• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAA 529 = Ripoff

Yes, everyone talks about how USAA customer service/experience has regressed in direct proportion to their heavily-advertised membership drive. But beyond that, they really seem to be profiteering from whom I imagine they consider to be oblivious and trusting sailors, soldiers, etc.

An example is their 529 plan. I am astonished at the fees, often in excess of 1%. Other plans, with identical benefits, better interface, and better investment options have fees of about 1/6th of a percent (like NY Saves 529)... and many have fees below a quarter of a percent for similar investing (similar at worst, better is more apt).

The impact of fees on performance could not have received more press in the last couple years and the difference between 1 and 0.2 is significant, and extremely hard to discern by signing up for their plan.

Obviously their loan rates have always been on another planet from the competitive landscape, and I think that projects to everything they do and probably pays for a lot of the commercials. Just a heads up if you have a USAA 529 to check the fees and compare to other plans.

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
This is true of almost all of USAA's proprietary investment offerings. It's like paying Mercedes car payments for your 2009 Camry.

snake020

Contributor
Love their insurance, but I've never been impressed with USAA the bank. Two weeks ago there was fraudulent use of my credit card. Apparently the first two phone calls I made were not enough to get them to generate a fraud report, despite an E-mail confirming they'd started the process. Had a similar case mid-deployment back in 2007.