• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about prior college experience

Rover

I'm currently active duty on deployment and am putting together a sta21 package for next year. My intent is to select aviator but I am going to be 27 next May. I do have 89 credits towards an aero engineering degree at ERAU, but my gpa from there is trash, about a 1.9. I'm worried that my only chance to get through college in time before I turn 29, if I get accepted next year, is to go back to ERAU instead of going somewhere else transferring only 60 credits. But I also don't know if I can increase my gpa up above 2.5 in the timeframe at ERAU.

OscarMyers

None
I was in a similar situation. I went to ERAU WW and transferred to the Daytona campus when I got picked up for STA-21. Try getting a hold of an ERAU academic adviser in Daytona and see if they can draft you a degree plan to see the time line your looking at. I transferred with about 70 credit and it took me 2 years, that also included me getting kicked in the junk by calc and physics and having to take a couple mulligans. Also given your age NFO is a very viable option. As for your GPA, that might be a tough sell for the board, but I'm not on it so who knows. Don't forget to take in account how to pay for it. ERAU is a private school so there is a annual cap if you plan on using the GI Bill. The STA-21 payout will not cover the costs alone.

exNavyOffRec

I'm currently active duty on deployment and am putting together a sta21 package for next year. My intent is to select aviator but I am going to be 27 next May. I do have 89 credits towards an aero engineering degree at ERAU, but my gpa from there is trash, about a 1.9. I'm worried that my only chance to get through college in time before I turn 29, if I get accepted next year, is to go back to ERAU instead of going somewhere else transferring only 60 credits. But I also don't know if I can increase my gpa up above 2.5 in the timeframe at ERAU.

I am going to be blunt, with that GPA your STA-21 application will go one place, in the round file, I don't even think that is high enough to actually commission.

The other crappy part is if you do the math it is impossible to get to 2.5 even if you ace the remaining 31 credits the math works out to 2.44 so you need an alternate plan.

ask ERAU what their retake policy is, some have a nice one where the new grade completely negates the old one, some do not, but if you can retake those bad classes it should raise your GPA, then work on finishing what you need to be awarded the degree.

Rover

ERAU does allow you to replace old grades, at least they did when I went through. Im hoping that good enlisted service, a ppl, and strong act and astb scores help negate my bad college transcript. I don't know tho, I'm hoping someone here can share their similar experiences or advice.

exNavyOffRec

ERAU does allow you to replace old grades, at least they did when I went through. Im hoping that good enlisted service, a ppl, and strong act and astb scores help negate my bad college transcript. I don't know tho, I'm hoping someone here can share their similar experiences or advice.

unfortunately they have to look at what they have and your transcript does not indicate that you will be able to graduate with the required GPA, a LT I worked with who sat several STA-21 boards used to say a person isn't going to miraculously become a great college student because they have been selected for NROTC.

There are many on here that have applied for STA-21 with much higher GPA's and have yet to get in, the numbers have been low for several years now, many of those have ended up finishing their degree and subsequently applied for and have been accepted for OCS, that is really your only realistic shot, and even then it is a long shot, take the time you would spend on a STA-21 application and redo those bad classes and then apply for OCS.

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
Don't forget to take in account how to pay for it. ERAU is a private school so there is a annual cap if you plan on using the GI Bill. The STA-21 payout will not cover the costs alone.

ERAU is yellow ribbon, which covers everything over the cap using the post 9/11.