• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

Jeff R

Been following this thread the past few months since I am thinking about transferring to the IRR in Sep 2017. I'll have 12 years (6 active and 6 Selres) by that time.

It looks like the only courses that are realistic for IRR enlisted sailors are the FEMA and JKO courses. I realize a lot of things can change but it doesn't seem like there are enough points there for me to retire unless the courses are repeatable or they add more options. Any advice on how to scratch out 35-40 points a year to finish up my last 8 years of service?

Been following this thread the past few months since I am thinking about transferring to the IRR in Sep 2017. I'll have 12 years (6 active and 6 Selres) by that time.

It looks like the only courses that are realistic for IRR enlisted sailors are the FEMA and JKO courses. I realize a lot of things can change but it doesn't seem like there are enough points there for me to retire unless the courses are repeatable or they add more options. Any advice on how to scratch out 35-40 points a year to finish up my last 8 years of service?
JPME from naval war college will get u three good years. U can also do USNA blue and gold officer navy funeral honors, and I think jnrotc or sea cadets are also options

Jeff R

I didn't realize the JPME courses were open to enlisted. I was reading the descriptions of those from previous posts and they actually sound really interesting. I will definitely add those to my list of courses to complete if I am authorized to do them as enlisted.

Do you know how to go about getting points for jrotc/sea cadet programs? I would actually be really interested in being a part of a local program as I believe those are very worthwhile things to put my time towards.

Also, thanks for the quick response.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I didn't realize the JPME courses were open to enlisted. I was reading the descriptions of those from previous posts and they actually sound really interesting. I will definitely add those to my list of courses to complete if I am authorized to do them as enlisted.

Do you know how to go about getting points for jrotc/sea cadet programs? I would actually be really interested in being a part of a local program as I believe those are very worthwhile things to put my time towards.

I recently got dropped from a graduate course at NWC even though there were open seats - my assumption is that as IRR they pulled the plug on me. I would recommend staying SelRes, or at least VTU, until within 2 years of retirement. I have this strange feeling that soon the IRR will become ineligible for JPME as yet another method of reducing reserve retirements.

Not really, and I'm a little fuzzy on those last programs. I'm pretty sure if you're a "grey area" retiree you can get a job with NJROTC for pay (and points? Points don't make sense from what I know of regs after you've retired, but somehow I still think so). I can't remember the difference between Sea Cadets and Sea Scouts. One of them would allow SELRES additional duty (points only), and I had heard IRR could participate for points years ago. I would start off by calling your nearest chapter of each, expressing your interest in keeping a connection to the Navy, then at the end say "oh hey, do you know if I can ear points for this?" I wouldn't be surprised if it's like Blue & Gold Officer, where you have to complete some training or something first. Good luck!

Oh, I'm with Randy too--it really seems like they're trying to put the squeeze on IRR folks, so if you're thinking of leaving SELRES I'd go VTU first to keep the points coming, and easier access to courses/etc...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't remember the difference between Sea Cadets and Sea Scouts. One of them would allow SELRES additional duty (points only), and I had heard IRR could participate for points years ago.

Sea Cadets is a Navy League program while Sea Scouts is a Boy Scout one. Sinc the Navy League's purpose in life is to support the Navy I am going to hazard a guess they are the ones reservists can be affiliated with, Sea Scouts aren't really affiliated with the Navy as much.

GubMints

Concur w/ What is being said here. BIG NAVY does not want you to earn your retirement benefits via Brownie Points - They want your blood, sweat, and tears. I would not count on earning more than 2-4 years of credit in the IRR from correspondence courses.

rob00000

5749412040_palin_drill_baby_xlarge.jpeg

LISTEN to Sarah!! PLEASE! (That fire you see burning are correspondence courses she torched as they are now useless for retirement points!)

rob00000

I called PERS today for an update on my points.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that some certs that they received from me on August 20 had already posted to my ASOSH! That's lightning fast! I never expected to hear that!

I had sent them 40 points for this year & 3 straggler points for last year. (16 certs all together) The 3 for last year were already posted & the 40 for this year were entered into the system yesterday. She said in a few weeks my 40 points should post to my ASOSH. Again, they received all of these certs from me on August 20.

When I seemed surprised they were posted so quickly she told me they are all caught up with the backlog of certs. Those of you who have been waiting a while for some certs to post may want to give them a call. If they still haven't posted ask them why we've been told they are caught up? (Use my story as an example)

Good luck everyone!

N4Life

That's odd, I was talking with -912 earlier this week about points submitted in May that haven't approved. The person I talked to said they are behind schedule and are now using a 6 month turnaround schedule. She commented that she was surprised that some of the courses I submitted were already approved and said 'I must have gotten lucky and someone looked at them already.'

rob00000

That's odd, I was talking with -912 earlier this week about points submitted in May that haven't approved. The person I talked to said they are behind schedule and are now using a 6 month turnaround schedule. She commented that she was surprised that some of the courses I submitted were already approved and said 'I must have gotten lucky and someone
looked at them already.'

Oh well, we're back to square one now as far as information from PERS goes. I wish they would get their story straight. I call them & get told great news. You call them & get told the exact opposite of what I was told.

I did find it a little hard to believe they were caught up as they were so far behind, so my gut feeling now is whoever you spoke to was probably correct. The mystery continues.

Michael, I called PERS today & they picked up the telephone immediately. I had a few questions for them as I'm now in my 20th year.

I did ask them about the 30Sep14 list & they verified we can use that list. They even changed the date of the list at the IRR website from 1Jun15 to 30Sep14 so I'm sure we're good.

That being said, if you want to call PERS again to double verify go ahead. If you do, please share any info here with the rest of us.

You asked about getting additional confirmation from the IRR counselors that we can use the 30Sep14 list? Remember, I got that info from Chief Rincon who is the chief in charge of the IRR counselors. She's the one who sends out the info to her people & is the most knowledgeable one there from what I've noticed. If her word can't be trusted then no ones word over there can be trusted as they all get their info from her.

Rob00000- Many thanks for the reply! Sorry I am seeing it now and just responding to you. That is very encouraging news as I was just looking for more than one confirmation! I will have 18 good years once I finish the latest batch of courses this year. Looks like it will be a rocky sprint toward the finish line for those of us with less than 5 years or so to go. Thanks again.

I think they are just behind. Courses I sent in March didn't show up until late June. I was getting concerned that I wasn't going to have a good year but everything worked out just fine in the end.

Duncan Idaho (or anyone else knowledgeable)- I believe that the date your courses are received at NPC is the date the courses become creditable (assuming of course that they are valid courses). For instance, let's say that the date of your anniversary year is 1 Oct. You send in your courses on 15 August. You call NPC and they say that they are received on 17 August. If hypothetically they don't actually get around to crediting the points until 15 Oct I think you still get a good year.(?) Therefore, it is the date that NPC says they received that your submission is the date that they will be effective... even if they don't actually credit them until after the close of your anniversary year. As background, I was told that info by the lady (Ms. Fontaine I think) at NRTC a few months ago becuase I told her I was nervous that points I had submitted to NPC way before the close of my anniversary had been received by NPC, but not actually credited. Any comments on whether I am right, or wrong, are greatly appreciated!

Honest question: so how exactly are IRR officers expected to earn their required 27 points per year to maintain good standing (forget good year for retirement purposes) if they cannot do correspondence courses? Not all officers live near a NOSC that performs funeral honors duty. Also, basically all, ADTs/ADSWs require a CAC card to even apply.
Thanks for the update. It appears NPC has reduced the number of available JKO courses by a total of 21; however the 21 courses eliminated were not available anyway from JKO - net, no loss. Of note, nothing was added....

**** Just took a closer look. NPC now lists what courses you are eligible for via designator. For those of us with 13xx, we will lose in JKO on June 01 another 7 course worth a total of 12 points.

Also, DAU and DCAI are also completely gone unless you have an acquisition NOBC/AQD.

Wow, just wow.

All-
Now that the June list is still valid as the Sept list I was wondering if you are allowed to take any course on the list? Or, are they tied to your designator only?

rob00000

Duncan Idaho (or anyone else knowledgeable)- I believe that the date your courses are received at NPC is the date the courses become creditable. !

Wrong. What if you mail them & they get lost in the mail & arrive after your new year starts? You end up with a bad year due to the USPS screwing up? How unfair would that be?

Michael, you are reading way too far into this. It's pretty straight forward. The date on the certificate is the date & year it will be credited too.

Example: Your new year starts Oct 1, 2015. You complete 35 points on Sep 30th, 2015. The certificate reads Sep 30, 2015. You're all set! Period! If you wait 6 months to mail them in you will still get them credited to the year that ended on September 30, 2015