• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

Gator Guard

always knife hands
Thanks for the reply TimeBomb. Can you speculate on what would cause them to not give a waiver? I have been asymptomatic for 21 years and had no complications during an upper/lower jaw surgery. I also have medical records from a hematologist with a letter expressing her confidence in my health.

I'll admit I am fishing for reassurance though.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Gator,
A low platelet count might cause them not to recommend a waiver. I'm not trying to be a wise ass, but from the Navy's and NAMI's perspective, recommending or not recommending a waiver for you, or anyone else for that matter, is a business decision, pure and simple. To my knowledge, you have no unique skill set that the Navy desperately needs, and we have not spent any significant amount of money on you as of now. Even giving you a waiver for commissioning hasn't cost us all that much, since the only money we'll spend is whatever OCS costs us in salary and training costs. Until you get commissioned, there is little financial down side to bringing you in. However, once you're commissioned, we become potentially responsible for your health care until you die. Add in the cost of getting a set of wings (figure at least a couple million bucks), and if some preexisting illness means we're not going to be able to amortize that cost over a career, the decision makers might rather spend that money on someone with no known medical skeletons in their closet.

I agree that you're probably going to do ok in life, and have no problems. You may perform brilliantly in the Navy and become the next CNO. The question today is whether or not someone in the Navy wants to gamble a few million bucks on you by recommending a waiver for flight training.

R/

exNavyOffRec

Gator,
A low platelet count might cause them not to recommend a waiver. I'm not trying to be a wise ass, but from the Navy's and NAMI's perspective, recommending or not recommending a waiver for you, or anyone else for that matter, is a business decision, pure and simple. To my knowledge, you have no unique skill set that the Navy desperately needs, and we have not spent any significant amount of money on you as of now. Even giving you a waiver for commissioning hasn't cost us all that much, since the only money we'll spend is whatever OCS costs us in salary and training costs. Until you get commissioned, there is little financial down side to bringing you in. However, once you're commissioned, we become potentially responsible for your health care until you die. Add in the cost of getting a set of wings (figure at least a couple million bucks), and if some preexisting illness means we're not going to be able to amortize that cost over a career, the decision makers might rather spend that money on someone with no known medical skeletons in their closet.

I agree that you're probably going to do ok in life, and have no problems. You may perform brilliantly in the Navy and become the next CNO. The question today is whether or not someone in the Navy wants to gamble a few million bucks on you by recommending a waiver for flight training.

R/

what you said about a business decision is interesting because several years ago N3M essentially told me the same thing, I had a guy that needed a waiver and when I was on the phone with them I said this guy is going to be a nuke instructor and NRC is hurting for them, the response was "there will be someone else just as qualified coming along"

TimeBomb

Gator,
Good plan. You really can't influence this process other than by having all the required medical information properly submitted with your application. I wish you all the best.

No one would fault a training squadron CO for attriting a student who was incapable of mastering the syllabus, or of NPC administratively separating a surface officer who hasn't been able to pick up SWO quals. Business decisions. Medical screening gets viewed differently by the fleet, but it really boils down to essentially the same calculus: Are the projected lifetime personnel costs of this individual going to exceed the return on investment?

R/

TimeBomb

Atopic dermatitis is disqualifying for commissioning. You'll need a waiver to enter the Navy. I don't think JAG has any more stringent standards than general commissioning.
R/

Ok, hypothetical here. A person was on anti-depressants for one year to treat one single episode of depression. The episode and medication ended three years ago, and since then the person has been in excellent health, both mentally and physically, and has excelled in school and work. What are the chances of that person going to Navy OCS (or AF OTS)? Most of the forum gouge I've found online has said that such a person would be permanently NPQ'd with no hope, but the DoDI 6130.03 says:

"Unless otherwise stipulated, the conditions listed in this enclosure are those that do NOT meet the standard by virtue of current diagnosis, or for which the candidate has a verified past medical history:
f. History of depressive disorders, including but not limited to major depression (296), dysthymic disorder (300.4), and cyclothymic disorder requiring outpatient care for longer than 12 months by a physician or other mental health professional (to include V65.40), or any inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility.

g. Depressive disorder not otherwise specified (311), or unspecified mood disorder (296.90), UNLESS:

(1) Outpatient care was not required for longer than 24 months (cumulative) by a physician or other mental health professional (to include V65.40).

(2) The applicant has been stable without treatment for the past 36 continuous months.

(3) The applicant did not require any inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility."

exNavyOffRec

Ok, hypothetical here. A person was on anti-depressants for one year to treat one single episode of depression. The episode and medication ended three years ago, and since then the person has been in excellent health, both mentally and physically, and has excelled in school and work. What are the chances of that person going to Navy OCS (or AF OTS)? Most of the forum gouge I've found online has said that such a person would be permanently NPQ'd with no hope, but the DoDI 6130.03 says:

"Unless otherwise stipulated, the conditions listed in this enclosure are those that do NOT meet the standard by virtue of current diagnosis, or for which the candidate has a verified past medical history:
f. History of depressive disorders, including but not limited to major depression (296), dysthymic disorder (300.4), and cyclothymic disorder requiring outpatient care for longer than 12 months by a physician or other mental health professional (to include V65.40), or any inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility.

g. Depressive disorder not otherwise specified (311), or unspecified mood disorder (296.90), UNLESS:

(1) Outpatient care was not required for longer than 24 months (cumulative) by a physician or other mental health professional (to include V65.40).

(2) The applicant has been stable without treatment for the past 36 continuous months.

(3) The applicant did not require any inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility."

You need to have all documents reviewed by MEPS and N3M, the only one that can make the actual call or determination is the doc putting is signature to the ok, just too many variables as a lot will be determined by the narrative in the medical documents.

I do believe however the USN has a 5 year wait from the end of medications until a waiver will be considered for basic entrance requirements, those are in the Navy Medical Manual.

http://www.brooksidepress.org/Products/ManMed/Manmed.htm

Edit: also if the documents say anything about causing harm to self chances of N3M giving approval is almost none.

Last edited:
NavyOffRec, thanks for the reply. One last question - when N3M makes their decision, are they basing it only on the medical documents, or do they have the applicant's whole package in front of them? That is to say, if the rest of the applicant's package is stellar, could it make N3M more likely to rule in their favor?

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec, thanks for the reply. One last question - when N3M makes their decision, are they basing it only on the medical documents, or do they have the applicant's whole package in front of them? That is to say, if the rest of the applicant's package is stellar, could it make N3M more likely to rule in their favor?

The only see the medical, they don't care if a person meets only the minimums or has maxed out everything they could. Just like the board only sees the professional record no medical info.

a.j.ski

I have been researching the forums and cannot quite find the answer to my question in regards to a flight physical expiration, I believe I have a unique circumstance. I was recently medically dropped from Marine OCS due to multiple stress fractures sustained in both left and right lateral tibias. I was recommended to reapply and I am on a LOD currently being medically treated and going to physical therapy. Recently, the civilian orthopedic surgeon has cleared me and I am able to return to any type of physical activity. I am just awaiting approval from the Navy Medical Officer overseeing my case. While attending Marine OCS, I had a flight contract at the time and had passed through NAMI meeting all the requirements. If I am not mistaken, my flight physical was completed and good to go OCT/NOV 2014. My question is: Would I have to be reevaluated, head down to NAMI again, and get another flight physical before reapplying to Marine OCS? Just keep in mind this is Marine OCS in which we have to have our completed flight physical before being selected for a flight contract. I had asked my OSO but, he just responded that it was "something to look into." So I am taking the initiative and trying to uncover the answer. Thank you.

romoth

Good afternoon gentlemen and ladies,

During my application process (meps tomorrow) I have found out that the medical records for a partial nephrectomy and double ureter correction surgeries that I had when I was less than one year old are no longer available. Ive been cleared for meps with the submital of a hand written statement about the surgeries but im wondering if that will suffice later down the road with ocs and nami. Applying for sna sfo.

Thank you for your time,
Best of luck to all

Atreyu098

I have a question if anyone can answer!

I am currently an SNFO waiting to class up for advanced. I have already completed primary and intermediate, and did very well. I went in today for my yearly checkup and I failed the puff test in my left eye. I was getting 27mmHg while my right eye was fine. They said it could be thick corneas or early signs of glaucoma.

Obviously, now I am freaking out. It doesn't run in my family, and with my career on the line I am wondering any opinions. Could pressure in eyes fluctuate from sleep cycles or anything like that? Is a thick cornea disqualifying?