• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air show at MAKS

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Hey, look at the guy falling out of the sky with no energy . . . Fox 2. Kill Flanker, bull 323 at 30."

darrylcn

Ok - Dumb "I'm not aircrew but I follow AW cause I'm a big plane geek" question - would anyone even employ a crazy maneuver like that in combat? Obv stopped is bad, so I wonder if it would be a hail mary thing or if it'd be avoided altogether in favor of traditional speed is life type stuff. Looking at it now I get the whole "sure, it's great at air shows.." of that and Cobra-ing.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Hey.....rudder pedals are cool, they're not just foot rests.

strangely enough, manual rudder inputs are not a part of OCF recovery in the hornet. I'm sure the flight controls are inputting them in that scenario if you get into spin recovery mode, but one of the first steps for the pilot is "feet off rudders"

jmcquate

Contributor
strangely enough, manual rudder inputs are not a part of OCF recovery in the hornet. I'm sure the flight controls are inputting them in that scenario if you get into spin recovery mode, but one of the first steps for the pilot is "feet off rudders"
Really? So what are you doing, just forward sick opposite the rotation? On a related note, I was talking to a 101 IP today and he was telling me that the 35 basically traps itself. Even corrects for a seriously fucked upped start. All hail SkyNet.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Really? So what are you doing, just forward sick opposite the rotation? On a related note, I was talking to a 101 IP today and he was telling me that the 35 basically traps itself. Even corrects for a seriously fucked upped start. All hail SkyNet.

You basically just take your hands off the controls and go throttles idle. It almost always recovers pretty much right away after that, unless you are really trying (full cross control departure with pro-spin split throttles). If the departure is bad enough to invoke spin recovery mode, you get arrows on the DDI's that show you what direction to place the stick in.

jmcquate

Contributor
The arrows were an add on to the DDI, when McDonnell Douglas made a claim that the Hornet couldn't be put into a spin, and a test pilot at PAX put it into a spin.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The arrows were an add on to the DDI, when McDonnell Douglas made a claim that the Hornet couldn't be put into a spin, and a test pilot at PAX put it into a spin.

Yeah, they made a lot of "fixes" to the aircraft early on......takeoff rudder toe-in, the strips on top of the LEX's, the cleats at the bottom of the vertical stabs, etc. The software that pretty much eliminated unrecoverable departures was actually much more recent history.