• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS Med Waiver Question

unbroken

Naval officer
Hi all,

I've posted this also on the Naval Reserves cite and apologize for the double post -- I didn't see this thread until I'd already posted elsewhere.

Quick question: Went through MEPS recently, and all went well except that apparently if you are female and have benign ovarian cysts (which is true for a large #, if not most, women), this is potential grounds for disqualification. I've never had any medical issues with them, but the Navy is still requiring me to submit additional medical information so that it can be considered for a waiver.

Is there anything I can do for this besides submit a letter from my Dr. stating that they are benign, common, and shouldn't limit my performance? Even my MEPS dr. said he used to see that all the time in women, but I feel like the military finds just about any reason to DQ these days.

Secondary to that, two follow up inquiries:

(1) If I am not granted a waiver, does this also DQ me from pursuing the reserves in another branch of service?

(2) Say I get them removed, which is a very simple procedure anyway. Could I then reapply or are you PDQd regardless of condition? If I could reapply, how long would I have to wait?

Thank you!

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
unbroken,
The instruction states that "persistent or clinically significant" ovarian cysts are disqualifying. I'm guessing that the additional information N3M is requesting is to document that the cysts are neither persistent nor clinically significant. How were you diagnosed with ovarian cysts?

For the follow up questions, the standard cited is from the DoD instruction, which all services use as the minimum standard. Each service adjusts their waiver policies depending on their manpower needs.

If these are truly benign ovarian cysts, they will probably regress and new ones will form over time. No need to get them removed. The next time you go for a physical, you'll probably have some new ones. If you have polycystic ovary syndrome, that's another diagnosis, also disqualifying.
R/

unbroken

Naval officer
unbroken,
The instruction states that "persistent or clinically significant" ovarian cysts are disqualifying. I'm guessing that the additional information N3M is requesting is to document that the cysts are neither persistent nor clinically significant. How were you diagnosed with ovarian cysts?

For the follow up questions, the standard cited is from the DoD instruction, which all services use as the minimum standard. Each service adjusts their waiver policies depending on their manpower needs.

If these are truly benign ovarian cysts, they will probably regress and new ones will form over time. No need to get them removed. The next time you go for a physical, you'll probably have some new ones. If you have polycystic ovary syndrome, that's another diagnosis, also disqualifying.
R/

Thanks for the response. They were diagnosed because I was experiencing abdominal pain for a few days, so my doctor did a ultrasound exam and one appeared. Ironically, it was on the opposite side as where the pain was originating from, so my doctor and the ob/gyn concluded that they were unrelated, and that the pain probably had to do with a dietary reaction to something (it went away after a few days, and I haven't had an issue with it since).

Dermoid cysts are asymptomatic and completely benign (and I assume therefore 'clinically insignificant'), but they do not regress.

What exactly qualifies something as 'persistent'?

oceanov

MEPS Medical Technician
Hi all,

I've posted this also on the Naval Reserves cite and apologize for the double post -- I didn't see this thread until I'd already posted elsewhere.

Quick question: Went through MEPS recently, and all went well except that apparently if you are female and have benign ovarian cysts (which is true for a large #, if not most, women), this is potential grounds for disqualification. I've never had any medical issues with them, but the Navy is still requiring me to submit additional medical information so that it can be considered for a waiver.

Is there anything I can do for this besides submit a letter from my Dr. stating that they are benign, common, and shouldn't limit my performance? Even my MEPS dr. said he used to see that all the time in women, but I feel like the military finds just about any reason to DQ these days.

Secondary to that, two follow up inquiries:

(1) If I am not granted a waiver, does this also DQ me from pursuing the reserves in another branch of service?

(2) Say I get them removed, which is a very simple procedure anyway. Could I then reapply or are you PDQd regardless of condition? If I could reapply, how long would I have to wait?

Thank you!

Usually, when you mention in the letter that it has been more than 2 years since it happened and it has not bothered you since, there is a big chance a waiver is headed your way.

As for your follow-up questions:

(1) No, I see plenty of applicants who are DQ'd from Navy or Air Force move to Army or National Guard.

(2) Get them removed, and then submit med docs right away to MEPS, and it really depends on how the Chief Medical Officer reads it.

exNavyOffRec

Usually, when you mention in the letter that it has been more than 2 years since it happened and it has not bothered you since, there is a big chance a waiver is headed your way.

As for your follow-up questions:

(1) No, I see plenty of applicants who are DQ'd from Navy or Air Force move to Army or National Guard.

(2) Get them removed, and then submit med docs right away to MEPS, and it really depends on how the Chief Medical Officer reads it.

It really doesn't matter how the Chief Medical Officer reads it as he doesn't make any call at all on officer candidates, it only matters what N3M thinks of it.