• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Avg Hours/Month

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Marine Hornet guys are averaging about 8-10 hours a month. Last year when we dropped to 10 jets per squadron didn't help. And no, 100 hours a year doesn't mean 2 or 3 flights per week. Most hops are 1.3 and very few of those are BFM unless they're initial codes for a dude, or you're in a work up. The only hours I'll get this month are from evaluating a PSL on the road and an FCF flight.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd be interested in what a Marine Hornet squadron's (CVW and non-CVW) funding profile looks like compared to a normal Navy CVW squadron as you go through the readiness cycle. Is there an echelon II command that manages your fleet-wide OPTAR or is that delegated down?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd be interested in what a Marine Hornet squadron's (CVW and non-CVW) funding profile looks like compared to a normal Navy CVW squadron as you go through the readiness cycle. Is there an echelon II command that manages your fleet-wide OPTAR or is that delegated down?

Maybe they are running low on per diem money to launder or stolen bikes to pawn off.

jtmedli

pilot
Hello AW Marine Aviators,

I had recently spoken to a HMLA guy who said he would expect non instructors to get around 15 hrs per month, which I note is incidentally the minimum target stated by the 2015 Marine Aviation Plan. Do you guys really only get in that many flight hours a month? I've spoken to AF guys (dunno about navy) and they said they expect at least 30 a month, if not more. I'm wondering if this is, again, a question of funding more than anything else.

Thanks.

FWIW, in the HSC community I average about 15. Some months as low as 5 hours and then some as high as 45+ hours. The 45 hour months are rare. 25 hours is more normal for busy months and 10 hours is more normal slower months. To reiterate what has been said, it all depends on workups and what quals you have. If you're qualified to instruct and FCF then you'll fly considerably more than someone who is only qualified to be an AC commander with minimal instructing qualification.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you're qualified to ... FCF then you'll fly considerably more

By "fly considerably more," I'm assuming you mean sweating your ass off on the ground wondering why the #2 engine won't prime (or whatever other reason that prevents you from logging that sweet .7 of 2K2 at a time...at the end of the day right before sunset when you're just ready to go home anyway).

jtmedli

pilot
By "fly considerably more," I'm assuming you mean sweating your ass off on the ground wondering why the #2 engine won't prime (or whatever other reason that prevents you from logging that sweet .7 of 2K2 at a time...at the end of the day right before sunset when you're just ready to go home anyway).

Or you get to be the lucky guy that comes in the next day and flies it for 5 hours chasing vibe runs. ;) It's hit or miss on those things...mostly miss though!

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Or you get to be the lucky guy that comes in the next day and flies it for 5 hours chasing vibe runs. ;) It's hit or miss on those things...mostly miss though!

...you also get credit for turning a downed bird to up and then high-five everyone in QA for doing so!

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
5 hours in the air? Never had one take anywhere close to that long, and I've been doing blade track and balances on 60s for a LONG time.

Quals and being full time help a lot on the guard side. As an MTP, ME and IP I could get 20-25 hours a month easily. 15 hours a month even when the pickings are slim (short on flight hours). Meanwhile the part time PIs not going through RL progression are lucky to get 10 hours per month. And if you are "that guy" no one seems to be available to fly with you and you will be fighting for scraps and lucky to meet minimums.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
One of the known but less publicized issues in the 60S is that there are some combinations of main gearboxes and main rotor heads that will never have vibes come in.

You've seen this if vibes are in at 140 or Vh, but not both. Continually. For over 10 runs.

(Cherry Point just gave us a waiver until we could get back from deployment.)

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot

I don't know much about that save for the squadrons who are deployed to a combat zone, boat or not, are pretty healthy, at least until they return home. Everyone else, including UDP-deployed squadrons are hurting pretty bad. Each time a squadron gets back, their jets get divided up amongst the next squadron(s) to head out the door.

After reading this I have a question as an aspiring aviator.

How many flight hours would a USMC aviator have after their first tour? I'm interested in TPS but wouldn't one need 800+ hrs to get in?

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor