• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shotgun help!

Pags

N/A
pilot
AW Gun Nuts-
I'm at the in-laws place and stumbled across an ancient savage arms .410. Long story short I seem to have activated some sort of safety (tailpiece?) that I can't turn off and now the bolt won't go home. In the attached pic the switch I moved is stuck at the 3 o clock position and I need it to get back to the 6 o'clock position. Ideas on how to fix it or just take it to a gun shop?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35

Renegade One

None
Not sure this will help, but take a look at the below YouTube video. Looks like your bolt is now in the "uncocked position" (when it's cocked, which it does automatically when the bolt is cycled aft, the little lever will be farther aft and into that small retaining cutout.) According to the video, you can remove the bolt and re-cock it by hand by rotating the piece in two hands. I know the video isn't exactly the shotgun you have, but I'm guessing that the bolt action is the same on the single-shot, tube-fed or magazine fed variants.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvyzOouGZl8

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Very similar to the bolt on a Mosin-Nagant M1891/30. Interesting.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Watched the video but still no joy. I can't get the bolt out by pulling the trigger back as in the video.

based on what R1 said it looks like I managed to decock it. Some other forums have shown that to cock it you have to pull against a 30lb spring to get it back in the cocked position.