• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ipad

jugg34naut

pilot
I just finished instruments in 31. Very few instructors cared that I used it. I don't use the gps function. I have folders saved for each airport so I can open whichever approach plate I need. It saves me time trying to flip between dot and dod, star to ifr sup, and lo to airport diagram. Some instructors pushed it, others gave me crap but were ok with it. I always had the paper close by just in case they wanted to screw with me in the emergency sims and review stage. I suggest getting a solid case that will permit you to clip the iPad onto the side window. I clip my mini 2 at the upper left corner to the side window with the clip that they issued us just like a normal approach plate. It works well and I'm not heads down as much from my scan. Some guys just strapped it to their kneeboard and they say it works well though.

TA910

"Spoon"
pilot
Good to go. Where did you find the right case for the job? I have a hard case for my mini now, but I don't think it will be able to do what I need.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Can anyone comment on using a Mini iPad for chart reading? I've used an Air in the cockpit, but not a Mini, and I'm concerned it might be too small to try and move around in sectionals/Lows. But it's also smaller and lighter. Thoughts?

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
Can anyone comment on using a Mini iPad for chart reading? I've used an Air in the cockpit, but not a Mini, and I'm concerned it might be too small to try and move around in sectionals/Lows. But it's also smaller and lighter. Thoughts?

I have to zoom in sometimes to read approach plates on my mini, but you get used to it really quickly. I don't know about sectionals, but I don't think it would be too big of a deal. Do you feel short on space with the Air?

ChuckM

pilot

I use foreflight on the ipad mini (3) with no issues. I can see everything just fine. The clear strap incorporated into the 9g kneeboard almost everyone has does a good job of holding it place and you can operate the screen through it. I flipped the clipboard upside down so that it cradles the ipad instead of clipping it from the top.

If you can read a smart pack from your kneeboard, it should be good.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just got the free military WingX 7 app for my iPad. The interface seems decent, but not mind-blowing. Haven't taken it flying yet - will report.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot

Foreflight on the Mini is the only way I fly these day. I have no issue reading the charts or plates. Pinch to zoom works great. Highly advise the Wiley X gloves if you are gonna use an iPad. My supply issues those now.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have to zoom in sometimes to read approach plates on my mini, but you get used to it really quickly. I don't know about sectionals, but I don't think it would be too big of a deal. Do you feel short on space with the Air?

Interesting, I would have guessed the approach plate wouldn't be the problem, but I guess the Mini display size would be a bit smaller than an actual plate. I'm not opposed to the Air, but looking at options. I'm actually not looking for the .mil side, but for the civilian side where the cockpit isn't as luxuriously large.

Foreflight on the Mini is the only way I fly these day. I have no issue reading the charts or plates. Pinch to zoom works great. Highly advise the Wiley X gloves if you are gonna use an iPad. My supply issues those now.

I enjoy having gloves that don't fall apart after 3 months, so it's all about the Overlords...

gloves.JPG

But like I said, I'm asking for private use.

ChuckM

pilot
for the civilian side where the cockpit isn't as luxuriously large

This is what informed my decision to use the mini as well. In the Seminole and Seneca, anything larger than the mini gets cumbersome. I watch students fumble around with an iPad air all the time. (It's what the flight school issues them) It can be a huge distraction for them as they manage the iPad and a kneeboard (and the controls).

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
I know one or two instructors in -35 who used them, including the Major with whom I flew my cross-country. I don't recall any SOP that forbade it, but I know you can't use it to replace the pubs and plates, because if the battery dies or something like that, you're SOL.
Unless you have an iPad to back up your other iPad (had an IP do that haha)

jmcquate

Contributor
If the Navy is embracing tablet use in the cockpit, why not put a USB port somewhere on the right side like near the lighting controls?

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You've obviously never dealt with NAVAIR. ;) That would open up a particularly nasty can of worms.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If the Navy is embracing tablet use in the cockpit, why not put a USB port somewhere on the right side like near the lighting controls?

I wouldn't say the Navy is embracing tablet use. It's more like the operators want to use it and NAVAIR is reluctantly getting something that's a half-assed solution into the hands of the fleet that are asking for something more, much sooner than NAVAIR can provide it (due to their own and DoD's road blocks).

Interestingly, while NAVAIR does not endorse the use of personal EKB devices, there's actually no (big Navy) rule that says you can't use one (assuming all the radios are turned off while in the aircraft).