• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

A7Dave

pilot
If anyone is looking at the Glock 43, look at the Walther PPS. Not PPK, PPS. It is a single stack, striker fired pistol. You can get them either in 40 or 9mm. With one in the chamber and the finger tip extended magazine it holds 7 (40 SW). The flush fit is 6, including one in the chamber. It is super slim and easy to carry. Like any gun other than a Glock, SW or Sig, holsters can be difficult to find, but Milt Sparks makes several to fit.

It is super accurate, has multiple back straps, and points on target perfectly. Walther does a horrible job of marketing them and they should be more popular. I've had mine for 6 years and have shot everything from Winchester "white box" paper punching ammo to my full power duty ammo (Federal 180 Gr HST load) and it eats it all without a hitch.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It seems as though the Walther PPS is the Escalade to the Shield's Tahoe. S&W and Walther have had other partnerships. This is one. The PPS is more pricey than the Shield but is a bit more ergonometric. I don't know if they are build in the same place so there may be reliability and fit finish differences as well. And you always have the Walther mystic, whether PPK or not. :)

A7Dave

pilot
Yup. S&W screwed the pooch with Walther. Neither did a good job with the gun. When I first bought it years ago, there were NO holsters. None. I think Walther ditched the relationship with SW. The need some serious adult supervision. The new PPX looks like a crappy 150 dollar Hipoint. I was at the range today and a guy next to me was shooting a throw down Hipoint and I almost packed up early - I was afraid it might blow up when he shot it.

After I shot a couple magazines from the PPS, my side blast scared the Hipoint dude off as I was testing out my new Ruger Red Hawk 44 Mag. Finally upgraded after 18 years from the Black Hawk for my bear gun. I can hose off 5 rounds of 305 grains of hot steamy goodness in half the time with the RH compared to the BH.

rreagan3

VP-NESS
None
I have a Walther PPS in .40 S&W. It kicks pretty powerful, but it's a small .40 so that's to be expected, I guess. I have had 1 stoppage with it - just recently, actually (1 in probably 500-600 rounds). I was halfway through my first magazine that day and the slide locked to the rear and wouldn't go forward. I had to use my car key to push the release down, and scarred the slide a bit. Between that malfunction, the scarring, and the Nazi RSO's at the Koko Head range, I'd had enough and went home to check it out. It turns out that the spring that pushes the slide release up had come out of it's slot in the slide release lever and lodged underneath, pushing it up just enough to stay quite stubbornly in the way of the slide. I had to fish the spring out with a sewing needle and tweezers to reseat it. That was shortly before I left for a det and I haven't had a chance to try it out again. I was a little disappointed that the gun failed in that way, it seemed like a cheap engineering oversight. Perhaps I put too much stock in the "Made in Germany" on the side...

When I bought it, I had just received my Florida Concealed Cary Permit and naturally needed to celebrate by buying a CC Pistol. I really liked the Glock 26/27, but I wanted a single stack for carrying so I went with the PPS. I'm looking forward to trying out a 42 or 43, perhaps it's time to update the roster.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
When I bought it, I had just received my Florida Concealed Cary Permit and naturally needed to celebrate by buying a CC Pistol. I really liked the Glock 26/27, but I wanted a single stack for carrying so I went with the PPS. I'm looking forward to trying out a 42 or 43, perhaps it's time to update the roster.

You know lurk, you could just carry a 223 that says Made in W. Germany like a real man.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I really like the Walther PPK for conceal carry. The .380 model holds 6+1 rounds. (The .32 model, which is harder to find, holds 7+1. The PPK/S holds an extra round.)

It doesn't have much recoil. It's easy to group shots. It's got a heavy initial trigger pull, so most folks carry it holstered with the safety off.

Make sure to check the serial number in the S&W recall.
Walther-PPK-380_0728.png

exNavyOffRec

I really like the Walther PPK for conceal carry. The .380 model holds 6+1 rounds. (The .32 model, which is harder to find, holds 7+1. The PPK/S holds an extra round.)

It doesn't have much recoil. It's easy to group shots. It's got a heavy initial trigger pull, so most folks carry it holstered with the safety off.

Make sure to check the serial number in the S&W recall.
Walther-PPK-380_0728.png

When you introduce yourself do you go "I'm Bond, James Bond" :D

Hair Warrior

Contributor
So the weapon you really need to master is this . . .
05-09-2014-powerpoint-logo.jpg

The "Bond was an Intel O" claim had to be responded to. :D
Haha. Yes sir. I am actually a great Powerpoint writer/briefer. I enjoy it. I've written decks and briefed them to O9 level.

If I meet you and you ask what I do, I say "I sit in a windowless room and stare at Powerpoint all day." Which, at Booz Allen, is mostly true. Powerpoint and meetings.

Going back to the Bond films, Bond was only an intel officer on paper. He was on permanent loan to MI6.

Ian Fleming was a naval intel officer and mostly served in an admin/HQ role: "Fleming proved invaluable as Godfrey's personal assistant and excelled in administration" (Wiki). - that must be 1942 code for Powerpoint.

OldNavy

That would be nice.

I go up to Mayport 2 - 3 times a year for "mental health" weekends away from the wife and daughter.

If I want to bring my firearm, I have to stay off-base rather than staying at the Navy Lodge.

azguy

None
This is a very long thread so I apologize for not searching...

For you Sig Sauer P320 owners, what are your thoughts? I own a Glock 19 and see the P320 as a potential upgrade with the ability to change it out to full size or subcompact weapons relatively inexpensively.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Having just shot a full size 320, I have to say its an impressive piece of gear. The trigger is nothing short of superb! The rest of the ergonomics are pretty Sigg standard as far as grip angle and feel and your hand. I did not find the slightly higher bore axis to be an issue.

The fit and finish are very high and the internals are all carefully polished which explains why the trigger is exceptional

This is going to be a popular choice for many agencies and I suspect you are looking at the next US military standards SideArm

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The Glock 19 is a "go to war" ready pistol, out of the box. It deserves a place in your system. A great use case is your household or truck "go bag" - G19, 4 mags, unused credit card, $1k in small bills cash, first aid kit, etc.