• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserves and PLC

Jspav

I'm an incoming freshman this fall and I've been talking with both an elisted recruiter and a officer selection officer. My end goal is to become an officer but I'm curious if enlisting in the reserves while in college will benefit me in any way whether it be in the PLC selection process or just the experience. The enlisted recruiter is telling me that going through the reserves then applying for PLC is a more beneficial route when it comes to being selected opposed the officer selection officer who recommends against it. I found a post discussing the exact same predicament but it was from a few years ago and I'm curious if some aspects would have changed since then.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...My end goal is to become an officer but I'm curious if enlisting in the reserves while in college will benefit me in any way whether it be in the PLC selection process or just the experience. The enlisted recruiter is telling me that going through the reserves then applying for PLC is a more beneficial route when it comes to being selected opposed the officer selection officer who recommends against it...

Not knowing anything about current Marine recruiting I would go with the advice to the Officer recruiter and not the enlisted one, especially if your end goal is being an officer. Remember that the enlisted recruiter is worried about enlisting folks, not if they become an officer. I am not saying recruiters lie but the truth can often change....

Jspav

Not knowing anything about current Marine recruiting I would go with the advice to the Officer recruiter and not the enlisted one, especially if your end goal is being an officer. Remember that the enlisted recruiter is worried about enlisting folks, not if they become an officer. I am not saying recruiters lie but the truth can often change....
Got it. And yeah trusting either of these guys has been half the battle. They've both been real cool but in the end they're each trying to get me to sign a contract. I appreciate the advice.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Don't do it. One of my sons tried to go that route and ended up without a commission and without a college degree. He did get to make a couple of all expense paid trips to the sand box while enrolled in college though. The other son stayed in college, worked hard, partied hard, went PLC and is now at his first fleet squadron.

Jspav

Can you afford college?
Yes I can. They way the recruiter put it I could es
Don't do it. One of my sons tried to go that route and ended up without a commission and without a college degree. He did get to make a couple of all expense paid trips to the sand box while enrolled in college though. The other son stayed in college, worked hard, partied hard, went PLC and is now at his first fleet squadron.
Alright thanks for the heads up. That really puts a face to this whole predicament for me. Do you know of anything in particular that got your son selected or made him stand out? I haven't started college yet so I have a blank slate when it comes to having the credentials necessary to be selected.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Alright thanks for the heads up. That really puts a face to this whole predicament for me. Do you know of anything in particular that got your son selected or made him stand out? I haven't started college yet so I have a blank slate when it comes to having the credentials necessary to be selected.

Who knows what they saw in him. Good timing was a factor for sure. He was a pretty average student with better than average grades. His ASTB scores were "passing" for a Marine but nothing special. He didn't have perfect PFT scores but they were close. He was a good multi-sport athlete in high school and wrestled in college. He's a tough kid that never quit anything in his life and he comes from a Marine family. I'll have to admit I was a little surprised he made it in on his first try but I never doubted he'd end up as an officer of Marines eventually.

Go to college, make good grades, have fun and get into great physical condition. Don't do anything stupid (DUI's, drugs etc.) and apply for PLC early.

Jspav

Who knows what they saw in him. Good timing was a factor for sure. He was a pretty average student with better than average grades. His ASTB scores were "passing" for a Marine but nothing special. He didn't have perfect PFT scores but they were close. He was a good multi-sport athlete in high school and wrestled in college. He's a tough kid that never quit anything in his life and he comes from a Marine family. I'll have to admit I was a little surprised he made it in on his first try but I never doubted he'd end up as an officer of Marines eventually.

Go to college, make good grades, have fun and get into great physical condition. Don't do anything stupid (DUI's, drugs etc.) and apply for PLC early.
Alright that sounds pretty similar to me honestly. Thanks so much for the info and the advice. This made my decision a hell of a lot easier.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I would go with the advice to the Officer recruiter and not the enlisted one, especially if your end goal is being an officer. Remember that the enlisted recruiter is worried about enlisting folks, not if they become an officer.

What Flash said.