• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

SoopurHero816

Ok guys, my turn. I scored a 52 6/8/7 and I'm relieved to say the least. Let me preface by explaining how screwed up my process was. Went last week for OAR and when I got to UAV section, it kept freezing. Tried 5 more times with no luck. I came back an hour later to see if it worked itself out, no luck. Finally went back today, and same exact thing happened, froze on me. Recruiter said I would need to come back next week. Its an hour and a half away and I work full time, the stress is building, I wanted to take it NOW! I was willing to drive, whatever it takes! Luckily I was able to go across the street to the ROTC building and try it there. So I settle in, log in, click start... "sorry you cannot test since this is a different set of equipment." WHAT!? Once again, they called the APEX people for me and I had to go hangout for an hour and try again. Well luckily it finally worked and here I am. I'm going to post a nice long gouge because I certainty appreciated reading them all, instead of "hey guys you are awesome scored 70 8/8/8 bye".

The same exact thing happened to me, it's frustrating. It makes me wonder what my grade would have been if the test hadn't of screwed up for me. I had to go to my recruiters office three separate occasions due to equipment issues. I know I lost focus during the UAV section due to this malfunction.

silver236

None
So I am stationed here in Okinawa. Unfortunately, I could not complete the entire ASTB-E due to technical difficulties with the joystick and the throttle so I still have the joystick portion of the exam to do. I am highly upset at the fact that the proctor failed to check the equipment prior to administering the test. I hope I get to start where I left off. Unlink many others, I don't have the option to travel to a different testing facility since Camp Foster Testing Center is the ONLY place here in Okinawa where ASTB-E is administered.

flynavy830

So I am stationed here in Okinawa. Unfortunately, I could not complete the entire ASTB-E due to technical difficulties with the joystick and the throttle so I still have the joystick portion of the exam to do. I am highly upset at the fact that the proctor failed to check the equipment prior to administering the test. I hope I get to start where I left off. Unlink many others, I don't have the option to travel to a different testing facility since Camp Foster Testing Center is the ONLY place here in Okinawa where ASTB-E is administered.

I'm not sure they can check the equipment. As far as I know, they login and then hand off the program to you. Do you know what the problem was?

jwm90

Coffee > Sleep
I would try and get to this board before retesting, but your PFAR isn't great, it is "sufficient" so unless you like to jump up and yell "I'm average!" I would say your OR is trying to make you feel good.
I'm sure he is, and thanks for your timely response. I'm currently studying in case I need to retake the tests but it looks like we're going to move forward and apply. Thanks again - it helps to keep my feet on the ground and my head level.

jwm90

Coffee > Sleep
If you can get your kit in for this board might as well try. Scores are on the bubble but the selection rates have been 90%+ the past couple of years.
Thanks for your response! The recruiter I've been talking to feels the same way and we're moving forward with the application as is at the moment.

Kandosii

Anybody want to help a new guy out? I'm brand new to this site and joined to help study for this test.

Long story short: I had my test today, and I am trying to figure out if I need to retest or not...
My scores were 62/7/7/7. My recruiter said I should be okay, but honestly I've had Recruiters lie to me before. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Submit with those scores first. OAR is good, ASTB scores are average, but boards have been picking up people with 6s and even 5s lately. Worst case you get a PRO-N and retake it later.

mel_vino34

Ok I am stumped about a question I got on the reading comprehension. I don't remember it verbatim but it had to do with the color of stars and none of the answers made sense to me. I believe I picked the one saying something about the sun turning red as my answer. I've taken the ASTB twice and believe I got it both times so I doubt I'd get it a 3rd time. I just want to know if anyone else remembers this question and their answer because I am genuinely curious.

mb1685

Ok I am stumped about a question I got on the reading comprehension. I don't remember it verbatim but it had to do with the color of stars and none of the answers made sense to me. I believe I picked the one saying something about the sun turning red as my answer. I've taken the ASTB twice and believe I got it both times so I doubt I'd get it a 3rd time. I just want to know if anyone else remembers this question and their answer because I am genuinely curious.

I remember getting a complex astronomy-related question and it turned out that all the answers except "galaxies have many properties" (or something like that) slightly contradicted the text. It felt strange picking the simplest, most vague answer, but I triple checked that one and the other choices truly weren't correct.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Yeah I believe there are some in there where none of the answers are a 100% fit, but you're supposed to choose the most correct one.

TravisH

Navy2017
Well I just took the ASTB a second time and my scores were 48 (Actually decreased from a 49, took too long trying to figure out some problems and lost track of time...) and a 5/7/6. I'm currently a senior and have a 3.2 GPA in Political Science with a minor in History. I am the athletic chair for my fraternity, volunteer hours at the public library, team captain of multiple intramural teams (Not sure if this matters), as well as have two officer interviews with a Navy Captain (Helicopter pilot) and a recently retired Rear Admiral (Super Hornet pilot as well). I have three letters of recommendation from an active duty o-5, a professor from school, and a retired NFO. That being said, does anyone think I have a chance? I understand my OAR is low, I am bummed about it, but my OR said if I waited the 3 months, I would miss the upcoming board. Like most of you, it really has been my lifelong dream to be a Naval aviator and any input helps. Thanks!

TravisH

Navy2017
Well I just took the ASTB a second time and my scores were 48 (Actually decreased from a 49, took too long trying to figure out some problems and lost track of time...) and a 5/7/6. I'm currently a senior and have a 3.2 GPA in Political Science with a minor in History. I am the athletic chair for my fraternity, volunteer hours at the public library, team captain of multiple intramural teams (Not sure if this matters), as well as have two officer interviews with a Navy Captain (Helicopter pilot) and a recently retired Rear Admiral (Super Hornet pilot as well). I have three letters of recommendation from an active duty o-5, a professor from school, and a retired NFO. That being said, does anyone think I have a chance? I understand my OAR is low, I am bummed about it, but my OR said if I waited the 3 months, I would miss the upcoming board. Like most of you, it really has been my lifelong dream to be a Naval aviator and any input helps. Thanks!

Also, I have a supervisor from work as another LoR

hopefulflyer

Hi all, I am new here. I am in the process of applying for PLC air. I took the astb last week and got 69, 8/5/7, so my pilot score was one notch below qualifying (6 is necessary for Marine Aviators). My OSO said that unfortunately the Marine's are not offering anymore NFO contracts, which is too bad because I would take my 7 and run with it.

My question is, can anybody shed any light on what the fact that my FOFAR score was a 7 but my PFAR score was a 5 means? As I prepare to retake in 90 days, is there any way to tell what specific parts I should focus on to raise my PFAR score?

Thanks for any and all help!