• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

300 Required?

Facepalm

SNA hopeful
I just did my first PFT mock test today and I ran it in 24 minutes flat. (264/300) I doubt I'm competitive at this point. I'm quite lucky since I'm a natural runner, you know I'm a scrawn. 24 minutes isn't bad for my first run since my ankle injury in December. I hope I can get near 300 before I'm ready to submit a package.

Handozizle

Well I might be bumping the thread, but one question, what is the average PFT that PLC and OCC hopefuls are getting accepted with in the recent boards?
I applied for OCC 211 and was non-select with a GPA of 3.3 & 286 PFT. From what my OSO told me, the average PFT for that class was a 289. This is everything combined (Female, Law, Reserves, Ground and Air). Pretty much you will have to score a 290+ to even have a slight chance at active duty. This is just my speculations, but i would think ground will have a higher PFT average when compared to air. Although air might be lower, the average will probably be 290+ for October's 214 class. The average just keeps getting higher with each class. Also, apparently USMC is currently looking for more NFO applicants (hence why I'm applying as NFO instead of ground).

tribeaviation

I applied for OCC 211 and was non-select with a GPA of 3.3 & 286 PFT. From what my OSO told me, the average PFT for that class was a 289. This is everything combined (Female, Law, Reserves, Ground and Air). Pretty much you will have to score a 290+ to even have a slight chance at active duty. This is just my speculations, but i would think ground will have a higher PFT average when compared to air. Although air might be lower, the average will probably be 290+ for October's 214 class. The average just keeps getting higher with each class. Also, apparently USMC is currently looking for more NFO applicants (hence why I'm applying as NFO instead of ground).

Were you a non-select for ground or air?

KBayDog

RoamingBiologist

Flying out deep into the wilderness.
I am debating whether to take my PFT this coming week or wait a bit more to train my run time. Captain told me to just show up to get a baseline as I've got a few months to train up if need be. Not gonna lie, I am not the fastest runner in the world, but I do train cardio daily for 1-2 hours a day (cycling, swimming, martial arts, traversing laps). When the moons of Jupiter are aligned, and I see a double rainbow in the morning I can run 1.5 in 9:40s, but I got to be able to replicate that for 3 miles... that's going to be interesting. I can max out the pullups and crunches, but the run is gonna be a ROFL moment in my mind.

*Going this route incase Navy boards gives me a giant NOPE*

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
You have nothing to lose by showing up and running a sub-par PFT. AFAIK the board only sees the PFT score that is sent with your package. So, the worst case scenario is that you end up running a 28:00 min 3-mile and your OSO lets you know that your run time needs work before your package gets sent to a board.

I ran a PFT every week for 2 months until I scored high enough to get selected.

Sarah Kathleen

In high school I was selected for the Marine Corps National Scholarship- which I'm sure is similar as far as requirements for a flight slot and I ran a 3oo. The girl who won the Navy's barely passed the PT test. The Marine Corps really does take the PFT seriously- my recruiter told me 285+ for males in competitive while a 245+ for females is competitive but, to always aim for a 3oo. I took the PFT three times because I scored a 298 the first two times I tried... Damn crunches. Either way, I'd say if you're above a 280 go ahead and apply, or the smarter route- work your ass off and get that 300.

DynamicHFM

That 285+ to be competitive stuff is bullshit. Over the last three boards there have been several individuals picked up with high 260-275 PFTs. Does running a 285+ put you in a stronger position for selection? Perhaps? Beyond the members that sit on the selection board, no one can tell you what a competitive score is. Why? Because each package is made up of more parts than just a PFT, and every group of candidates will have a different spread of scores and qualities. The board members are looking for candidates that exemplify the qualities of a Marine Officer, which goes much deeper than being able to PT all day. This is not to say that you should allow your PFT to suffer, each part of your package should be as strong as you can possibly make it, but absolutely do not allow yourself to be discouraged from applying to a board because you're "only" running a 285 or 298. The worst thing that can happen is that you are non-select, and if that happens you pick yourself back up and improve for the next board. What do you think that shows? Initiative, Perseverance, Dedication, a drive to work hard at something that is not easy because you want it. It shows that you're not going to give up when things get tough. Those are the things that will eventually lead to a select.

Sarah Kathleen

That 285+ to be competitive stuff is bullshit. Over the last three boards there have been several individuals picked up with high 260-275 PFTs. Does running a 285+ put you in a stronger position for selection? Perhaps? Beyond the members that sit on the selection board, no one can tell you what a competitive score is. Why? Because each package is made up of more parts than just a PFT, and every group of candidates will have a different spread of scores and qualities. The board members are looking for candidates that exemplify the qualities of a Marine Officer, which goes much deeper than being able to PT all day. This is not to say that you should allow your PFT to suffer, each part of your package should be as strong as you can possibly make it, but absolutely do not allow yourself to be discouraged from applying to a board because you're "only" running a 285 or 298. The worst thing that can happen is that you are non-select, and if that happens you pick yourself back up and improve for the next board. What do you think that shows? Initiative, Perseverance, Dedication, a drive to work hard at something that is not easy because you want it. It shows that you're not going to give up when things get tough. Those are the things that will eventually lead to a select.
I'm sure you can get selected with a high gpa, high ASTB scores, awesome LORs, etc. but everything I've heard has always been high PFT has some serious weight. But if you can get selected with a 280 then props to you!