• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Get Lasik/PRK ASAP?

graduatechunk

So I know I'm currently not qualified for SNA, I could maybe make NFO standards.

If I want to apply to the potential board in February(ish) of next year, shouldn't I get Lasik/PRK asap?

My OSO didn't seem to know the answer and is saying hold off until he can get more info, but as I will be turning 25 at the end of this month, I'm feeling the pressure to get the show on the road.

Any thoughts?

Also, is this worksheet (attached) valid in regards to the pre-op standards?

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• lasik_prk worksheet[1] (3).pdf
    78.6 KB · Views: 36

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor
Hi there,

If it's your intention to become an applicant for SNA or NFO, then yes, I suggest you get LASIK asap. There is a 6 month waiting period after the day you get surgery before you can submit your packet. If you go to MEPS before LASIK, I was told by my recruiter that it'll be a waste of time (yours and theirs).

As for your sheet, it looks correct but I would refer to this guide as the source.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/12_Ophthalmology_150430.pdf

Go to section 12.15 CORNEAL REFRACTIVE SURGERY (PRK/LASIK).

Best of luck.

N4Life

My experience is decade old, so take that into account. Get the surgery done now. I was initially informed that I could do the surgery upon arriving at P-Cola as a SNA. Upon picking up SNA, I learned that having been approved for flight training, I couldn’t do the surgery until after winging and I was moved to SNFO.

As for between the two. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY OR THE MAGICAL CREATURES THAT YOU BELIEVE IN, DO THE LASIK. In the years since, I have been attacked by wild animals, broken countless bones, had a vindictive ex-, and many other stupid (but fun) experiences. Of everything, I still have nightmares of the pain associated with the last couple of days from PRK surgery recovery. In comparison, some of my divos had Lasik and were back at work after lunch.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Do the LASIK, it's unbelievable. I was seeing 20/15 the next day and basically had no pain/dryness. 3 months out I'm still 20/20 on a crappy day and 20/15 on a good day.

Make sure to do it right and go to a good doc who has done a lot of surgeries and do the wavefront scans. Yeah it'll cost you a lot but it's very worth it in the long run.

graduatechunk

Scheduled for the 19th! I'm hoping to do Wavefront, but I guess how it goes is I'm going to meet with the Doc the day before my surgery and he will then determine which surgery is best. I'm going to push for the wavefront if it's possible.

We'll see how it goes! As someone whose worn glasses/contacts my whole life, I am very excited to be able to see un-aided.

I'm getting it done through a TLC/private doctor merged office. Apparently he's the same doc who did Tiger Woods eyes, and he has good reviews online. I'm feeling good about it.

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor
The Custom Wavefront is a machine that's used to operate your eyes. It'll entirely depend on whether he has that equipment or not. But judging that he did Tiger Wood's eyes... I wouldn't see why he wouldn't have it, haha.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
^Exactly. It's a scan they do to create a "map" of your eyes so they can refine the laser application even more. The TLC I went to did it both for LASIK and PRK so you should have the option either way.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The Custom Wavefront is a machine that's used to operate your eyes. It'll entirely depend on whether he has that equipment or not. But judging that he did Tiger Wood's eyes... I wouldn't see why he wouldn't have it, haha.
By the same token, laser eye surgery is as much about the machine as the doc. Don't pay a hefty premium just because the opthalmologist operated on a professional athlete.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
By the same token, laser eye surgery is as much about the machine as the doc. Don't pay a hefty premium just because the opthalmologist operated on a professional athlete.

Agreed, research the machine they use and make sure it is close to cutting edge, and make sure to ask how often they check and calibrate it.

graduatechunk

So my surgery is scheduled in 2 days (19th) and just talked to my recruiter who has been away/ unable to be contacted the last two weeks.

He is not familiar with the Lasik/PRK process and is basically telling me to hold off on having the surgery until he makes sure I wont permanently DQ myself by getting it. He seems to be concerned I'm doing it on my own as opposed to in conjunction with him...

I've done my research, after reading the waiver guide, I fall within the pre-operative limits, and I went over the guide with my doc and I am a good candidate for the procedure. I'm getting 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, and 6 month post-op exams.

I think I'm good here! I don't want to reschedule (to go knows when) just because my recruiter is not 100% familiar with the process. When I first spoke with him about it a month ago (before I had set things up) he wasn't even aware that Lasik was accepted now (although he said he thought PRK might be). He said he's going to get back to me tomorrow on it, but I think regardless I'm going to frame it as I cannot cancel the surgery. I hope he will still work with me :/

graduatechunk

Update^

My recruiter contacted NAMI and was told I should be good if I fulfill all the pre/post op requirements.

Crisis averted :D

exNavyOffRec

So my surgery is scheduled in 2 days (19th) and just talked to my recruiter who has been away/ unable to be contacted the last two weeks.

He is not familiar with the Lasik/PRK process and is basically telling me to hold off on having the surgery until he makes sure I wont permanently DQ myself by getting it. He seems to be concerned I'm doing it on my own as opposed to in conjunction with him...

I've done my research, after reading the waiver guide, I fall within the pre-operative limits, and I went over the guide with my doc and I am a good candidate for the procedure. I'm getting 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, and 6 month post-op exams.

I think I'm good here! I don't want to reschedule (to go knows when) just because my recruiter is not 100% familiar with the process. When I first spoke with him about it a month ago (before I had set things up) he wasn't even aware that Lasik was accepted now (although he said he thought PRK might be). He said he's going to get back to me tomorrow on it, but I think regardless I'm going to frame it as I cannot cancel the surgery. I hope he will still work with me :/

It sounds like your recruiter really has no idea what is going on, he shouldn't have had to contact anyone, he should have been able to figure it out by himself.

graduatechunk

Got the surgery yesterday and seeing clear today! I could read the 20/15 with both eyes, honestly was tough with just one eye. 20/20 was no problem for either. Hoping that I heal to a nice 20/15!

aviatorchick77

Which procedure did you end up getting? I myself am scheduled for PRK Sept. 9.
Just to add, my recruiter really had no idea what to do either... He wanted to push me to NFO even though I wanted to apply for SNA. I unfortunately went to MEPS already so I'm going to have to go again in a year. Live and let learn.

graduatechunk

Which procedure did you end up getting? I myself am scheduled for PRK Sept. 9.
Just to add, my recruiter really had no idea what to do either... He wanted to push me to NFO even though I wanted to apply for SNA. I unfortunately went to MEPS already so I'm going to have to go again in a year. Live and let learn.

I got Lasik. Just had my one week Post-Op yesterday and am seeing 20/15 in both eyes! Pretty awesome.