• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

Has anyone done the S&W course through distance learning (not the CD-based one)? If so, any advice how to make it as painless as possible? I'm thinking if ANY courses will be protected amidst all the chaos, it will be the three JPME ones. I just need 3 more years. Hoping this first course won't be too painful.

You can milk the three Naval War College JMPE 1 courses for 3 years of points. It's interesting (I liked S+W the best), but it can be a pain...you'll have deadlines, so it did seem like the deadlines always fell on lousy weekends or whatever. It wasn't until my 3rd course that I realized I could work really, really hard and get an A-, or phone it in and get a B. Do your best, but you'll pass no matter what.

snake020

Contributor
All these changes are as clear as mud. Who is in charge of this debacle? It'd really be nice if they sorted out the NETC course list issue.

GubMints

Regarding FEMA, what happens if you don't pass an exam? Do they tell you which ones you got wrong? Do you have a limited amount of attempts to take the test again?

m5h9

Regarding FEMA, what happens if you don't pass an exam? Do they tell you which ones you got wrong? Do you have a limited amount of attempts to take the test again?

Just take the course over again until you pass. You will get a cert via e-mail when that happens. No limit to attempts as far as I know and no feedback for missed questions.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Anybody having problems getting courses credited? My first couple of batches (snail mail - certified) went through fine but my last 4 batches (sent in May) appear to be lost in the system.

Duncan Idaho

I like cheese.
None
Anybody having problems getting courses credited? My first couple of batches (snail mail - certified) went through fine but my last 4 batches (sent in May) appear to be lost in the system.
I think they are just behind. Courses I sent in March didn't show up until late June. I was getting concerned that I wasn't going to have a good year but everything worked out just fine in the end.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Anyone have tips on good distance courses to take from the new list? I tried looking into the DAU ones, but it looks like you need a CAC which we obviously don't have as IRR members, and the DAU helpdesk is no help at all.

UPDATE: I've got some good news to share with everyone!

I called the IRR Counselors todays & told them how the 30 SEP 14 list comes up at the IRR website & NOT the 1 JUN 15 list. The guy checked it out & was puzzled when he saw that I was right.

He passed me to Chief Rincon his boss. She said we CAN USE the 30 Sep 14 list from now on! She also said in a couple of days there will be changes at the website to reflect that. They should change the date from 30 Sep 14 to a more current date for instance.

The 30 Sep 14 list has a lot more courses on it then the 1 Jun 15 list. PLUS! No fields of training! Take any course you want. I asked her if the fields of training no longer applies & she said it does not.

I asked her who approved the change & she said it was the Reserve Admiral.

Chief Rincon is pretty knowledgeable as I've dealt with her previously & she has always provided me with correct information.

Anyway, that is all.

Rob00000- Thanks much for the information. Only because I don't have great faith in the system I was wondering if anyone else has gotten confirmation from the IRR Counselors that we can still work courses from 30 Sep 14 list? I'd call PERS-912 myself only I don't feel like committing all day to no one answering their phone. Thanks in advance for any response.

rob00000

Michael, I called PERS today & they picked up the telephone immediately. I had a few questions for them as I'm now in my 20th year.

I did ask them about the 30Sep14 list & they verified we can use that list. They even changed the date of the list at the IRR website from 1Jun15 to 30Sep14 so I'm sure we're good.

That being said, if you want to call PERS again to double verify go ahead. If you do, please share any info here with the rest of us.

You asked about getting additional confirmation from the IRR counselors that we can use the 30Sep14 list? Remember, I got that info from Chief Rincon who is the chief in charge of the IRR counselors. She's the one who sends out the info to her people & is the most knowledgeable one there from what I've noticed. If her word can't be trusted then no ones word over there can be trusted as they all get their info from her.

Last edited:

Chopped

Just joined Air Warriors and have been following this thread with interest. I did 5 years active and 20 SELRES. Moved to IRR because of job conflicts with having to jump on airplanes and take time away from work to get myself to drill. Did a bunch of NRTC courses the first couple of years (hey, I spend a lot of time in airplanes and it was something to do). But the problem was that after I did all the ones I thought I could learn something from (like Master of Arms, Mil Rqts, Storekeeper, Chaplain Corps, Evals & Fitreps), I was starting to get to courses that were very time demanding because they were so technical and which did little to enhance my knowledge as a Naval Officer or in my civilian career.

So, I made a proposal to the Navy that they add some additional NRTC courses that would help folks in their military as well as their civilian career. My payment was that I was on orders for 1 weekend a month, earning 1 retirement point a day. The Navy allowed me to write the first course, which was worth 4 points and was 4 assignments (75 questions each, all multiple choice, just like all NRTC courses) and was based on Six Sigma. Part of the proposal was that I was to base the correspondence courses on books from the CNO's Professional Reading Program, so that people could get the course book for free (or e-book). I was starting to write the next course, based on the CNO PRP book, "Cyperwar" when the Navy decided not to pursue my proposal.

Too bad, this was a great program which basically cost the Navy very little and which would have added some great training materials to help navy folks once they had maxed out the NRTC courses in their specialty.

But, now that I've read this thread, I think the Navy really just wants to minimize retirements out of the IRR. Like someone here already said, the Navy needs to figure out the mission of the IRR first.

Just joined Air Warriors and have been following this thread with interest. I did 5 years active and 20 SELRES. Moved to IRR because of job conflicts with having to jump on airplanes and take time away from work to get myself to drill. Did a bunch of NRTC courses the first couple of years (hey, I spend a lot of time in airplanes and it was something to do). But the problem was that after I did all the ones I thought I could learn something from (like Master of Arms, Mil Rqts, Storekeeper, Chaplain Corps, Evals & Fitreps), I was starting to get to courses that were very time demanding because they were so technical and which did little to enhance my knowledge as a Naval Officer or in my civilian career.

So, I made a proposal to the Navy that they add some additional NRTC courses that would help folks in their military as well as their civilian career. My payment was that I was on orders for 1 weekend a month, earning 1 retirement point a day. The Navy allowed me to write the first course, which was worth 4 points and was 4 assignments (75 questions each, all multiple choice, just like all NRTC courses) and was based on Six Sigma. Part of the proposal was that I was to base the correspondence courses on books from the CNO's Professional Reading Program, so that people could get the course book for free (or e-book). I was starting to write the next course, based on the CNO PRP book, "Cyperwar" when the Navy decided not to pursue my proposal.

Too bad, this was a great program which basically cost the Navy very little and which would have added some great training materials to help navy folks once they had maxed out the NRTC courses in their specialty.

But, now that I've read this thread, I think the Navy really just wants to minimize retirements out of the IRR. Like someone here already said, the Navy needs to figure out the mission of the IRR first.
Wow! How'd you go about making that proposal? It's sort of reassuring to hear that the system worked, or started to work, for a while. How hard was it to get you back? Did you have to through MEPS and get a SELRES billet and everything? Congrats on 20 good years in the IRR btw! You're my hero!

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

UPDATE. All course have been accounted for by PERS 912. One more good year in the books.