• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AMEX Platinum

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Squadron mate of mine tried that. Generally, Citi will only refund the fee if you had the card before you got it. He ended up eating the fee, but he flies a lot and gets the usage out of it. He's told me, in his opinion, Centurion Lounges > AA Admiral's Club >> Delta Sky Club.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I really want this card (already a huge fan of the Amex SPG) but I'm waiting to see if I can nail down the 100K point offer. The current offer is 40K, but it bumps up from time to time. Has anyone ever received the 100K offer? I have a feeling they wouldn't target me for the 100K offer because I'm a military member who's already enjoying the Amex SPG for no annual fee, but that's just a baseless hunch.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I really want this card (already a huge fan of the Amex SPG) but I'm waiting to see if I can nail down the 100K point offer. The current offer is 40K, but it bumps up from time to time. Has anyone ever received the 100K offer? I have a feeling they wouldn't target me for the 100K offer because I'm a military member who's already enjoying the Amex SPG for no annual fee, but that's just a baseless hunch.
Well, it took AMEX 2.5 years to figure out I retired from the Navy. They sent me a letter announcing the reinstatement of the Platinum membership fee. Sigh. Bummer. :(

Do I want to give up my access to the Centurion lounges? Hmm... :cool:

AllYourBass

pilot
Well, it took AMEX 2.5 years to figure out I retired from the Navy. They sent me a letter announcing the reinstatement of the Platinum membership fee. Sigh. Bummer. :(

Do I want to give up my access to the Centurion lounges? Hmm... :cool:

Did they pull any retroactive Fee x 2.5 years = Sad Webmaster madness or did they just pick up from when they noticed it?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Did they pull any retroactive Fee x 2.5 years = Sad Webmaster madness or did they just pick up from when they noticed it?
Nope, they just said thank you for your service and the fee start date. No retroactive.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor

Check out the Flyertalk Forums. They have threads to find hot links. It's where I found my 50k Gold offer a few months ago.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
That would be a total dick move.
They sent it to me twice, once before OCS and once after. I got lucky, but I'd check flyertalk like SynixMan said. Or maybe call and ask. Just don't tell them you're military until you get the card in hand.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I think they're catching on to the gift card trick. I bought a $200 Southwest gift card on Aug 26th, and they didn't post the reimbursement until Oct 9th. Since I rarely use the card for anything else, there's a -$200 balance on my card now. Well played, Amex. Well played.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
I think they're catching on to the gift card trick. I bought a $200 Southwest gift card on Aug 26th, and they didn't post the reimbursement until Oct 9th. Since I rarely use the card for anything else, there's a -$200 balance on my card now. Well played, Amex. Well played.

Check FlyerTalk. With some airlines you have to break it up into $50 or $100 increments.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I was told to do multiple $50 cards. You don't even have to separate it into different transactions. Somehow the system sees 4 $50 items purchases for a total of $200 differently than it sees 1 $200 item. That's the gouge I got on Flyertalk (I believe).

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

The AMEX Platinum is a fantastic card. Back when I was single, I would call and have them make reservations for the Jules Verne restaurant in Paris or the Palace Hotel in Prague. Unparalleled customer service.

My wife just got the AMEX Delta Platinum Card - and 60,000 miles (good for a round trip ticket to Europe.) I have the Hyatt Visa Card which gives you 2 free nights at any Hyatt in the world regardless of price as well as earning points for more free nights.

In addition to flyertalk, try http://thepointsguy.com/ will have a constantly updated section of the best credit card offers as well as special airline deals.

AllYourBass

pilot
Check out the Flyertalk Forums. They have threads to find hot links. It's where I found my 50k Gold offer a few months ago.

I didn't know about FlyerTalk until you mentioned it. Now I'm three hours into the rabbit hole. I'm applying for a Chase Sapphire, I signed up with AwardWallet and ThePointsGuy, I'm researching airline ticket hacks, investigating the AMEX Platinum issue...

....and my NATOPS check process resumes Tuesday. WHY U DO DIS!?!?!?

AllYourBass

pilot
I didn't know about FlyerTalk until you mentioned it. Now I'm three hours into the rabbit hole. I'm applying for a Chase Sapphire, I signed up with AwardWallet and ThePointsGuy, I'm researching airline ticket hacks, investigating the AMEX Platinum issue...

....and my NATOPS check process resumes Tuesday. WHY U DO DIS!?!?!?

Instructor: Tell me about the transmission system.

AllYourBass: Well, the transaction will work differently depending on which card you use and when. Starwood points are usually a good bet, especially if you're staying at a Starwood property when you're doing the spending, but you need to make sure you hit your three-month spend limit on your newer cards to get your points before you spend on the old tried-and-true plastic in the wallet. Your limits are mostly related to these three-month windows. Execute emergency spending if you're approaching the bonus point window and you still have a lot of spending to do.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Instructor: TECHNIQUE ONLY, TECHNIQUE ONLY, some gouge for making those minimum spends in Florida: make rent payments with your card. From what I've seen, renters in Florida don't charge a fee for that (although JEA does, one of the many reasons they suck).