• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about being a SWO after OCS

KMC1020

So, what's up with this 2nd class swim test I've heard about. Is it something SWOs do in OCS or when they get to their ship?

Wait, what?? I didn't know SWOs had to pass a second class. I was going to count myself lucky if I passed a third class swim qual in OCS.

Larick

None
Contributor
Yes. Not sure if you have to complete it in OcS or at your ship.
Just to add on from my last post to help clear it up. During your last phase at OCS, there is going to be sign up sheets for certain days with time slots to do your 2nd class swim qualification. They do provide days to practice the strokes. It is up to YOU as to whether or not you want to do it at OCS or at your next command. You have that choice. From what I've heard from friends who did it at their respective commands as opposed to OCS, the instructors didn't really observe them. As long as you didn't drown you passed. At OCS, they critique everything from start to finish. Personally, do it at OCS right the first time so you don't have to worry about it when you leave OTCN. Make copies of the paperwork, get it in your record, and you're good to go!

Last edited:

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Personally, do it at OCS right the first time so you don't have to worry about it when you leave OTCN. Make copies of the paperwork, get it in your record, and you're good to go!

This times a thousand! OTCN jacked up my OMPF so bad, I'm still trying to square it away and I've been in the Navy almost 4 years. Those jackwagons have no idea what they're doing when it comes to paperwork.

rpat1987

Surf n Turf
This times a thousand! OTCN jacked up my OMPF so bad, I'm still trying to square it away and I've been in the Navy almost 4 years. Those jackwagons have no idea what they're doing when it comes to paperwork.
I think that's every branches personnel section. I submitted paperwork last year, multiple times, to update my OMPF for the E7 board, but it still hasn't been updated. Not that it matters now. That's why I keep an "I Love Me" book full of all of my awards, schools, and certs.

ClassyGent23

That's really a tough question to answer because it's very subjective. It's going to depend on what you're looking for. If you want a fast-paced and more stressful tour - pick a cruiser or destroyer. Want something slower but less combat-oriented, pick an amphib. Want to work your ass off and have a smaller crew - pick a minesweeper.

People generally have preferences for job, homeport, or platform. I usually choose based on homeport.

For some reason for I always got the impression that an amphib would be more combat oriented? Why is it less? Also what about Litoral Combat Ships? Also...someone told me that it would be easier to pin on a smaller ship like a minesweeper because you will have a more intricate role?

Hopefully you can shed some light on these questions.

azguy

None
I would steer clear of MCMs. Lots of issues there that will make your life harder than it needs to be.

On an amphib, your whole job in life is to transport Marines from A to B. A vital mission for sure, but it's generally a slower paced life than CRUDES.

Bluecore

I would steer clear of MCMs. Lots of issues there that will make your life harder than it needs to be.

On an amphib, your whole job in life is to transport Marines from A to B. A vital mission for sure, but it's generally a slower paced life than CRUDES.

Slower paced in a bad way? I mean, is the difference in the day to days comings and goings that different?

I am actively looking for information on all the different platforms, so any and all elaboration on them would be invaluable. (Yes, I am actively using the search function as well :))

ClassyGent23

Slower paced in a bad way? I mean, is the difference in the day to days comings and goings that different?

I am actively looking for information on all the different platforms, so any and all elaboration on them would be invaluable. (Yes, I am actively using the search function as well :))

Same here, all information is welcome. Does having a "slower pace" make it harder down the road? I wouldn't want to make an initial decision with not enough information and have it come back to haunt me.

exNavyOffRec

I worked with a surface nuke LT that did his first sea tour on a MCM he said very hard duty, he had fun but said it isn't for everyone, and if it isn't for you then your life will be miserable, he was prior enlisted army and was used to being shot at, so if I remember right he said that when he was in Afghanistan he had long hours and was being shot at, and on the MCM he had long hours but no one was shooting at him so it was an improvement.

azguy

None
I'd encourage both of you guys to join SailorBob, there are plenty of threads that cover this question.

In the SWO community, AEGIS (CRUDES) gets the most money, best toys, creates almost all of our Admirals, etc.

I'm biased based on my experience. I think that driving around fast missile shooters is a lot of fun. Some amphib guys love doing their stuff.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
For some reason for I always got the impression that an amphib would be more combat oriented? Why is it less? Also what about Litoral Combat Ships? Also...someone told me that it would be easier to pin on a smaller ship like a minesweeper because you will have a more intricate role?
Hopefully you can shed some light on these questions.

I believe LCS is still a 2nd tour only gig. There's a heavy duty training pipeline you have a to pass in order to serve on one. My suggestion is to focus on going to an LSD/LPD or DDG. Cruisers and LHDs are so big and there are so many ensigns, that you will be competing for time doing special evolutions (conning an UNREP, OOD during sea and anchor, etc.) that it might be harder to get your pin in the 18 months you're given. Also, you can fall between the cracks since there will be so many of you. MCMs are a hard lifestyle, but you'll learn a lot since you will have so many jobs and will be in the thick of everything since will be so few officers on board. The small ships like PCs and MCMs are also a completely different Navy; so there may be a substantial amount of system shock when you arrive at a DDG for your second tour and you suddenly have to learn all about AEGIS and UNREPs and stuff.

KMC1020

I'd encourage both of you guys to join SailorBob, there are plenty of threads that cover this question.

In the SWO community, AEGIS (CRUDES) gets the most money, best toys, creates almost all of our Admirals, etc.

I'm biased based on my experience. I think that driving around fast missile shooters is a lot of fun. Some amphib guys love doing their stuff.

Trying to join Sailor Bob now and it wants my military rank and the 2 digit number for the Arleigh Burke Destroyer Class. Not sure what to put for the rank, and have no clue what digits they're talking about. Just want some good info on SWO, geez!