• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2016 STA-21 Applicants

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
Well, at least in my ship, you have to be a 1st class or above to be an OOD in port. For Underway OOD, you have to be an officer. I am trying to get other leadership quals before July; Deck POIC, Rig captain, Boatswain's mate of watch, LSE, scene leader, etc.

....and now you see why getting that qualification would be MONUMENTAL to your package. The qual exceeds your paygrade and shows your capacity to serve as an officer. I was OOD In Port as a 3rd class. Like I said, don't let anyone tell you that you can't!

exNavyOffRec

....and now you see why getting that qualification would be MONUMENTAL to your package. The qual exceeds your paygrade and shows your capacity to serve as an officer. I was OOD In Port as a 3rd class. Like I said, don't let anyone tell you that you can't!

Some commands will not even let you start a qualification until you are at the paygrade you can stand the qualification, I was at one of those, while I couldn't qualify another that was the same paygrade at me at a different command could.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
Some commands will not even let you start a qualification until you are at the paygrade you can stand the qualification, I was at one of those, while I couldn't qualify another that was the same paygrade at me at a different command could.

Very true, but it's definitely worth a shot. Better than saying you never tried. That's my biggest regret of sea duty; being that I never got my OOD underway qualification. I was satisfied with my CSOOW... I wish I would have pushed harder. I wish everyone the best of luck in your application! Hopefully you are all formulating packages and preparing for FY-16!

nicken

Very true, but it's definitely worth a shot. Better than saying you never tried. That's my biggest regret of sea duty; being that I never got my OOD underway qualification. I was satisfied with my CSOOW... I wish I would have pushed harder. I wish everyone the best of luck in your application! Hopefully you are all formulating packages and preparing for FY-16!

Hm...I'm kinda lost right now. They closed SWO/ED option again...

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
Hm...I'm kinda lost right now. They closed SWO/ED option again...

There is always OCS.
Career Intermission Pilot Program may be an option for you to become a SWO/ED http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/21st_century_sailor/tflw/pages/cipp.aspx

Read the above link. It will allow you to get out and finish your degree if selected. It may not be right for you, but it's an option if you're set on SWO/ED.
If you choose URL (SWO) you could always request a lateral conversion after a few years.
You have options....explore them.

ProSkater

RATE/RANK: IT2
APPLYING FOR: IP/CORE
EVALS: EP, EP, EP, EP- I've never received anything less than an EP.
SMART: A lot
COLLEGE: American Military University. GPA 3.98. AS Computer Application
HIGH SCHOOL: G.E.D (I dropped out of High School)
LEADERSHIP: ACFL,Mentor-ship, IDWS Trainer, Boys Scout Mentor etc.. I do a lot of Volunteering on my off time.(Also lead a lot of Volunteering projects.)
AWARDS:1 Commendation Medal, 1 NAM, 1 LOA. BJOQ, BJOY DESRON, BJOY.
TIS: 4 years 10 months
SAT: 1398
WARFARE QUALS: ESWS/IDWS
PRT: Good, Good, Maximum. I injured myself early last year which hurt my run time. So once that got healed up I went straight to the top again.
LORs: two 0-5's. 2 0-6's.

MISC: I'm going for Computer Science. I have already completed CAL 1 and I'm going to be done with CAL 2 before I send in my package. I have Network+ Security+ and should have my CCNA by the time I turn in my package. I was also a VBSS member. I can speak two critical languages fluently listed on the DLPT.

How competitive do I look? What can I improve on?.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
You look REALLY competitive! Keep up the hard work! I look forward to hearing the results of your application. Have you already started your application?

weq820

FY16 STA-21 Applicant, Pilot
RATE/RANK: CTN2
APPLYING FOR: Pilot/Core
EVALS: MP (PMA), MP (frocked to e4), EP (#9 of 49), EP (#5 of 52)
COLLEGE: At least 77 transferable credits
HIGH SCHOOL: 3.84
TIS: 3 years, 4 months
ACT: 26 Math, 36 English
ASTB: 5/5/5/50 (meh, I know)
WARFARE QUALS: EIDWS
PRT: Excellent x3

Just wanted to throw my stats up here. Whether they're good or terrible doesn't matter much at this point! Good luck to everyone this year! :)

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
RATE/RANK: CTN2
APPLYING FOR: Pilot/Core
EVALS: MP (PMA), MP (frocked to e4), EP (#9 of 49), EP (#5 of 52)
COLLEGE: At least 77 transferable credits
HIGH SCHOOL: 3.84
TIS: 3 years, 4 months
ACT: 26 Math, 36 English
ASTB: 5/5/5/50 (meh, I know)
WARFARE QUALS: EIDWS
PRT: Excellent x3

Just wanted to throw my stats up here. Whether they're good or terrible doesn't matter much at this point! Good luck to everyone this year! :)

Hey CTN2! Welcome to Airwarriors. Will this be your first application?

Can any previous Pilot Selects help this sailor out?

I don't know much about the Pilot community, but if you need any help with STA-21 package submission questions I'd be glad to help.

Where are you in mathematics?

Los_23

Posting to see what yo guys think and if you have any advise. This is my first time posting. This will be my second time applying in 3 years. I decided not to apply last year because i needed to work on my board skills, ACT, ASTB, and Credits.

RATE/RANK: AT2
APPLYING FOR: NFO/CORE
EVALS: MP, EP, EP, EP, P- P is because i just checked in to NATTC (Check-in P).
SMART: A lot
COLLEGE: ERAU. GPA 3.3 . 72 credits 5 away from AS
HIGH SCHOOL: Diploma good GPA
LEADERSHIP: Safety PO, Mentor-ship for over 900 students, Instructor to over 25 students(Sailors and Marines), Middle School Flight Academy Mentor Volunteer, SAPR VA etc..
AWARDS: 1 NAM, 6+ LOA.
TIS: 5 years 10 months
ACT: 22, but just took it again this month, waiting on scores
ASTB: 50, 5, 6(pilot), 7(NFO)
WARFARE QUALS: AW/SW in process for MTS
PRT: All excellent, one good
LORs: 1 o5, waiting on one or two from State Senators.
MISC: I am in the process of completing MATH 112 which says it includes Calculus in the syslabus. Currently waiting on a responce from Escambia County Fire Dept to volunteer with them. I am also regularly volunteering at the local Middle School helping mentor students and build their new Flight Academy program.

weq820

FY16 STA-21 Applicant, Pilot
Hey CTN2! Welcome to Airwarriors. Will this be your first application?

Can any previous Pilot Selects help this sailor out?

I don't know much about the Pilot community, but if you need any help with STA-21 package submission questions I'd be glad to help.

Where are you in mathematics?

This will be my third package. I submitted for FY14, but FY15 never made it to the selection board due to some issues I ran into last year. But I'm back on the horse for FY16!

I have Calc I completed with an A, and that's it so far.

My package is complete (except for the Spring 15 pfa results) and now I'm just waiting on the interviews. Being from the CT community, public speaking is one of my weaknesses -- That's not to say I can't do it, I just get nervous and become less articulate. Because of the nervousness, the interviews are my least favorite (and yet, most important!) part. So, any advice you have in regards to those would be greatly appreciated!

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
This will be my third package. I submitted for FY14, but FY15 never made it to the selection board due to some issues I ran into last year. But I'm back on the horse for FY16!

I have Calc I completed with an A, and that's it so far.

My package is complete (except for the Spring 15 pfa results) and now I'm just waiting on the interviews. Being from the CT community, public speaking is one of my weaknesses -- That's not to say I can't do it, I just get nervous and become less articulate. Because of the nervousness, the interviews are my least favorite (and yet, most important!) part. So, any advice you have in regards to those would be greatly appreciated!

Awesome! Sounds like you'll be on par with mathematics. I've done some trend analysis via FLTMPS and noticed the patterns of selection. Math is of extreme importance if your ACT/SAT scores don't indicate you are ready for Calculus. SHOWING your ability to complete CALC 2 is very important FYI.

Public speaking is a difficult thing to learn and teach. I am 9502 Navy Instructor qualified, which helps alleviate a lot of the anxiety one would have public speaking. I think the best way to succeed in a public speaking board environment is to be honest, open, and frank.

Think about it this way...Since you say this is your second package you should have a BURNING desire for commission.

When speaking to the board members you should display this desire to them. They should feel your urgency with every word. Just imagine you are speaking to your friend, or a junior sailor you are trying to inspire. Take your time with your responses and don't feel rushed. They want to examine not only what you say, but how you compose yourself under pressure. Officers face opposition and definitely face intense pressure, in which you may not have much time to formulate a response. So your tact is ultimately being gauged.

Training comes with experience. Jump into some training evolutions at your command. LEAD your command in training. The more experience you gain in speaking in front of people, the more comfortable you will feel.
There is no easy solution to this problem. But you have options in front of you to mitigate some of the fear and anxieties you may have. I hope this helps. It has served me well.

If you would like to reach me, feel free to at Bryson.k.goforth@navy.mil.

Los_23

A couple things changed from my last post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RATE/RANK: AT2
APPLYING FOR: NFO/CORE
EVALS: MP, EP, EP, EP, P- P is because i just checked in to NATTC (Check-in P).
JST: A lot
COLLEGE: ERAU. GPA 3.3 . 72 credits 5 away from AS in Aeronautics (ERAU is a NROTC College as well)
HIGH SCHOOL: Diploma good GPA
LEADERSHIP: Safety PO, Mentor-ship for over 900 students, A-School Instructor to over 25 students(Sailors and Marines)x's 3 classes by JULY, Middle School Flight Academy Mentor Volunteer, SAPR VA etc..
AWARDS: 1 NAM, 6+ LOA.
TIS: 5 years 10 months
ACT: 26 math 21 English
ASTB: 50, 5, 6(pilot), 7(NFO)
WARFARE QUALS: AW/SW (will have MTS by July)
PRT: 2013(1) Excellent 2013(2) Excused 2014(1) DEP/OP 2014(2) Good 2015(1) Working for excellent so I can become ACFL
LORs: 1 o5, 1 Congressmen 1 O5 Retired who was also my Physics instructor 1 State Senator.
MISC: I am in the process of completing MATH 112 which says it includes Calculus in the syllabus. Just got hired as Volunteer Fire Fighter ECFD. I am also regularly volunteering at the local Middle School helping mentor students and build their new Flight Academy program.

If anybody has example LOR's and tips for the boards, that would help a lot too. GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!