• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Professional Reading Drop Box

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think you are reading too much into it all. I don't pretend to be an expert on how DC game is played but I am wary of some of the 'leaks' and 'trial balloons' that may or may not have been sent out, how exactly do we know their veracity or credibility? The administration has very little to nothing to gain with a release just a few months early, it would get us less than nothing with the Israelis and just annoy intelligence and security officials. The propaganda effort surrounding Pollard and his supporters is also very big and very good at getting their message across in spite of the facts, I would not be surprised if they had a hand in some of these 'rumors' to try and discredit the administration and boost Pollard's image.

Either way my main point is that the parole board was compelled to release Pollard according to the law at the time he was sentenced with few exceptions, whatever the administration wanted to do something or not.
I don't think they ever would have released him early, that is before the Nov parole possibility. That is why it may have been a signal to the parole board that the Administration would appreciate them releasing Pollard. It is precisely to avoid annoying the FBI and intel community. I like your theory that Pollard supporters planted certain info. Very interesting, and possible. Oh, and I do not believe a Federal Parole Board is compelled to release anyone. It is still a judgment call. Otherwise, why have a hearing? People are left in jail even if they are good boys because of the victim impact statements the parole board must consider. I suppose there are plenty of those arguing for his continued imprisonment. Anyway, this is about a big as my tin foil hat gets.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think they ever would have released him early, that is before the Nov parole possibility. That is why it may have been a signal to the parole board that the Administration would appreciate them releasing Pollard. It is precisely to avoid annoying the FBI and intel community. I like your theory that Pollard supporters planted certain info. Very interesting, and possible. Oh, and I do not believe a Federal Parole Board is compelled to release anyone. It is still a judgment call. Otherwise, why have a hearing? People are left in jail even if they are good boys because of the victim impact statements the parole board must consider. I suppose there are plenty of those arguing for his continued imprisonment. Anyway, this is about a big as my tin foil hat gets.

I am just not buying there were any signals, compatible with your tin foil hat at least.

'Compelled' was probably a poor choice of word, but according to the law applicable from what I know unless the parole board thought he was at risk for recidivism or was a bad boy in jail they were supposed to give him parole. To me the big one will be if he is allowed to leave the country, that would be an administration position.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did you miss the part where, by law, he has to be paroled?
Really, then why the life sentence in the first place? Haven't seen the actual "law" Flash speaks of. In any case, as I said, there are judgments. Even as Flash reports, IF he is not likely to commit the crime again. Clearly he is not likely to steal secrets as he doesn't have a security clearance, but other espionage, other crimes? IF he was a good boy in prison. IF, IF, IF. Always a judgment call or there would be no hearing. Not saying he isn't a national security threat or was a model inmate. Just saying, I doubt the Parole Board's hands are completely tied by the "law". I am curious though. When I have time I'll look into the actual governing law and regulations.

danpass

CNO TedX talk at Pittsburgh State Prison

I'm not a huge fan of his, but this was a decent talk. Not sure who the audience was, presumably not all prisoners....?

The problem that has gone unaddressed for too long is the matter of re-establishing "unconditional trust" when your subordinates have lost it in you....

http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/2014/07/loss-of-trust-and-confidence-goes-both.html

http://blog.usni.org/2014/03/20/keep-a-weather-eye-on-the-horizon-a-navy-officer-retention-study

http://foreignpolicy.com/2014/03/26...vys-leadership-of-heavy-personnel-seas-ahead/
* CDR Robert Stumpf
* The Marines of Task Force Violent

jmcquate

Contributor
Releasing Pollard won't sway Israel's opposition to the Iran deal. He was just an asset to them and nothing more. On the other hand, Pollard is still a sore spot within the IC (especially with the folks in Langley). His name actually came up a while back during a poly I was taking.......it was used as a threat.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, I just finished Ghost Fleet. It was OK, but it's no Red Storm Rising. AFAIK, this is Singer and Cole's first crack at fiction, and it shows. Fairly predictable (formulaic?) story arc with characters that lacked any real complexity or interesting attributes the reader could connect with. As a point of comparison, I always felt intellectually and emotionally invested in the Jack Ryan/Jim Greer/John Clark characters, but not so much with those in Ghost Fleet. The book is just too short to really flesh out much of anything. No surprises, no plot twists, just kind of bland. The military action sequences were interesting, but you could tell it was written by guys with no first hand experience. Nothing too glaring, but a lot of the lingo and dialogue was just a bit off.

Another annoyance was that the story was full of "we told you so" moments. "Remember when we told you that our military is overly reliant on networks/technology/satellites/GPS, etc? Well, guess what, it came back to bite us in the story." "Remember when we said we shouldn't buy microchips from China and put them in our military equipment? Well, guess what..." Climate change, blurred gender roles/same sex relationships, cybercrime, etcetera, ad nauseum - you get the picture.

I felt like every other page greeted me with a vision of Eddie Murphy from Coming to America - wagging his finger at me and saying "ahh haa!"

Finally, this book has so many references to technology and hardware that the authors decided to use end notes with hyperlinks. While this was initially interesting, it became a distraction from the flow of the story and fueled my (our culture's) short attention span and need for constant stream of novelty.

All in all, not a bad read, but knowing what I know now, I would have placed it pretty far down on my ever-expanding reading list. Honestly, the idea of another Red Storm Rising was what motived me to buy it. If you go into it with a similar mindset, prepare to be disappointed.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Lots of breathless talk about "chicoms" or "the chinese threat" surrounding the book as well.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good piece on how to communicate and make presentations. Not too many people think of low energy people in military aviation, but I have seen them. You can have a bombastic back slapper in the bar and telling raucous jokes in the ready room, but put them in front of a murder board or have them brief the Admiral and they don't seem so confident or persuasive. This was written for litigators, but much of it applies to other careers, including military officers.

http://www.natlawreview.com/article/increase-your-dynamism-don-t-be-jeb-low-energy-person

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
It almost goes without saying, but PRACTICE your presentation/brief! Items that may have worked well on paper/the screen won't always translate well to being verbally communicated - and if you're not intimately familiar with the material, well. It shows.

And yes, everyone is talking about how you said things as much as what you said.