• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

May be heading to NAS North Island, anyone familiar with apartments in the SD area?

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Married? Downtown if you want to be in the thick of things. If you want a slightly more chill feel, consider North Park, Kensington, etc. Those areas aren't the suburbian acres and acres of newly built tract homes like you will find in Eastlake, but you can get single family homes (small and generally older) but still be able to walk to a bar and a restaurant. Both of which will serve organic, free-range, gluten free lettuce, and martinis with artisanal, cruelty-free, zero carbon footprint olives, or some such. These areas don't have a lot of large apartment complexes, but there are smaller ones and homes for rent. Lots of homes there have small back houses that they rent out.

Eastlake seems to be the go-to place for people with 2.4 kids and a Labra-poo-triver-mation in the yard. Large houses, cheaper, tons of military, a minivan in every garage and charter school on every corner.

PB has beach access, and access to beach bars. The smell of weed hangs over the city, and you can't go more then 3 days without seeing someone playing hackeysack. Great, relaxed bar culture. Except for the Bro-Diego crowd of MMA wannabes. Property crime is kind of a thing. IMO, you should have friends who live in PB so you can crash at their place, but you shouldn't live there yourself.

This island is great, but so friggin expensive. And most of the apartment complexes there have pretty awful reputations these days, so you are better off with a private rental. (Check Yelp if you do consider the larger complexes.) For O3 BAH, you'll get about 9 sqft of space, but you can walk or bike to anything on the island, including work, restaurants, bars, the beach, etc. If your wife plans on working, she'd likely have to drive off island every day, so the benefit of being close to everything is diminished. If one of you has to commute anyway (though she'd be going in the opposite direction of bridge traffic), to me, it stops being worth the extra money to live on the island.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You kids no nothing about the bridge commute. Back in the day every car had to stop and pay a toll or hand out a pre paid ticket at those quaint old time abandoned toll booths you drive through at 45 mph. There were twice as many squadrons and a USNS or some such ship was in port most every day, CV present or not. Two CVs? Forgetaboutit!

I hated those stupid tickets you could buy. I'd always seem to run out of them when I didn't have a $20 in my wallet to buy more.

Forgetting 9/11 traffic issues that popped up for a few months, I was there when there were S-3s, CVs, a USNS, and the toll. I went back after the S-3s were gone, there were 1-2 USNSsses and the toll was gone. Traffic was about the same prior to the toll area, but the single biggest thing that I think helped traffic flow (which still sucks) once on the Island was having an entrance gate and an exit gate.

What I found absolutely maddening was trying to get OFF the island after 1445. It would be a normal occurrence to take 30 minutes just to get from the T-line to the bridge. There had to be a better way. I found that way was to just make sure I left before 1430!

kejo

pilot
I lived in both downtown and PB, here are my experiences:

Downtown: Amazing location, walked to Padres games and the 1000+ bars and restaurants whenever I felt like, mass transit pretty much anywhere else. Watched a homeless man take a shit on the sidewalk outside my apartment building. Find friends to split a decent place.

PB: Amazing location, walked to the beach and the 100+ bars and restaurants whenever I felt like, my beach cruiser sufficed for longer distances. My house was broken in to twice in the last month I lived there before moving to PCola. Find friends to split a decent place.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably stay a little further away from the Gaslamp in downtown, maybe Little Italy or Banker's Hill, and more north in PB (closer to La Jolla). Or North Park. Mission Hills doesn't get mentioned often but always seemed nice to me.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Lived in PB for ~2 years. Never had the crime problem that others have mentioned but I can definitely believe it. After 3 or 4 months of getting thrown out of the shitty cantina bars PB got old. If I had to do it again I'd play the long game and live downtown from the get go, although I do bank around 1k a month in BAH living in the slums.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Why would you live up there. That would be a crappy commute, IMO, though people's ideas of acceptable commutes vary. I think you'd probably have to allow at least an hour.

BENDER

pilot
Why would you live up there. That would be a crappy commute, IMO, though people's ideas of acceptable commutes vary. I think you'd probably have to allow at least an hour.

Found some decent properties out there for a good price. It's 16.1 miles and google maps says it's a 30mim drive. A hour drive with traffic sounds terrible though... I'll look elsewhere. Thanks

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The big trick for San Diego is to be commuting against traffic. If you're going with traffic, it can be miserable and a relatively close location will still take forever to travel from or to. A good tool to get an idea is to use the Google Maps historic traffic option to see what's red during the morning and evening drive times. Sometimes it can be worth taking a mile or so of pain during a portion of the drive when the rest of the drive is fairly smooth, and that tool can show you that.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Found some decent properties out there for a good price. It's 16.1 miles and google maps says it's a 30mim drive. A hour drive with traffic sounds terrible though... I'll look elsewhere. Thanks

Maybe my "hour" estimate is unnecessarily pessimistic, but I think 45 minutes certainly isn't. I just checked google and it said that leaving on Monday at 7 am, it would be 25-45 minutes. You'll be on a stretch of the 5 that can be quite nasty. Some days might be fine, but the issue is when you have to be on time, and that time is during rush hour. There are definitely people who live out that way, so clearly to them, it is manageable. Driving that far in order to get to acres and acres of suburbia and McMansions wouldn't ever appeal to me. Are you married with kids? If so, I can understand more of the draw, though I think you can still get a nice tract home with decent size and a community pool for a shorter and more predictable commute. (Check Tierrasanta, if that's what you are looking for. We lived there and while I hated the Suburbia-ness, it was a good commute--predictably 25 minutes or less to the Island--and the neighborhoods are a bit older which makes them feel less cookie cutter. I was told the schools were good as well, though don't speak from experience.)

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
I've got a furnished apartment in Little Italy available during June and July or a 2/1 house in the heart of Southpark for long term. Both pimp. PM if interested...

BENDER

pilot
Maybe my "hour" estimate is unnecessarily pessimistic, but I think 45 minutes certainly isn't. I just checked google and it said that leaving on Monday at 7 am, it would be 25-45 minutes. You'll be on a stretch of the 5 that can be quite nasty. Some days might be fine, but the issue is when you have to be on time, and that time is during rush hour. There are definitely people who live out that way, so clearly to them, it is manageable. Driving that far in order to get to acres and acres of suburbia and McMansions wouldn't ever appeal to me. Are you married with kids? If so, I can understand more of the draw, though I think you can still get a nice tract home with decent size and a community pool for a shorter and more predictable commute. (Check Tierrasanta, if that's what you are looking for. We lived there and while I hated the Suburbia-ness, it was a good commute--predictably 25 minutes or less to the Island--and the neighborhoods are a bit older which makes them feel less cookie cutter. I was told the schools were good as well, though don't speak from experience.)

Married with a dog but no kids. My primary concern is my wife's safety when I'm gone on deployments, so I have just been looking in the burbs. That and we are really trying to avoid living in another apartment. Townhome is ideal.

I didn't even know about the historic google traffic. Thanks

Dirty, PM sent.

manbearpig

Moving to SD in a week, anyone have any leads on places to rent in in the South/North Park ares? Looking for something with a small yard and garage.