• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2016 STA-21 Applicants

nicken

I posted my stats a few months ago but my stats has been changed alot. Here is my new stats.

RATE/RANK:BM3
APPLYING FOR: SWO/CORE
EVALS: EP EP
High School GPA: 3.57
COLLEGE: Georgia Tech, Mechanical Engineering, 129 credits (Already completed Calc 1,2,3, DiffyQ, Physics 1,2 with all A)
GPA:3.2
AWARDS: 1 NAM
TIS: 1 year 6 months
ACT: 24 English, 35 Math
WARFARE QUALS: SW
PRT: Good, Good, Good
LORs: My college counselor, My old LCPO
Leadership: WCS, OOD in port, DCTT, working on Deck Safety Officer.
MISC: I have passed FE (Fundamental Engineering) exam.

I noticed the weakeast part of mine was quals exceeding my pay grade so I pretty much focused on qualifications for last 3 months. Everything is pretty much done. My interview boards will be scheduled on May.

Last edited:

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
I have some pretty solid LOR's for you to look over if you'd like. Email me. Bryson.k.goforth@navy.mil

I also have some advice from previous boards that will help you. These boards tend to go about the same way. I'll be able to give you some tools to not get cornered and look like a fool should the certain questions arise.

oceanov

MEPS Medical Technician
RATE/RANK: HM2
Warfare Qual: SW
APPLYING FOR: Pilot/Core
EVALS: EP P MP MP MP
COLLEGE: 56 credits
GPA: 3.92
TIS: 7 years, 2 months
ACT: 24 Math, 23 English; 24 Composite
SAT: 530 Reading, 630 Math
ASTB: 55 6 7 6
PRT: Fail, Excellent, (hopefully Outstanding in 2 weeks)
LORs: Previous DIVO, College Math Professor

I'm sure my PRT failure with place my package all the way behind other's. But I've put in too much work and research in this program. But the experience I will get from the boards and writing statements will be good practice, according to my CO.

brysonkgoforth, do you know of any selects with a PRT failure?

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
RATE/RANK: HM2
Warfare Qual: SW
EVALS: EP P MP MP MP
COLLEGE: 56 credits
GPA: 3.92
TIS: 7 years, 2 months
ACT: 24 Math, 23 English; 24 Composite
SAT: 530 Reading, 630 Math
ASTB: 55 6 7 6
PRT: Fail, Excellent, (hopefully Outstanding in 2 weeks)
LORs: Previous DIVO, College Math Professor

I'm sure my PRT failure with place my package all the way behind other's. But I've put in too much work and research in this program. But the experience I will get from the boards and writing statements will be good practice, according to my CO.

brysonkgoforth, do you know of any selects with a PRT failure?

First, I'd like to say welcome to AirWarriors. Your stats look decent but I think you could use some serious boosting to be competitive.

As to your PRT failure:

• Certified copies of the last three PRT/PFA results on PRIMS report.
    The most recent PRT must have been passed with a minimum score of GOOD or received a waiver. For applicants who received a waiver on the most recent PRT, points will be awarded from the most recent observed score from the latest full test taken within a year of application (i.e. Fall 2013 & Spring 2014). A grade of SATISFACTORY or FAILURE of the above two required PRTs, will make the applicant INELIGIBLE.

I interpret that as you are being graded on your previous two PRT's, however, they will see the failure since you are required to turn in your last 3. That being said, you are a slight liability to the board. I don't mean this to discourage you at all! I think it would help to know what academic courses you have taken. Have you completed calculus? How far are you from a bachelors? Who do you know in the Pilot community that can mentor you/recommend you for this program. You need to begin networking NOW! This program is about support. Without support from your prospective community you won't know what the board is looking for. I would do your best to find someone who can guide you in molding yourself into the best Pilot applicant you can be.

I think you should still apply. Will this be your first application?

My first application was a complete and utter dud. I got my package shut down by the Nomination Review Board. I learned SO MUCH from that first package. It set me up for a future stellar package. I think you can do this. Let's hear your plan!

oceanov

MEPS Medical Technician
First, I'd like to say welcome to AirWarriors. Your stats look decent but I think you could use some serious boosting to be competitive.

As to your PRT failure:

• Certified copies of the last three PRT/PFA results on PRIMS report.
    The most recent PRT must have been passed with a minimum score of GOOD or received a waiver. For applicants who received a waiver on the most recent PRT, points will be awarded from the most recent observed score from the latest full test taken within a year of application (i.e. Fall 2013 & Spring 2014). A grade of SATISFACTORY or FAILURE of the above two required PRTs, will make the applicant INELIGIBLE.

I interpret that as you are being graded on your previous two PRT's, however, they will see the failure since you are required to turn in your last 3. That being said, you are a slight liability to the board. I don't mean this to discourage you at all! I think it would help to know what academic courses you have taken. Have you completed calculus? How far are you from a bachelors? Who do you know in the Pilot community that can mentor you/recommend you for this program. You need to begin networking NOW! This program is about support. Without support from your prospective community you won't know what the board is looking for. I would do your best to find someone who can guide you in molding yourself into the best Pilot applicant you can be.

I think you should still apply. Will this be your first application?

My first application was a complete and utter dud. I got my package shut down by the Nomination Review Board. I learned SO MUCH from that first package. It set me up for a future stellar package. I think you can do this. Let's hear your plan!

This is my first application. Also, I do not have any pilots to network with. I'm currently stationed at an Army command hundreds of miles away from a Navy base.
As far as my college credits go, I have an A on Precalculus. If selected, I will have to use up most of the 3 years offered by the program at ASU. If not selected, I can finish my degree online through UMUC in 1.5 years and apply through OCS.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
Start networking now. Reach out to officers/commanding officers/shipmates. I think the key here is to find out what they are looking for on this board. Obviously if you impress them with the STA-21 criteria you will do well. Sounds like you're in the same place I was for my first application. I have three pilots and an NFO contact. E-mail me and I'll screen you for interviews with them. bryson.k.goforth@navy.mil

These officers will be able to guide/mentor you in your application (as long as they agree). I would hope they would. I would just like to get to know more about you before I forward you to them blindly.

Are you planning on taking Calculus and Physics? Be aware that they are requirements for all STA-21 selectees with the exception of Nurse Corps.
Showing your ability to complete these courses would greatly enhance the attractiveness of your application.

How close are you to submitting this year? Have your boards been conducted?

oceanov

MEPS Medical Technician
Start networking now. Reach out to officers/commanding officers/shipmates. I think the key here is to find out what they are looking for on this board. Obviously if you impress them with the STA-21 criteria you will do well. Sounds like you're in the same place I was for my first application. I have three pilots and an NFO contact. E-mail me and I'll screen you for interviews with them. bryson.k.goforth@navy.mil

These officers will be able to guide/mentor you in your application (as long as they agree). I would hope they would. I would just like to get to know more about you before I forward you to them blindly.

Are you planning on taking Calculus and Physics? Be aware that they are requirements for all STA-21 selectees with the exception of Nurse Corps.
Showing your ability to complete these courses would greatly enhance the attractiveness of your application.

How close are you to submitting this year? Have your boards been conducted?

I will email you with my work email on Monday.

The degree I am looking at at ASU meets the Calculus and Physics requirement from the STA-21 instruction.

The boards have not been conducted yet.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
I would recommend completing CALC 1 and 2 and Physics 1 and 2 for your package next year.

How many years of eligibility do you have left for the Pilot program?

I will be out of the office Monday, but will return Tuesday for a short while. I have finals on Tuesday so I requested special lib, but I'll still be in the office during the morning. Shoot me an email and we'll set something up. I want to make this happen for you. Hopefully we can develop a plan for you.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
How is everyone doing? The air has been silent for a while. I hope everything is going well for all of you, good luck to all!

NFOAO

Hello Everyone,

This is my 4th year applying for the STA-21 program and to be quite honest I do not know what else I could do to better my package. I have included all of my stats below and could use any words of wisdom for the forum to help with some last minute tweaks.

RATE/RANK: AO2
Warfare Qual: AW/SW
APPLYING FOR: NFO/Core
EVALS: MP(E-4), #1MP(E-4), #1MP (Frocked E-5), #2MP, #1EP
COLLEGE: 105 credits
GPA: 3.33
AWARDS: 1 NAM, 2 LOC, SOY, 3 LOA
TIS: 4 years, 10 months
SAT: 560 Reading, 590 Math
ASTB: 54 7 7 8
PRT: Excellent, Good, OPDET
LORs: CDR Pacific Fleet, Captain Ex-Skipper
Acceptance Letter to University and Degree Plan already signed by Academic Advisor
Associates of Science Degree 3.3 GPA
150 Hours of Volunteer work documented
Partner in Education Award from Virginia Beach Public Schools

This is my last year of eligibility before I must go OCS and with the deployment schedule it has been tough to finish my degree. I would rather use the benefits of STA-21 but I will go OCS if need be. Thanks for your inputs.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
Hey NFOAO,

Welcome to AirWarriors!

I saw that they only picked one NFO last year. Just wondering....what are you studying? What is your level of mathematics? The Chief they picked up last year has an Associates in Mathematics and has already completed Calculus 1 and 2.....have you?

Have you seen and studied the Fleet Brief from STA-21?

Only two LOR's? I have a CAPT NFO who might be willing to write a letter for the right candidate. Email me @ Bryson.k.goforth@navy.mil. I hope I can help you out. I'm not a pilot applicant, but hopefully I can find some weak areas with you and we can attack them! Good luck!

ol'Dusty

RATE/RANK: LS2
Warfare Qual: AW/SW
EVALS: #1 EP(E-3), MP(E-4), #2 EP (Frocked E-5), MP, #1EP
COLLEGE: 64 credits, Associates in General Studies
GPA: 3.88
AWARDS: 2 NAM, 1 LOC, JSOY, JSOQ, BJOQ
TIS: 5 years, 1 month
ACT: English: 27 Math: 25 Composite:28
ASTB: 61 6 5 6
PRT: Excellent, Good, Good
LOR: Commander, Strike Fighter Wing, U.S. Pacific Fleet. My Commanding Officer and Nomination Review Board Chairman are both Legacy STA-21 officers.

I have applied once before, and my package has improved drastically. I have improved my ACT scores, my physical fitness, I was able to finish my AGS degree, and take a precalculus course.
I also have taken a leadership position out of my current rating.

JFC2009

I will be applying for FY 17; this is also my first application. Any help or constructive criticism would be a highly appreciated!
RATE/RANK: MN2 (in process of NC conversion)
EVALS: EP, P (Just Checked in to my command), EP, EP, EP, EP
COLLEGE: Pursuing Bachelors in Business Adm. 80 Credits so far. I am currently taking junior level classes.
HIGH SCHOOL: Diploma poor GPA (Grew up in a pretty rough neighborhood needless to say I joined the navy to leave that lifestyle.)
LEADERSHIP: Assistant Command Career Counselor for 1000 sailors, was a QA WCS before the conversion process, and was the CIC ALPO at my last command and Asst 3MC.
COLLATERALS: MWR Vice President, Military Volunteer Program coordinator, CAT team member, and Bystander Intervention to The Fleet facilitator
AWARDS: 2 NAM, 1 MOVSM, and multiple LOA's.
TIS: 5 years 10 months
SAT: 530 Math 500 English (first time taking SAT EVER! I'm not a good timed test taker.)
PRT: 2015(1) Good -2014(2) Excellent -2014(1) Good
LORs: 1 o5, 1 o4, 1 LT, 1 Admiral (All within the same community)
QUALs: CIC Watch Officer, CDO, 3M Dept. Head,
MISC: My dream since I've joined the Navy is to command a ship and now not only do I want to command a ship, but I want to help the sailors that make that ship run. I am heavily involved in the Volunteer Community logging over 300 Hrs. of service in the past 2 years and starting a flagship partnership with local elementary school, all while being a full time college student, and raising my kids. My grades aren't the best but I am committed to giving my children a better life and maximizing every opportunity to excel in the Navy.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
I will be applying for FY 17; this is also my first application. Any help or constructive criticism would be a highly appreciated!
RATE/RANK: MN2 (in process of NC conversion)
EVALS: EP, P (Just Checked in to my command), EP, EP, EP, EP
COLLEGE: Pursuing Bachelors in Business Adm. 80 Credits so far. I am currently taking junior level classes.
HIGH SCHOOL: Diploma poor GPA (Grew up in a pretty rough neighborhood needless to say I joined the navy to leave that lifestyle.)
LEADERSHIP: Assistant Command Career Counselor for 1000 sailors, was a QA WCS before the conversion process, and was the CIC ALPO at my last command and Asst 3MC.
COLLATERALS: MWR Vice President, Military Volunteer Program coordinator, CAT team member, and Bystander Intervention to The Fleet facilitator
AWARDS: 2 NAM, 1 MOVSM, and multiple LOA's.
TIS: 5 years 10 months
SAT: 530 Math 500 English (first time taking SAT EVER! I'm not a good timed test taker.)
PRT: 2015(1) Good -2014(2) Excellent -2014(1) Good
LORs: 1 o5, 1 o4, 1 LT, 1 Admiral (All within the same community)
QUALs: CIC Watch Officer, CDO, 3M Dept. Head,
MISC: My dream since I've joined the Navy is to command a ship and now not only do I want to command a ship, but I want to help the sailors that make that ship run. I am heavily involved in the Volunteer Community logging over 300 Hrs. of service in the past 2 years and starting a flagship partnership with local elementary school, all while being a full time college student, and raising my kids. My grades aren't the best but I am committed to giving my children a better life and maximizing every opportunity to excel in the Navy.
Email me Bryson.k.goforth@navy.mil and I'll do a record review on you. I could pinpoint your weak and strong areas. I also have a lot of contacts in the surface community (O6-O8) as well if you're interested. I hope I can help!

cjdmcgarry

RATE/RANK: AE2
APPLYING FOR: PILOT
EVALS: MP, EP, P (First E5 eval.. wasn't in the frocking group)
COLLEGE: 89 credits
HIGH SCHOOL: 3.1
AWARDS: 1 NAM, JSOQ '14, JSOY '14
TIS: 3 years, 6 months
ACT: Eng 32, Math 24
ASTB: 52, 6,8,9(pilot)
WARFARE QUALS: AW
PRT: GOOD, GOOD, GOOD
LORs: 1 O6, 1 O4

Open to any suggestions. Thank you.