• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's my stupid question: I know if you lateral move in the Marine Corps to another MOS that you keep your wings. I also know if an officer fails to select for promotion twice that they generally must vacate their commission. Hypothetically, if an officer, Navy or Marine, had to vacate his commission and opted to enlist to finish out his time till retirement, would he keep his wings? Provided he was not FNAEB'd? He wouldn't be able to fly anymore, but I've seen officers PDQ'd keep theirs.

For a while there was a Marine SNCO (don't remember his rank) around NASP with NFO wings. Story was that he'd got his commission and was an A-6 BN, then got RIF'ed with the '90's draw-down. He opted to revert to his prior enlisted rank to get a few more years before retirement.

Once you earn you wings, you rate wearing them unless specifically stripped of them by a FNAEB.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
For a while there was a Marine SNCO (don't remember his rank) around NASP with NFO wings. Story was that he'd got his commission and was an A-6 BN, then got RIF'ed with the '90's draw-down. He opted to revert to his prior enlisted rank to get a few more years before retirement.

Once you earn you wings, you rate wearing them unless specifically stripped of them by a FNAEB.
Same Same in the 80's we had some staff nco navigators who where former F4 NFO's

exNavyOffRec

I remember reading the CRUITMAN about this a few years ago, it looks like in the current environment they make it nearly impossible once a person is an officer to go the enlisted or go back enlisted.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This was discussed recently in another thread (FOSx2). There's an instruction linked on NPC that details how it can be done. I was surprised that it's a thing (beyond what an LDO might do for retirement), but it can be done.

Coota0

None
Saw a video on A-7s, the pilot looks like he is wearing a full face flight helmet. Am I correct about the helmet? Was that common? Is there a reason behind it?
A-7.png

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Saw a video on A-7s, the pilot looks like he is wearing a full face flight helmet. Am I correct about the helmet? Was that common? Is there a reason behind it?
Found it: The HGU-20/P
HGU-20/P

The U.S.N. HGU-20/P (designation assigned in 1968) was developed for the AOH-1 program. This "Clam Shell" helmet was based on the previous U.S.A.F. HGU-15/P (tested during the 1963-64 on F-104 and F-105).
The helmet with clear visor, neutral grey visor and M-94A/A microphone, was flight tested in fighter and fighter-strike aircrafts from the late 60s to the early 70s. Because of his excessive weight, restricted bilateral peripheral vision and the chin section snagging on chute harness capewells (while checking 6), the pilots considered this helmet not suitable for operative flight and high-G maneuvers.

This site had quite the extensive listing.

brownshoe

Contributor
A-7.png

Actually our RAG airwing (CAW 4) tested the helmet during the mid to late 60's. No one liked the damned things. Pretty cool looking and it did what it was supposed to do, but all of our pilots basically didn't like them because they were bulky, vision in the cockpit was a problem and freedom of movement in the cockpit was restricted. Imagine trying to wear one of those in a A4 Skyhawk! The IP pilots in VA-44 did and bitched about them, as did those A7 criminals in VA-174.:p They were done away with and harmony was once again restored in hangar 67 at Cecil. :)

Sorry for the late reply.

Last edited:

jmcquate

Contributor
This is some serious nerdery, but looking at that site, this helmet looks nearly identical to the helmets worn in the space shuttle up to and including challenger/STS-51L, including the half split design. Wonder if they just pulled them off the shelf....
I doubt it. The STS ascent helmets are/were made for pressure suits. But there may be a family lineage.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I doubt it. The STS ascent helmets are/were made for pressure suits. But there may be a family lineage.

That's what I meant, however, it wasn't until post Challenger that they wore full pressure suits during ascent/descent. IIRC they wore basically fancy bags w/ G-suit and the helmet. Hence the discussion of personal air pack activation during the post disintegration fall.

brownshoe

Contributor
^^^
Edit to my previous post: In a phone conversation with either Hugh (BzB) or Ron (Rodebmar) I remember we discussed these helmets and they were to be used when delivering nuclear weapons.

Last edited:

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
There was an instructor in VA-174 when I went through in '77 that still had one and he pulled it out and flew with it every once in awhile....just because he could.:cool: First time I saw it, I thought he was a former astronaut or something. Then I learned he was just another typical SLUF driver. :D

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^^
Edit to my previous post: In a phone conversation with either Hugh (BzB) or Ron (Rodebmar) I remember we discussed these helmets and they were to be used when delivering nuclear weapons.
Ah nukes and their all white stuff:
suitnuclear.jpg
ma2nuclear.jpg
z3antignuclear.jpg

Interesting: "The white Anti-Flash MA2 Integrated Torso Harness, developed in 1961 for Tactical Nuclear missions together with other additional white-color pieces of equipment, and the very first prototype of the Fire Resistant, Non-Melting type Flight Suit, the HT-1, issued in 1962. This suit might have been used as an Anti-flash garment too, but the main reason of the shiny-white color is simple: at the time the DuPont Company, producer of the new HT-1 material (and later Nomex), was unable to dye it properly without loosing the non-flammable properties."