• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
Hi, I'm taking just the oar portion. I am studying algebra, trig, and logs now. What I really need help In is the mechanical portion.

Well, these gouges will do a great job with getting you ready to take the OAR. I've got some mechanical gouge stuff, I'll attach it to this post.

Finding the gouges on this site is a little tricky sometimes, I know there was a post on here that had a ton of links, and gouges. Let me see if I can find them for you.

(edit) I am not in the Navy yet, package is submitted and ready for Board review.
(edit2) Attached the Personal Study Guide that's been circulated on these forums for awhile. It's killer. Really helped me improve.

Attachments

• ASTBmechanical.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 160
  • ASTB_Personal_Study_Guide.pdf
    341.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Sarahteacher12

Yeah I get kinda lost in some of her forums. I could be just searching them wrong. I've went into a few of them but it seems like the title of the forum starts another conversation which leads to a whole other topic. And that's where the links to guides are. Is that right?.

Thanks for the attachments!

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
Yeah I get kinda lost in some of her forums. I could be just searching them wrong. I've went into a few of them but it seems like the title of the forum starts another conversation which leads to a whole other topic. And that's where the links to guides are. Is that right?.

Thanks for the attachments!

I've not found a better way than just reading the forums and hoping for the best. Search what you might want to find, follow a thread and see what comes of it. And no problem, anything to help!

Shane-27

Hi everybody,

Quick question: Has anyone been hearing rumors that if you took the old version of the ASTB and then decide to take the new version, you can choose which score to submit? I know this is contrary to the policies of both the new and old exams, so I was skeptical. I took the old version two years ago as a freshman and got 8-7-7, but the only reason I took it was because my LT told us it wouldn't count as one of our 3 attempts, so we could essentially use it as a practice run. Now I don't know if I want to try to improve my score or just sit on that one (I really think I could have done better). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
Hi everybody,

Quick question: Has anyone been hearing rumors that if you took the old version of the ASTB and then decide to take the new version, you can choose which score to submit? I know this is contrary to the policies of both the new and old exams, so I was skeptical. I took the old version two years ago as a freshman and got 8-7-7, but the only reason I took it was because my LT told us it wouldn't count as one of our 3 attempts, so we could essentially use it as a practice run. Now I don't know if I want to try to improve my score or just sit on that one (I really think I could have done better). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Haven't heard anything about being able to choose from scores, all I know is they take most recent scores. Your scores are pretty solid. No point in really retaking unless you truly feel that you can get 9's and 8's on the 2nd attempt.

exNavyOffRec

Hi everybody,

once you take the ASTB any previous takes are gone.

Your scores are good, don't retake.

flynavy830

My current dilemma... my scores are 5/6/5 48 from paper version three years ago. I graduate in December. Finally talk to an OR today for the first time, I was asking if I could go ahead and get MEPS out of the way for my PQ letter. He insists that I take ASTB again before bothering with MEPS. Would it make sense to get a package in ASAP and get MEPS cleared with current scores just to see what happens, and study for the ASTB regardless? I'm at the mercy of a recruiter, so I'm not sure how to go about discussing this with him.

It's my understanding that you can only apply to a certain community (SWO/NFO/SNA, etc) once every six months, so if you submit a package with only so-so scores, you might be wasting both yours and your recruiters time. He might want to you to bump those scores up and get a solid kit before getting you all squared away with meps and sending off your package.

Focus on blasting the ASTB out of the park. Get up to meps. Then hurry up and wait for the board. Best of luck!

flynavy830

It's my understanding that you can only apply to a certain community (SWO/NFO/SNA, etc) once every six months, so if you submit a package with only so-so scores, you might be wasting both yours and your recruiters time. He might want to you to bump those scores up and get a solid kit before getting you all squared away with meps and sending off your package.

Focus on blasting the ASTB out of the park. Get up to meps. Then hurry up and wait for the board. Best of luck!

Yeah, makes sense. I'm busting my ass studying for the new E version. In hindsight I rushed into the paper version so I'm not going to let that happen again.

Yeah, makes sense. I'm busting my ass studying for the new E version. In hindsight I rushed into the paper version so I'm not going to let that happen again.

Good. There's plenty of good gauge here regarding tested subjects, practice tests, and study material. Search around and you'll find good stuff. Good luck.

Doc Walsh

HM1 -> Pilot
pilot
ok heres the deal, i took the ASTB-E back in March and got a 39 5/7/5.... i know, not the greatest but i think i suffer from test anxiety (only in the OAR portion) or something like that. I just finalized my OCS package yesterday but i am in limbo if i should retake the ASTB or not.

Here's what i got going into the board:

• SNA/SNFO applicant
  • Age 28, 9 year Active Duty HM1(FMF)
  • ASTB-E: 39 5/7/5
  • B.S. Management, 3.1 GPA
  • LORs: three Navy o-6's (two pilots, one former CO)
  • Interviews: three Navy O-6's (all pilots)
  • Awards: Purple Heart, 4 NAMs, CAR
  • Two deployments to Afghanistan with USMC infantry
  • Combat Meritoriously Promoted to PO2 in 2010
  • last four evals were all EPs
  • SOY, SOQ (5 times over the past five years)
  • PPL 210 TT, almost IFR/Comm rated.
What do you guys think? i am really stressing out. my biggest fear is doing worse on this next one.

exNavyOffRec

ok heres the deal, i took the ASTB-E back in March and got a 39 5/7/5.... i know, not the greatest but i think i suffer from test anxiety (only in the OAR portion) or something like that. I just finalized my OCS package yesterday but i am in limbo if i should retake the ASTB or not.

Here's what i got going into the board:

• SNA/SNFO applicant
  • Age 28, 9 year Active Duty HM1(FMF)
  • ASTB-E: 39 5/7/5
  • B.S. Management, 3.1 GPA
  • LORs: three Navy o-6's (two pilots, one former CO)
  • Interviews: three Navy O-6's (all pilots)
  • Awards: Purple Heart, 4 NAMs, CAR
  • Two deployments to Afghanistan with USMC infantry
  • Combat Meritoriously Promoted to PO2 in 2010
  • last four evals were all EPs
  • SOY, SOQ (5 times over the past five years)
  • PPL 210 TT, almost IFR/Comm rated.
What do you guys think? i am really stressing out. my biggest fear is doing worse on this next one.

You are in a tough spot, I don't know if you could take the ASTB again and make the next board, and given the age on your profile you need to be in OCS by the end of Nov to meet commissioning age, I would roll the dice and see what happens, even then you have a small window to get to OCS.

flynavy830

Good. There's plenty of good gauge here regarding tested subjects, practice tests, and study material. Search around and you'll find good stuff. Good luck.

Oh yeah, I have a few books and a stack of printouts. I'm pretty nervous taking the test again, especially the new version. The only section I am really nervous for is math, mainly word problems. I'm having a hard time studying because I bounce between topics too fast.