• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy HR Contacting IRR Folks...

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Two of my fellow new hires, former military (one retired, one doing the reserve gig til he can retire), had medical issues (one surgery, one blood clot) that downed them during probation. The Union did a great job of getting them through the hurdles to get their medical back quickly. They are both vocal proponents that support the union and what it did for them. Their stories are great to hear, and make me wonder how difficult it would be for the average pilot to get through the system and get their medical back (especially a Class 1) as quickly as they did with the support of a knowledgeable Union medical department that is there to address these issues. As e6 mentioned, there are so many Union departments there that provide support. I thought I had read and talked to enough people prior to getting hired at the airlines to understand that dynamic, but in many ways it was a huge eye opener to see all that the union does on the pilots behalf.

Now contract negotiations and union politics is a whole other matter! Glad our contract negotiations are done for a couple years! Hope Delta, UA and the rest get great contracts to help advance the industry! :D

ChuckM

pilot
Thanks for expanding on that... Follow on question: Other than the medical and other tangible benefits, do you guys find yourself as pro union? On principle unions give me pause.... Not to get too political, but has anyone else had to come to terms with that? (Sorry for the thread drift.)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Thanks for expanding on that... Follow on question: Other than the medical and other tangible benefits, do you guys find yourself as pro union? On principle unions give me pause.... Not to get too political, but has anyone else had to come to terms with that? (Sorry for the thread drift.)

Down sides: politics, defending those that shouldn't be, getting the jobs back of guys who were fired and should stay fired.

Up sides: defending your job and you as an individual, buffer between you and mgmt, legal defense if ever needed, ALPA medical, ALPA PAC representing/defending the profession in DC, and most importantly your pay and quality of life.

Year two guys aren't making $12k/month because the company is just throwing cash at them out of good will.

This goods far out weigh the others, and it's up to you how much of the noise you want to listen to. Some guys will die early because they get so worked up in Union chaff, others can't tell you who their MEC reps are. It's a personal choice at the end of the day, but we wouldn't be where we are without a union.

Just realized I basically could have just cut and pasted this...

Perfect example of why pilots have labor unions. The company would have probably thrown the baby out with the bath water. Easier to hire and train a new pilot than to pay and then work with him or her to rehabilitate into a flying status. The union provides a medical rep, legal help, mutual aid for catastrophes, substance abuse counseling, contract admin for disputes, a negotiating committee to hammer out rules and pay, and a lot of other day to day things that are vital in this career. I didn't get it when I signed up for this job, but boy am I glad I have it now. There are drawbacks, such as the inability to fire morons until they bend metal or nearly do so. For the 99.99 percent that do a great job, it is a vital organization.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Got another letter today reminding me of the many benefits of Sel-Res. I also go a letter from the Office of Personnel informing all my personal information has been compromised via data leak. Awesome.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Got another letter today reminding me of the many benefits of Sel-Res. I also go a letter from the Office of Personnel informing all my personal information has been compromised via data leak. Awesome.

Fingerprints too. Thanks, assholes.