurate as hell, but what the heck. Trapdoors, Krags, US pistols. All cool.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Gunga_Din

What was the picture above Sgt Schultz from?

CAMike

None
Contributor
You don't see Krags too often, but one movie that caught my eye (particularly considering our interminable involvement in Afghanistan/Pakistan) was Gunga Din. Historically inaccurate as hell, but what the heck. Trapdoors, Krags, US pistols. All cool.

Too EZ Dave.
Hogan's Hero's "Color the Luftwaffe Red" (Season 4, Episode 8). Loved the other 60's hot thangs that appeared in so many episodes. Naomi Stevens, Cynthia Lynn and Sigrid Valois to name a few. Big Guns for the period!

Redux

A rather inaccurate WW2 comedy show, entertaining and flat out stupid. You had to laugh stupid, Bob Crane, John Banner and Richard "Family Feud" Dawson. No, Hollyweird didn't know the difference between a Krag and Mauser I guess.

Renegade One

None
My noms for "best Krags in movies":

HBO's made-for-TV movie "The Rough Riders":
30-40-Krag-Jorgensen-carbine-replaced-the-1873-Springfield-here-used-by-US-Cav-in-film-The-Rough-Riders.jpg

Second, the iconic Marine Landing Party scene in the 1975 classic "The Wind and The Lion":
US-Marines-with-.30-40-Krag-Jorgensen-rifles-in-1975-film-classic-The-Wind-and-the-Lion-1.jpg

Finally, I've never seen this one, but apparently there's a 1987 drama called Ironweed that stars Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep. Jack Nicholson's character remembers in a flashback a 1901 trolley strike in which there are US Army soldiers present to defend a Trolley conductor from an angry mob. All the soldiers are seen carrying and firing Krag-Jørgensen Rifles:
400px-IronD.jpg

Redux

Aren't you being a little hard on the Beav?
Nawwww.... I LOVED Hogans Hero's! :D I imagine it was a spoof of Stalag 17 which IMHO was one of the best war flicks of all time tho a different unlikely theme. Right up there with Best Years Of Our lives and All's Quiet on The Western Front.

A7Dave

pilot
Here's how good a 116 year old rifle can shoot. I'm sure the gun is capable of a group half the size shown. My iron sight skills just aren't up to it. Still, not bad. The gun really liked these surplus .308 FMJ 147 grain bullets, which my Garand doesn't shoot nearly as well. Also surprising considering it is designed to shoot a long 220 grain bullet.

DCS_1151_zpsjuier28g.jpg

Redux

Hey, everybody shares man, I want the brass. :D Not bad at all, Id take it! Much milder recoil between that and an 06 IMHO.

Renegade One

None
The gun really liked these surplus .308 FMJ 147 grain bullets, which my Garand doesn't shoot nearly as well. Also surprising considering it is designed to shoot a long 220 grain bullet.
Were you able to load these bullets to the correct OAL so they don't get rim-jammed in the box magazine feed, or are you shooting single loads only?

A7Dave

pilot
I did nothing special. Set COAL to the cannelure and it loaded into the gate just fine.