• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2016 STA-21 Applicants

ccfite

EOD changed things up a bit around a year ago, not sure if it applies to all commissioning paths but they were going to start taking EOD officers only from those that had prior EOD experience. A SEAL officer I know said about 5 officers he was going through SEAL training with that were coming up just a bit short were offered opportunities to switch to EOD and they did.

The crappy part is around 70% of those that attempt SEAL training as officers don't make it, and generally if you don't make it, you go home, you don't get redesignated.
Thanks for the info! If I don't make it, I'll get redesignsted because I would still owe the Navy 5 years for STA-21. Regardless, like you said, it's not easy! Thanks again.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the info! If I don't make it, I'll get redesignsted because I would still owe the Navy 5 years for STA-21. Regardless, like you said, it's not easy! Thanks again.

don't count on it, it really doesn't make a difference, they send guys home all the time that owe time, had 2 guys TAD at my NRD that were on the way out after failing flight school, one from USNA one from NROTC

ccfite

don't count on it, it really doesn't make a difference, they send guys home all the time that owe time, had 2 guys TAD at my NRD that were on the way out after failing flight school, one from USNA one from NROTC
So you know someone who got commissioned through STA-21 but failed his program school and was then sent home and out of the Navy? That makes no sense according to the instruction. If, per say, I get accepted, go to BUD/s, and I fail out.....nowhere does it say that they would then kick me out of the Navy. It wouldn't make sense for that to happen. Why not make me a SWO at that point and get 5 years out of me? The instruction says that at "any point", if there is a program drop, you still owe the Navy 5 years.

I hope you know I am not trying to come across brash...I genuinely want to know if that's the case! lol...maybe I missed something.

exNavyOffRec

So you know someone who got commissioned through STA-21 but failed his program school and was then sent home and out of the Navy? That makes no sense according to the instruction. If, per say, I get accepted, go to BUD/s, and I fail out.....nowhere does it say that they would then kick me out of the Navy. It wouldn't make sense for that to happen. Why not make me a SWO at that point and get 5 years out of me? The instruction says that at "any point", if there is a program drop, you still owe the Navy 5 years.

I hope you know I am not trying to come across brash...I genuinely want to know if that's the case! lol...maybe I missed something.

There is the instruction, and then their is real life. In the past people that failed out of say flight school or BUDS would in general get redesignated if they wanted, not the case now as some want to stay but can't, I also had a guy that failed out of BUDS about 2 years ago and he and every officer that was in his class that failed all went home, the example you gave you would think would apply to those graduating from USNA and NROTC as people that go through those programs get their college paid for but nope they will send them home, besides those two saw a few others on the way home that spent TAD time at the NRD I was at, the guy I mentioned before that was USNA was also a prior enlisted.

Dewse5150

I did apply for nfo, but ever sence AT's have been given the opportunity to work within the NSW community supporting with UAVs i've wanted to go that route. That is only an enlisted thing as fas as i know. Nfo selection is just as slim as cec for sta21. And after looking at most of these guys stats, i have alot of work. My age is not really agreeing with me. Ccfite, is specwar officers the only designation that works within that community?

FYI, if you go for UAVs you won't be able to put in an officer package, you have to complete a 4 year tour with them. That's why I'm not doing it.

ccfite

Hope everyone is enjoying their long weekends! I'm trying to finish this American Lit class online...anyone else excited for the possibility of taking classes IN a classroom instead of online?! These online classes are getting old.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
I'm taking in seat classes....Physics and Differential Equations. Once you complete the gen eds you should consider taking in seat Calculus and Physics classes. These are required for STA-21 (except Nurse Corps), and showing your ability to complete them early is DEFINITELY an advantage.

What's your major?

CTI2

My buddy got selected in 2012, he said it will say selected in the "selection status tab" of your profile on NetFocus before the NAVADMIN comes out. Maybe like 3 days prior. Hopefully that is true!
Has anybody checked their status page lately? Anything different? I'm on vacation and don't have a cac reader but I'm being very impatient.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
No changes to NETFOCUS. I'd imagine the next change will be the Selection Status Tab will have information in it. Just to finish up the NETFOCUS discussion:

A couple of us noticed under the Package Status Tab that our packages were completely gone.
We also noticed that in the Application Tab our Application Last Updated read "18 Sep 2015" and at or around 10:00 A.M. This would indicate someone changed the information in that tab for us because that tab was not available to edit on 18 September.

Weird stuff...it could be nothing. But there are 3 people that have confirmed the same thing on their NETFOCUS. I guess we'll see if there is a correlation when the results are released.

Enjoy your Columbus Day everyone! Say prayers for Tuesday!

Dewse5150

No changes to NETFOCUS. I'd imagine the next change will be the Selection Status Tab will have information in it. Just to finish up the NETFOCUS discussion:

A couple of us noticed under the Package Status Tab that our packages were completely gone.
We also noticed that in the Application Tab our Application Last Updated read "18 Sep 2015" and at or around 10:00 A.M. This would indicate someone changed the information in that tab for us because that tab was not available to edit on 18 September.

Weird stuff...it could be nothing. But there are 3 people that have confirmed the same thing on their NETFOCUS. I guess we'll see if there is a correlation when the results are released.

Enjoy your Columbus Day everyone! Say prayers for Tuesday!

Has this happened in the previous years that you applied?

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
No. Last year I was able to see my package at this time and my Last Updated date was in June.

Guys last year mentioned that some of theirs were dissappearing.