• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Living in Fallon

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Looking for some basic info about the pros and cons of living in Fallon or one of the outlying cities. Anyone living there now?

Fallonflyr

pilot
I have lived in Fallon for the last 20 years. Very small town environment with great access to outdoor activities. Schools are ok, kids have gotten into all top schools and service academies from the local high school. We home schooled. Cost of living is pretty low. One hour drive to Reno, 1.5 to Lake Tahoe and skiing, 3 hours to SAC and just over 4 hours to San Francisco. If you are into horses or off road motor sports, there is no better place to be.

Farva01

BKR
pilot
I am on my second tour in Fallon right now (willingly) so I will just throw that out to start with.
First time I was a single guy. Reno is a kick ass town with great bars and restaurants. Every month there is a beer crawl and wine walk, most of which are themed. South Lake Tahoe and North Lake Tahoe are both an hour an a half away and also have there own great nightlife. You can ski or snowboard for free everyday of the week (when Tahoe has snow). During the summer every outdoor activity you can imagine is easily accessible (to include pulling off the side of the road and shooting). Once a year you can hit up Burning Man for a truly different life experience.
This time I am married with a young daughter. My wife is loving it and we are discovering more of the small town charm. I go to my local butcher and get fresh grass fed beef, we get a kick-ass produce box from Lattin Farms weekly. My wife and kid have music classes/MOPS meetings/Kinderjam all week. I live on an acre of land with the river on the back of my property for $1200 a month in rent. Oh and we go hiking ever weekend or snowboarding.
Fallon has everything you need to live on a daily basis. Alot of people live in Fernley, but I never saw the benefit (unless my wife worked in Reno). I would rather drive fifteen minutes to work everyday and an hour to Reno once a week than 35 minutes everyday.
The air is crisp and the weather is beautiful and there are no state taxes.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pulling off the side of the road and shooting... Once a year you can hit up Burning Man for a truly different life experience.

This is why I love this country. :) Though I haven't attended Burning Man, I have raged around and camped on the Black Rock Desert several times. A life altering experience to be sure.

https://flic.kr/p/8gyPKw
https://flic.kr/p/8gyQxC

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah, Fallon is hated on by many, lived in by fewer, but I think appreciated by most all of those few. I live in Fernley, which is a bit of a drive from work, but we did it to split the difference between me working at Fallon and the wife working in Reno & Carson. I wouldn't ever really promote Fernley given the cost of commute and the fact that it is literally a town that you would typically stop for gas in and wonder who lives in such a place.......but it is a 30 min drive from Sparks/40 to Reno, which makes our weekend lives much better. Fallon itself is a good town, with all the good things Farva mentioned, and I it has a bit more of a community too. If you like the outdoors, or the west coast, or being close to god's country (the PNW), it is for you. I remember coming here as a JO and thinking I could never do it, but when I looked at the flying, the job, the closeness to home (Oregon), etc, I realized it was a good fit and it became my #1. Really glad some people looked out for me and it happened.

oh yeah, to dog hump on what was said before, rent/mortgage is CHEAP out here. We live in a really awesome (2k sq ft) place on the golf course, fully renovated, with a kitchen island that you could comfortably sleep two on. It was just shy of 200K. I don't think you can find that anywhere else you can go in the Navy, at least nowhere we have been (standard flight school, Miramar, Oceana)

Last edited:

Gainful

pilot
Is the Slanted Porch still open? Lunch (when we had time for it) was always a highlight of being in Fallon because of that place.

BrittO

pilot
I have lived in Fallon for the last 20 years. Very small town environment with great access to outdoor activities. Schools are ok, kids have gotten into all top schools and service academies from the local high school. We home schooled. Cost of living is pretty low. One hour drive to Reno, 1.5 to Lake Tahoe and skiing, 3 hours to SAC and just over 4 hours to San Francisco. If you are into horses or off road motor sports, there is no better place to be.
Fallonflyr...did you homeschool up till high school?

Fallonflyr

pilot
Home schooled from 5th thru 12. My daughter went to GATE at the elementary school 2 days a week in 5th and 6th and graduated from the Churchill County High School thru their on line program. (allows the kids to do sports)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
If you want to know how awesome living/flying in Fallon is, just look at how many go back for multiple tours. The people that hate it, either never lived there or never embraced it.

Farva01

BKR
pilot
If you want to know how awesome living/flying in Fallon is, just look at how many go back for multiple tours. The people that hate it, either never lived there or never embraced it.
By December this year 7 out of the 9 post DH VFA guys will be repeat offenders to Fallon.

Gainful

pilot
If anyone is out there in VFC-13 currently I'd love to hear from you in a convo. Got some questions about life out there.