• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

speedroller

Rangers
Anyone with a foreign background care to share? I was born in Latvia, now a U.S. Citizen, my recruiter requested my original birth certificate. Problem, I cannot find it, I do have a copy with a notarized translation. Getting the original would take months.

My recruiter also mentioned DD 372, with a caveat that the selection board might reject me for whatever reason me not having the original birth certificate. This makes no sense to me, why would the OCS selection board make this call?

Thanks

exNavyOffRec

Anyone with a foreign background care to share? I was born in Latvia, now a U.S. Citizen, my recruiter requested my original birth certificate. Problem, I cannot find it, I do have a copy with a notarized translation. Getting the original would take months.

My recruiter also mentioned DD 372, with a caveat that the selection board might reject me for whatever reason me not having the original birth certificate. This makes no sense to me, why would the OCS selection board make this call?

Thanks

In the Officer Recruiting manual it gives what is acceptable when the original birth certificate is not available, as long as it is followed there will be no issues, and the board looks at your professional record, not things like birth cert, SS card.

zack13usa

Thanks
I had a digital copy sent to my recruiter and it was approved and then submitted along with my package without any problems or concerns.
Make sure you bring your original Naturalization certificate though

speedroller

Rangers
In the Officer Recruiting manual it gives what is acceptable when the original birth certificate is not available, as long as it is followed there will be no issues, and the board looks at your professional record, not things like birth cert, SS card.
I do have my naturalization certificate and a U.S. Passport, I would think that is sufficient.

I had a digital copy sent to my recruiter and it was approved and then submitted along with my package without any problems or concerns.
Make sure you bring your original Naturalization certificate though
My recruiter said that a copy will not work, hopefully my U.S. Passport and the naturalization certificate will do the trick

zack13usa

My recruiter said that a copy will not work, hopefully my U.S. Passport and the naturalization certificate will do the trick

Just to be clear, my digital copy was of my "original birth certificate" so I'm not quite sure if that's what your OR was referring to...Both the processor officer and my recruiter insisted that it must be a "copy" of the original and written in that country's native language

mb1685

Here's some dumb ones:

I'm assuming stretches before/after PT are done in a group. Will the DIs give you special 'attention' if you can't touch your toes while keeping your legs completely straight? I unfortunately can't.

Are sports ever played during PT, and if so, which ones? Embarrassingly enough, there are a couple of sports that I never learned the rules of, so maybe I should dig up some instructional materials designed for kids, haha.

navyhaz

Here's some dumb ones:

I'm assuming stretches before/after PT are done in a group. Will the DIs give you special 'attention' if you can't touch your toes while keeping your legs completely straight? I unfortunately can't.

Are sports ever played during PT, and if so, which ones? Embarrassingly enough, there are a couple of sports that I never learned the rules of, so maybe I should dig up some instructional materials designed for kids, haha.

Stretching: they don't look for it but if they see it they will course correct.

Sports: none. Unless cross country running is one of the sports you're referring to...

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
Here's some dumb ones:

+1 internet for honesty there, dude.

Good news on the lack of sports is none of you guys will have withstand the embarrassment of me crushing you at downhill skiing... too bad. Guess I'll just have to suck less on the track...

Bluecore

Hey all, I'm back. Graduated mid-October. I went about 5-6 pages back and picked out some easily answerable questions/issues that could be addressed.

I would be devastated if I didn't get to do the ropes course....probably one of the things I am most excited about haha

I overheard my class Officer say that my class was the last one who was going to get to do the high ropes course until the Spring :( My understanding is that they don't run it during the crappy weather seasons.

Couple of stupid questions:

1) I am in the 03Jan class, How is indoor PT?
2) For liberty weekends/post graduation.. Should I bring an extra civilian outfit or 2 other than the one I have on the first day?
3) any other contraband I bring, (make-up etc...) will those just be taken away initially and then returned after a certain week?

1. Indoor PT sucks. You do it in the p-way in Nimmitz.
2. I stayed in Newport until Sunday and wished I had some extra civilian clothes.
3. Contraband is left in your lucky bag ad you are allowed access to it during Candi-O phase. You are granted access to it before then only in special circumstances. For us, we had a situation where some dumb Candi-O misplaced an Indocs watch and put it in the wrong bag, so the entire Regiment had to pull out their lucky bags one night and search for said watch. I was able to snag some stuff I left behind at that time but that's an exception.

Hey all, i'm leaving for OCS on 29NOV. I was just wondering, given the events occurring in Paris, while we're at OCS how disconnected are we from specifically the news? Will we be able to keep up with current events going on outside of the bubble of OCS?

Well I already missed this guy, but for everyone elses information, the only way to really get new outside of emailing your family and friends starting in week 4 is by risking a glance at the TV that always plays CNN in the Galley while taking your trays back. You also get access to the news website www.cbc.ca, which is a Canadian news website that is really really bad and almost useless. They were posting NFL box scores and live streaming play by plays though, so it did everything I needed it to do :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If it makes you guys feel better, I missed most of at least the first month of Operation Iraqi Freedom because we could only get TV if the ship went on one specific heading. I was upset to not being able to hear Baghdad Bob's daily press conferences.

SoopurHero816

I apologize if this has already been addressed, but do we have access to have a haircut later on in OCS? I am a female and I have a short and appropriate haircut, it is just a tad shorter than a pixie cut. My hair grows kind of fast and I would like to have a generally decent appearance when it comes to hair for graduation (versus looking like a shaggy slob.) Also, if there is a different place for females and males to go for haircuts, is it possible (later on in OCS, like Candi-O phase) for me to get my hair cut by an electric shaver because that's what I get now.

I can't believe out of all questions I have, I pick this one to ask right now. But I was just curious.