• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waiver declined, resubmission possibility

RossL805

I was wondering if anyone has had or heard of a similar situation. I had shoulder surgery 6 years ago after dislocation . Bankart repair to be exact, which is a microscopic pretty basic procedure. It is basically to prevent any further dislocation. A year after the surgery I was back playing varsity sports and the captain of the hockey team with no further complications. I'm now 23 and have not had any problems with my shoulder. I work out almost every day and work a physically demanding job. My waiver has recently been denied, though my recruiter said I can get a mobility and strength test from my orthopedic surgeon and re submit. Does anyone know if this could be successful?

Thanks
Ross

exNavyOffRec

Don't hold your breath, it isn't just about being healed it is about "a history of", I have seen many that had been injured, healed, seem just normal, but were PDQ'd due to "a history of"

Phroggirl88

I had a history of knee pain since 2005. The Marine Corps would never do anything, said it wasn't "bad enough". I tried to get on the board last year and it didn't happen because of my knee. In January, I went to the VA and had surgery done, I was cleared in February, strength test/mobility from ortho and my package was on the May board where I got selected. So yes there is a chance at being successful.

RossL805

I had a history of knee pain since 2005. The Marine Corps would never do anything, said it wasn't "bad enough". I tried to get on the board last year and it didn't happen because of my knee. In January, I went to the VA and had surgery done, I was cleared in February, strength test/mobility from ortho and my package was on the May board where I got selected. So yes there is a chance at being successful.

Unfortunately I just found out today My waiver request was declined. My recruiter said I could get another opinion and more detailed tests by another orthopedic surgeon. Needless to say it's quite dissapointing. Didn't think this minor procedure would keep me from at least applying or going to MEPS to get looked at first hand.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
The language of the denial letter is important. Was the waiver request denied due to a lack of information or the results of specific testing? Read the DOD instruction for any tests or studies that are required in conjunction with your physical exam package. If there was something missing in your package, getting the paperwork right may solve the problem.

I've said it a number of times on AirWarriors...waivers are business decisions. The Navy doesn't want to spend a mess of money to train you knowing that you have a condition that may prematurely terminate your career and/or cost the Navy big bucks providing medical care for the rest of your natural life. The size of the window changes with personnel requirements, and if projected supply exceeds projected demand, the line can pick and choose who they want to bring in.
R/

RossL805

The language of the denial letter is important. Was the waiver request denied due to a lack of information or the results of specific testing? Read the DOD instruction for any tests or studies that are required in conjunction with your physical exam package. If there was something missing in your package, getting the paperwork right may solve the problem.

I've said it a number of times on AirWarriors...waivers are business decisions. The Navy doesn't want to spend a mess of money to train you knowing that you have a condition that may prematurely terminate your career and/or cost the Navy big bucks providing medical care for the rest of your natural life. The size of the window changes with personnel requirements, and if projected supply exceeds projected demand, the line can pick and choose who they want to bring in.
R/
Thanks for the reply,

I was told this procedure shouldn't have been an issue to getting a waiver. A bankart repair is a very minor surgery, especially when it was 6 years ago. Hopefully further testing will at least grant me the opportunity to go to MEPS.

Here is the first part of the letter:
1. Based on a courtesy review of available medical information,
further processing of this applicant IS NOT warranted due to a
history of left shoulder instability and bilateral lattice
degeneration.

Thanks.
Ross

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Sounds like there was insufficient information provided to the reviewer. Not sure if that's true, but getting accurate paperwork to the reviewers is a perennial problem. Get with your recruiter to review the relevant DOD and Navy instructions, and make sure that you have all the boxes checked.
R/

RossL805

Sounds like there was insufficient information provided to the reviewer. Not sure if that's true, but getting accurate paperwork to the reviewers is a perennial problem. Get with your recruiter to review the relevant DOD and Navy instructions, and make sure that you have all the boxes checked.
R/
Thanks for the help,

I have an appointment with another ortho to try and get the exact info they need. Hopefully it all works out.

Ross.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the help,

I have an appointment with another ortho to try and get the exact info they need. Hopefully it all works out.

Ross.

It is possible you are being done in by the dreaded "history of" I have seen several shot down by it, you may be fine now but just that you had it done could be it.

In my previous experience N3M was very liberal with "continue processing" tags, they only hit people with "not warranted" if they had no intention on ever granting a waiver, had several that were continue processing that ended up being NPQ.