• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

dbluestyle

The Aviation community manager denied my request for the full 48 months and even an extension. They were saying that 39 month is maximum I am allowed to have for six years of AD service. My waiver expires 21 Feb 2016 and the next board is in October 2015. Is there anything else I can do or anybody I can contact to get more than 39 months?

exNavyOffRec

The Aviation community manager denied my request for the full 48 months and even an extension. They were saying that 39 month is maximum I am allowed to have for six years of AD service. My waiver expires 21 Feb 2016 and the next board is in October 2015. Is there anything else I can do or anybody I can contact to get more than 39 months?

That just doesn't make sense, I would ask him the following question, sir it was my understanding that for NFO I need to be commissioned by age 31 and that from the program authorization I am allowed up to 48 months of waiver time, is that not correct?

andre lane

PILOT1906
Do you know why the manger only granted you 39 months instead of the full 48 months? I'm asking because I also submitted a age waiver but before I did I had to take a PT test... I did really well outstanding in all events. Do you think your PT rating had anything to do with not getting the full 48 months?

dbluestyle

I've had all excellent or outstanding PRT's since I join the Navy. The reason I am not getting the full 48 months is because I joined when I was almost 24. They counted the months since the date I joined until my 27 birthday which is 39 months.

exNavyOffRec

I've had all excellent or outstanding PRT's since I join the Navy. The reason I am not getting the full 48 months is because I joined when I was almost 24. They counted the months since the date I joined until my 27 birthday which is 39 months.

ahh, so you must turn 29 on 21 Feb 2016

exNavyOffRec

I turn 31 in November of 2016 but since my waiver is only 39 months, I have to be commissioned before February 21. It is a tough shot but I am taking it. Hopefully that SNFO/SNA happens before October.

still doesn't make sense, the commissioning age without waiver is 27 with waiver is 31, you just have to have 4 years of AD time to have the waiver which you do, unfortunately it was probably some assistant that did the waiver and didn't reach it right.

just go do what you can

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor
@NavyOffRec I couldn't find specific details, but does the age waiver (pilot) also apply to reserve personnel with active duty experience (10 months)?

steakneggs30

@ all IDC Officer recruiters or anyone in the know - I know this has been beaten to absolute death, but can someone come up with a straightforward no BS general competitive profile for an IP applicant? Intel applicant? I do have the PDF file of some old Navy General Officer thingy where it lists general factors for various designators, but can someone paint an even clearer picture for IP/Intel?

Preferably
someone who was actually accepted for IP and/or Intel? OAR scores? Are technical majors for IP an absolute, or one of those "strongly preferred"? I have had recruiters tell me in the past that some IP selects have had non-tech degrees, please verify/discredit?

Thanks in advance fellow AW'ers

exNavyOffRec

@ all IDC Officer recruiters or anyone in the know - I know this has been beaten to absolute death, but can someone come up with a straightforward no BS general competitive profile for an IP applicant? Intel applicant? I do have the PDF file of some old Navy General Officer thingy where it lists general factors for various designators, but can someone paint an even clearer picture for IP/Intel?

Preferably
someone who was actually accepted for IP and/or Intel? OAR scores? Are technical majors for IP an absolute, or one of those "strongly preferred"? I have had recruiters tell me in the past that some IP selects have had non-tech degrees, please verify/discredit?

To start with "competitive profile" to NRC does not mean profiles of those selected, it just means a profile of a person that would have a realistic shot at the board/what recruiters should look for.

General factors is all you will see the USN put out, and who is picked will depend on what the senior member wants, if he puts a high precedence on tech degrees then they will have an advantage, early on when they made tech degrees "strongly preferred" the mix they wanted to shoot for on Intel was 60% tech and 40% non tech.

Don't be very concerned about OAR as long as you are above the qualifying score, there have been many picked with OAR's in the 40's, the big thing is degree and GPA, a person with an EE and 3.5 with 45 OAR is going to look better than a person with history degree and 3.5 with a 60 OAR.

IP is a tiny designator, just a handful a year, seen it at 0, 2, 6, and 10 it just depends, because of that they can (like all IDC) be very picky, I have seen a few with non tech degrees picked, but they also had come from IDC enlisted field, or had taken lots of calc/physics/other tech classes early on in college, they are going to be in a very tech field so that is what the board looks for.

Take all the ideal factors and get as close as you can, some will have more weight than others, and then hope, because with selection rates hovering around 10% or so the chances are very low, and of the ones that aren't selected I would say the vast majority fit a "competitive profile".

exNavyOffRec

Preferably

Look at this thread and the profile of AFChris his professional profile is one I would have confidence in getting selected.

https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/sept-15-idc-board.43211/

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I've been reading up on Intel stuff the past few days, as I'm considering backups to SNA/SNFO should something pop up at MEPS. Right now I'm looking at SWO and Intel. I know I'm competitive for SWO but the question I have is could my OAR score of 70 offset my non-technical major at a difficult university, if I graduate with a 3.5? I know you gave the example of a 45 OAR being more desired than a 60 because of the technical major, but is there a certain point were a high enough OAR score / harder university can offset that?

Sal189379

I've been reading up on Intel stuff the past few days, as I'm considering backups to SNA/SNFO should something pop up at MEPS. Right now I'm looking at SWO and Intel. I know I'm competitive for SWO but the question I have is could my OAR score of 70 offset my non-technical major at a difficult university, if I graduate with a 3.5? I know you gave the example of a 45 OAR being more desired than a 60 because of the technical major, but is there a certain point were a high enough OAR score / harder university can offset that?
Every board is different from what I understand. Having a tech degree may have more weight in some cases; but if you have a person who has "Documented sustained superior performance" along with stellar appraisals and CO's endorsement to match; those could be factors for selection. The whole person concept is part of the equation.