• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Free liquor when flying in economy? Yes please!

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
My cohorts and I always enjoy raiding the sports charters that we work. Nothing like taking home two or three trays of filets. (On the inbound leg of course - we wouldn't take the multimillion dollar athlete's food before they've flown...) :)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
So they didn't have your choice, but did have food? Do you propose they cater 150 of each of the three or four choices? They will be happy to do that if you and the rest of the paying passengers are willing to pay for the waste and cost of accommodating that much food. As it is, with people always complaining about airline food it is hard to take complaints about availability too serious. Next time sit closer to the front or make nice with a flight attendant telling her what has happened the last two times and maybe she will start from the back or save something for you.
By 'food' do you mean that they always had an item from the entree list leftover and not just a few snack bags? Because if you mean an entree, then no, they don't always have food.

And don't worry, I will continue to bring my own food on the plane in my carry-on. I'm just pointing out that the airline in question is probably still missing the ball. But you knew that from all the complaints they are ignoring.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Guess I will have to change my airline for my AMEX $200 credit. Or, I can just step my game up on the domestic flights and truly wellied.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
So United has upped the game to compete with other carriers internationally, by offering free liquor and enhanced meal service on their international flights.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/today...free-beer-wine-in-long-haul-economy/25783291/

I recall when I was younger the level of service/food/drink were of course MUCH higher while flying, now that same service is relegated to First or Business class seats only. I am curious if this will create any other changes or offerings from the other major carriers.

Not sure about the alcohol but the level of service on Emirates was absolutely outstanding: from the cleanliness and plushness of the airplanes to the attractive stewardesses - it was like going back in time. Doubt if it is something the domestic airlines want to hear but it was really, really nice.

As for those of us not in the airline industry, Delta recently devalued it's SkyMiles frequent flyer program dramatically. Good website called The Points Guy http://thepointsguy.com/ that will keep you up on the latest deals.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm actually okay with charging for booze onboard, if only because you see what happens on flights/classes where it's complimentary. There's always one or more pax who interpret "free booze" as "I can and should drink all of it".

Not that the results aren't sometimes the best entertainment...
301731cf16c1db986f48dff3e04a6b58.jpg

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure about the alcohol but the level of service on Emirates was absolutely outstanding: from the cleanliness and plushness of the airplanes to the attractive stewardesses - it was like going back in time. Doubt if it is something the domestic airlines want to hear but it was really, really nice.
The gulf carriers are not competing fairly so they can afford that. If you dig deep enough into the ownership filings and org charts that are required from them when they enter certain western markets, but don't own up to publicly or in their own countries, it is shocking. Forget for a minute outright state subsides. The gulf states model for an airline would look like this at Delta. Members of the Board of Directors would also sit on the Federal Reserve Board, the airline would own the airports and the head of the FAA would be the CIO for Delta. The CEO of Delta would be the CFO of the leasing company that provides planes to Delta and the airline would control the Eagle Ford oil fields in TX. Delta would be non union and most of their employees paid below industry standard because they are foreign nationals. Yup, they put on a good product. But they can afford to. Most any other airline in the world can't.

As for those of us not in the airline industry, Delta recently devalued it's SkyMiles frequent flyer program dramatically. Good website called The Points Guy http://thepointsguy.com/ that will keep you up on the latest deals.
Sorry to say, because I have a lot of miles, you may see that coming to other airlines soon enough. Delta now does it like Capitol One or even AMEX. That is more rational, but not nearly as good a deal for those already banking lots of miles in ailrine programs.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
The gulf carriers are not competing fairly so they can afford that. If you dig deep enough into the ownership filings and org charts that are required from them when they enter certain western markets, but don't own up to publicly or in their own countries, it is shocking. Forget for a minute outright state subsides. The gulf states model for an airline would look like this at Delta. Members of the Board of Directors would also sit on the Federal Reserve Board, the airline would own the airports and the head of the FAA would be the CIO for Delta. The CEO of Delta would be the CFO of the leasing company that provides planes to Delta and the airline would control the Eagle Ford oil fields in TX. Delta would be non union and most of their employees paid below industry standard because they are foreign nationals. Yup, they put on a good product. But they can afford to. Most any other airline in the world can't.

Big article about this in The Economist

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Southwest has free liquor too. Three days a year...Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day (Luv Day), and St. Paddy's. It's actually on the menu in fine print.

And HAL, I have been drinking the water out of Boeing Springs for 12 years, and I am strong like ox. Don't be scared, brother!